S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

GT Wing Options

Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT Wing Options

Hey so i'm looking to get a gt wing for my car, it is going to be tracked but also daily driven. I'm planning on keeping the oem soft top and was wondering how rear visibility is like with a gt wing? Especially those of you that have a centre mounted GT wing (Voltex type 7, APR GTC-250). Also i'm running a staggered set up of 245r and 215f but will upgrade to 255r and 225f once these tires are done. What wing would you guys recommend? I personally like centre mounted wings more but the visibility of the soft top is pretty bad as it is.

P.S If anyone knows what this wing is called please let me know http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5269/img1515sy1.jpg
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garykoo
Hey so i'm looking to get a gt wing for my car, it is going to be tracked but also daily driven. I'm planning on keeping the oem soft top and was wondering how rear visibility is like with a gt wing? Especially those of you that have a centre mounted GT wing (Voltex type 7, APR GTC-250). Also i'm running a staggered set up of 245r and 215f but will upgrade to 255r and 225f once these tires are done. What wing would you guys recommend? I personally like centre mounted wings more but the visibility of the soft top is pretty bad as it is.

P.S If anyone knows what this wing is called please let me know http://img113.images.../img1515sy1.jpg
I have a Voltex Type 7 wing on my S with 275mm stands and it's not a problem at all. When I switched to 195mm it was slightly annoying to have the top of my mugen top's glass covered but it's still fine for driving. I think if you get 245mm stands or 225mm stands you'll still clear the back glass. '

As for the center mount it doesn't bug me at all - I forget it's even there lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Originally Posted by garykoo' timestamp='1390407318' post='22977653

P.S If anyone knows what this wing is called please let me know http://img113.images.../img1515sy1.jpg
I have a Voltex Type 7 wing on my S with 275mm stands and it's not a problem at all. When I switched to 195mm it was slightly annoying to have the top of my mugen top's glass covered but it's still fine for driving. I think if you get 245mm stands or 225mm stands you'll still clear the back glass. '

As for the center mount it doesn't bug me at all - I forget it's even there lol.

Wow thanks, i thought the centre mount would bother most people but i guess you just get used to it and just curious does the Type 7 give more downforce than say the Type 1 or Type 2? Or is it just a different mount?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Wow thanks, i thought the centre mount would bother most people but i guess you just get used to it and just curious does the Type 7 give more downforce than say the Type 1 or Type 2? Or is it just a different mount?
Yeah it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't even notice it any more. I prefer the center mount because of two things:

1. The Type 7 is the only Voltex wing made specifically for the S2000 and the FD.
2. It comes with reinforcement plates underneath the trunk that matches the trunk's design. This helps reassure me that the trunk will not warp with the downforce that the wing is putting on the trunk (the trunk is aluminum afterall).

In any you can also try to order a center mount type 2? I think they do give that option.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Any wing that's designed for the S would work. I have an Ings+1 1500mm wing which is the same as a J's/Voltex Low mount wing. I use 255mm stands and have no problems with rear visibility when I had a soft top. I gutted mine and now I have a Seibon hard top with no issues. I also had a APR GTC-200 wing but I used the risers which helped a lot with visibility. I would recommend to get the risers if you go with the APR. The wing that you posted is a C-West Wing which is quite rare. I have never seen one in person before on an S2K. Again I recommend a wing designed for the S2K like an APR or Voltex/J's. These are edge mounted to prevent trunk warp-age and damage from a center mount wing. Like Alvin mentioned the Type 7 comes with reinforcements to prevent the trunk from being damaged. If you are on a budget try and get the APR GTC-200 or GT-250. If you have more funds get a Voltex/J's. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ///RS-2000
Any wing that's designed for the S would work. I have an Ings+1 1500mm wing which is the same as a J's/Voltex Low mount wing. I use 255mm stands and have no problems with rear visibility when I had a soft top. I gutted mine and now I have a Seibon hard top with no issues. I also had a APR GTC-200 wing but I used the risers which helped a lot with visibility. I would recommend to get the risers if you go with the APR. The wing that you posted is a C-West Wing which is quite rare. I have never seen one in person before on an S2K. Again I recommend a wing designed for the S2K like an APR or Voltex/J's. These are edge mounted to prevent trunk warp-age and damage from a center mount wing. Like Alvin mentioned the Type 7 comes with reinforcements to prevent the trunk from being damaged. If you are on a budget try and get the APR GTC-200 or GT-250. If you have more funds get a Voltex/J's. Good luck.
Is there an actual difference between Voltex and APR in terms of performance wise? Or if i buy the voltex am i really just paying for the name? I'm trying to build my car like the Amuse tough monster which makes me side towards centre mounted wings lol. Also would I need to drill holes for the the centre mounted wings or do i need to drill holes regardless?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Originally Posted by garykoo' timestamp='1390413956' post='22977904
Yeah it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't even notice it any more. I prefer the center mount because of two things:

1. The Type 7 is the only Voltex wing made specifically for the S2000 and the FD.
2. It comes with reinforcement plates underneath the trunk that matches the trunk's design. This helps reassure me that the trunk will not warp with the downforce that the wing is putting on the trunk (the trunk is aluminum afterall).

In any you can also try to order a center mount type 2? I think they do give that option.
I actually really like the Type 7 but I'm not planning on going wide body so i thought the 275mm brackets and the huge wing was kinda too much, but i haven't found any pics of the 245mm bracket. Do you think it would look really out of place on a basically stock exterior ap2?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Oh also, i thought that all Wings will need trunk reinforcement because even the CR wing which is mounted on the sides needed reinforcements. Do all centre mount GT wings come with the reinforcement or is it just the type 7?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Is there an actual difference between Voltex and APR in terms of performance wise? Or if i buy the voltex am i really just paying for the name? I'm trying to build my car like the Amuse tough monster which makes me side towards centre mounted wings lol. Also would I need to drill holes for the the centre mounted wings or do i need to drill holes regardless?

I actually really like the Type 7 but I'm not planning on going wide body so i thought the 275mm brackets and the huge wing was kinda too much, but i haven't found any pics of the 245mm bracket. Do you think it would look really out of place on a basically stock exterior ap2?

Oh also, i thought that all Wings will need trunk reinforcement because even the CR wing which is mounted on the sides needed reinforcements. Do all centre mount GT wings come with the reinforcement or is it just the type 7?
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. For something that you're drilling into the car, I would suggest getting what you really want in the first place and do it right from the start, Rge 275mm is a little tall but I like it - you can try the 245mm. I am including pics of the wing on 195mm stands if you want to see what it looks like. My rear fenders are rolled flat but not flared. The wing is a 1400mm. You should stay 1500 or below with stock body.

You can see in this pic that the reinforcement I'm talking about for the Type 7 is in the center below the wing inside the trunk. It's the black FRP pieces that the wing bolts to.

I would also listen to Enrique (///RS-2000) because he puts his INGS+1 to use on the track. I'm just giving you the street use / aesthetic opinion lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The center mounted wings should ideally have some reinforcement. The edge mounted ones as stated above do not need reinforcement as they're placed at the edges of the trunk (closer to the quarter panel). Here's a pic of my APR GTC-200 with risers on my last S:

Are you planning to get a front splitter? You're going to bias your car towards understeer if you get some of the larger wings and continue to stick with the staggered tires and/or no splitter.

Quick Reply: GT Wing Options