S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Gern-pipe / PWJDM Intake + Tune. Opinions appreciated.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gern-pipe / PWJDM Intake + Tune. Opinions appreciated.

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if there were any s2ki members out there who have both the almighty Gern-pipe and the Password JDM intake installed and tuned using Flashpro; I'm curious to know about the gains under the curve with both of those parts together. I ask because based on a lot of research, and what seems to be fairly common knowledge now, the Gern-pipe seems to be one of the ONLY exhaust systems out there that actually makes a difference (and a massive one at that). Also I kept seeing people post in intake threads, and even that one big intake sticky, about how the Password JDM intake is so amazing and is one of the only intakes to make good power throughout the powerband. The only proof of that was actually an old thread that was a test done by Gernby; I just remember him talking about how impressed he was with the gains this intake had. Like most people, that's all I had to read to be sold on it hahaha, especially coming from somebody like him.

In a nutshell, I'm looking to improve midrange power/torque as much as I can. I know the PWJDM intake and the Gern-pipe together will be a pretty penny, but I tend to favor efficient n/a setups and understand the exponential price difference between horsepower/dollar when it comes to boost and n/a, so don't try to sway me. I couldn't care any less about peak hp, I just want that power under the curve. I have an 06 with Flashpro + dyno tune planned soon to help with that infamous low rpm bog/hesitation etc. I had an AEM V2 on my old Ap1 that had a huge help on midrange just by the inherent design of cold airs and their resonance humps, but never had a tune since ap1 ems options were a lot pricier.

If there's anybody out there who has this setup and would like to share some details on it, I'd greatly appreciate it! I have been on the fence about doing an FIPK + 60mm test pipe + flashpro tune and settling for that or going all out and saving for the good parts.

Thanks for any and all input, I appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember reading a thread about the gernzaust and it picked up like 5-10whp iirc in the midrange over a test pipe. I'm running a fipk and test pipe on the stock exhaust rn and I'm waiting on a gernby tune but spending $2500 more on the gernzaust and pwjdm intake to pick up 10-15 whp is a waste of money (imo) that can be used to improve other parts of the car.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the reply man, thats what i was thinking too. that setup you have was actually my main plan, but i started looking into cold air intakes for that low end/midrange.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM
HDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFR-S2k-
Spending $2500 more on the gernzaust and pwjdm intake to pick up 10-15 whp is a waste of money (imo) that can be used to improve other parts of the car.
I agree!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak for the specific items you mentioned but...

FIPK and invidia test pipe will drastically improve the midrange with a tune. Absolute best bang for buck mods. It's a big bump in torque and much lower vtec point. Even just running the toda map with those mods wakes the car up. I really don't see the need to spend more but if you have the funds then go crazy.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah all that was ever on my mind was an fipk and test pipe but wondered how come nobody had the "best" intake and "best" exhaust setup together.. Maybe $$$.

The more i think about it, im realizing that the flashpro unit, fipk, and test pipe will be cheaper than just one of the parts i discussed anyways.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the "stock tuned" off the shelf map from the flashpro rn while waiting on my gernby tune and it made a big difference over stock so I csn only imagine what difference the gernby tune will make!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I meant to post on this last week, but didn't get a chance. The PWJDM intake is actually the one I was running all through development of the Gern-Pipe, so they definitely are very complimentary to each other. As mentioned above, neither of the components are known for making peak gains on the dyno, but both are known for making significant midrange gains. The combination literally makes the torque curve feel much like a V6, since there is so little difference in torque at 3600 and 6500 RPMs. It's almost flat!

The benefit of that wound up being very obvious on the track or autocross course, since gear selection through corners was so much less critical. However, there was somewhat of a psychological downside, since the upper RPMs felt weaker in relation to the lower RPMs. It took some of the "boy racer" nature out of the car.

Here are some results from a long dyno session I did years ago to capture good results from the same car on the same dyno and same day with various configurations. The results from the PWJDM are significantly under-stated, since that intake really shows much higher gains when the car is actually moving at a significant speed. My CAN-Bus dyno showed about 10 HP better than you see in the graph below for the PWJDM.

The following users liked this post:
djmadness604 (04-02-2017)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Man thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Gernby, that gain down low at around 3500 rpms is very intriguing to me on the pwjdm run. Those gains are great, how are the differences between the setup you just posted vs a basic tp, fipk, and flashpro tune?

Im having one hell of a battle in my head debating the two setups due to the price difference, haha.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Did the PWJDM intake loose power up top compared to stock?
Do you have a comparison with ITB's as well?