S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Help with choosing a new clutch

Old 08-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with choosing a new clutch

Hi everyone,

Picked up my s2k early June. I had it inspected and knew it had some clutch chatter, so I knew I'd need to replace it. I was going to wait till the spring, but I won't put enough mileage on the car to need another one down the road so I figured why not do it now and enjoy it right away?

The car drives fine, no slipping. The only thing it does is if I'm in stop and go traffic, or don't let the clutch fully disengage before pushing it back in, I can feel some vibration from the clutch. I'm guessing this is the chatter. The car is an 03 in great shape and about 70k miles on it with the original clutch.

I've done a little reading, but I've never had to replace a clutch on a previous car before so I don't have a ton of knowledge. I'm planning to supercharge it in a year or 2. I've read people have been fine with OEM, but I figure if I'm paying for the labour, I might as well spend a little more for a better clutch. That's where I'm lost, how much more do I really need to spend? I'm not planning on huge power numbers, I'm looking for boost just to make it a bit quicker.

My shop quoted me 6.2 hours of labour. OEM was $1,530 CAD plus tax. I asked for a quote on a stage 2 clutch but he cam back with a Exedy stage 3 hyper single clutch kit, making the total $2,314 CAD. I was hoping to be around the $1,500-1,600 point with a stage 2, and not spending $1,600+ on the clutch alone. When asked for a stage 2, he came back with a ACT HD/Perf Street Sprung HD Clutch Kit w/ ACT Prolite Flywheel for $1,985 installed. Still more than I wanted.

I looked on ebay and searched finding a thread on here. Someone seemed to like Competition brand, and their price didn't seem too cheap to make me think it was garbage. Are these a good option? Are there other brands I should check out?

Last question, and I'm sure with so many different variable it's hard to give a solid answer. How long will the clutch chatter happen before it starts slipping? I'm going on a trip next weekend which will be about 1,500km or so, almost all highway driving. I think I should be fine, but thought I'd see what others think?

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Oem friction disc, ACT HD pressure plate, oem ap1 flywheel

Make 100% sure you use a honda oem bearings.

This will handle 300-350 ft torque

Chatter and spillage IMO are two different things.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm confused .... There no slipping or any issues to report. U state the car runs great. And u Wana spend 1500+ to switch a clutch because u might boost it in a year or so? Sounds like a complete waste of money for the time being . I've never heard of chatter on oem. Ur gona get chatter with after market clutches. Are u sure it's not the throw out bearing u think ur hearing ? As in u hear noise when the clutch is out but when u push the clutch in the noise goes away ? Are there any gear pop outs? Is It rough to get it into gear? Any scratching when shifting?
If your set on a clutch, i just think it's personal preference. Any clutch u read ur gona have good and bad reviews . I'm personally like spec clutches. I ran one on my turbo civic that was rated 300tq. I ended up making 312 tq on the dyno. Clutch held for 4 years no issues ever. I over heated it once on a highway run. After it cooled down was back to normal. It took a beating and kept on ticking . Never needed it replaced
Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Sounds like that would hold tq wise.I'll price out what that would run. What's spillage?

It's not slipping, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere when it goes. I've never had one go out before so I don't know what to expect. The only time I notice anything out of the normal is when I don't let the clutch out befor pressing it back in (usually in traffic). I was told it's clutch chatter and means the clutch is worn/wearing.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Sorry, autocorrect.

Slippage was the term. Sounds like your clutch is fine.

Id drive it. Even with 200 ft/lbs of torque my oem clutch is holding
Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Exedy Hyper Single. Great clutch but not for a daily driven car. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Its enough that I want a new clutch but not enough for me to actually go through changing it out. i'll live with it for awhile longer. it really is a good clutch though at the end of the day. Especially if you want to track your car.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Sorry, autocorrect.

Slippage was the term. Sounds like your clutch is fine.

Id drive it. Even with 200 ft/lbs of torque my oem clutch is holding
Ah, Damn autocorrect lol. Yea it's not slipping, but something wrong does seen to be happening when I don't let the clutch fully disengage before engaging it again

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe'
timestamp='1407630992' post='23280176
I have the Exedy Hyper Single. Great clutch but not for a daily driven car. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Its enough that I want a new clutch but not enough for me to actually go through changing it out. i'll live with it for awhile longer. it really is a good clutch though at the end of the day. Especially if you want to track your car.
Yea, that's what I don't want. The clutch feel I have now is great, a little heavier would be ok but not too much. I'm thinking the Exedy stage 3 would be way more clutch than I want and need. I'd love to track my car but we don't have a track so sadly it won't be happening anytime soon.