S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HELP - Weird Key Problem

Old 01-28-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP - Weird Key Problem

Alright so Ive searched around the forum and can't get a solution or even diagnosis to the problem I have with my S2k. I bought it about a year ago (I sold my first one so my profile probably isn't updated). Its a GPW/Tan 04 AP2.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

The only key that came with the car is one that looks like a spare, with no honda logo on it, and with a "F" stamped on the metal close the the grip. I have no fob. The key will start the car, and open the driver door. It will not open the passenger door or trunk.

So I bought a fob on amazon or eBay and tried to program it, and it would not program at all. It can't be a valet key because it starts the car right? Anyone have any ideas?

Here is where it gets even more odd:
I found an OEM key inside the airbox... So first I was like great! This is the original key! Well, This one will work on the trunk and passenger door AS WELL AS THE DRIVER DOOR, and will insert into the ignition cylinder, but will not turn it in order to start the car.

So if anyone has some ideas or diagnosis please help, I haven't been to Honda or a locksmith yet but that is my next move.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

its a valet key... its meant to only start car and open drivers door. You will need the key that opens all locks cut and the valet key chip "cloned" at locksmith and put into one key
Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a valet key.

Any competent automotive locksmith should be able to cut you a master key from your existing key. This new key should be marked "RW" if it is cloned. However, Seeing as how you don't know where any of the other keys are, I would find someone who can do a real key programming -- where the immobilizer is reset. This will erase any other keys which are not in your possession. Again, this is something any competent automotive locksmith should be able to do.

Regarding the remote you bought off amazon, it may be the wrong part. Or you're just doing the programming procedure wrong. There is no other reason it shouldn't work, unless the car had an aftermarket alarm at some point which screwed with the factory system.

The key you found in the airbox (????) may be in a state of wear that prevents it from working in the ignition. Or your ignition could be worn. Its hard to say without seeing the keys.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
its a valet key... its meant to only start car and open drivers door. You will need the key that opens all locks cut and the valet key chip "cloned" at locksmith and put into one key
Thanks, good to know what it is. What do you think about the key found in the airbox that opens all doors and trunk but will not turn the ignition??
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ls1->s2k
You have a valet key.

Any competent automotive locksmith should be able to cut you a master key from your existing key. This new key should be marked "RW" if it is cloned. However, Seeing as how you don't know where any of the other keys are, I would find someone who can do a real key programming -- where the immobilizer is reset. This will erase any other keys which are not in your possession. Again, this is something any competent automotive locksmith should be able to do.

Regarding the remote you bought off amazon, it may be the wrong part. Or you're just doing the programming procedure wrong. There is no other reason it shouldn't work, unless the car had an aftermarket alarm at some point which screwed with the factory system.

The key you found in the airbox (????) may be in a state of wear that prevents it from working in the ignition. Or your ignition could be worn. Its hard to say without seeing the keys.
Thanks, comparing the two keys the valet key seems to have a slightly longer cut towards the base of the pattern compared to the regular key. guess ill go to a locksmith
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NFSPs2k
Thanks, good to know what it is. What do you think about the key found in the airbox that opens all doors and trunk but will not turn the ignition??
Does it look like copy or non-oem key? Seems it was cut as a 'emergency' key to just unlock the car or something. If you turn it in ignition with the valet key next to it does it start the car? (it should work)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
Does it look like copy or non-oem key? Seems it was cut as a 'emergency' key to just unlock the car or something. If you turn it in ignition with the valet key next to it does it start the car? (it should work)

The key that starts the car has no honda logo on it

The key that is OEM opens all doors but will not turn in ignition
Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last week I bought one of those "knock off" key fobs on Amazon for $24 since my
car came with only one. The first time I tried to program it, it didn't work. I think I was rushing
it too much. Pretty simple procedure, when I did it again and took my time a
little more it worked fine.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by t's2000
Last week I bought one of those "knock off" key fobs on Amazon for $24 since my
car came with only one. The first time I tried to program it, it didn't work. I think I was rushing
it too much. Pretty simple procedure, when I did it again and took my time a
little more it worked fine.
How slow did you have to go? Ive tried slowing down some but still can't get it to program. By the way I got a master key cut today, so apparantely the master I had is just worn out, and the other one that works must have been cut off of a valet key pattern.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NFSPs2k
How slow did you have to go? Ive tried slowing down some but still can't get it to program. By the way I got a master key cut today, so apparantely the master I had is just worn out, and the other one that works must have been cut off of a valet key pattern.
I was just more deliberate making sure I turned the key on and off the correct number of times (3) etc. within the 4 seconds, then turning the key back on and pressing the lock button on the key fob etc.
First time I sort of rushed thinking I would run out of time and I don't think I did it correctly.

Quick Reply: HELP - Weird Key Problem