S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HKS Hi-Power Single vs Dual

Old 07-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hi-Power Single vs Dual

Hello everyone.

Im looking for a new exhaust for my S (yes i know this is a ) I have read a lot about the topic, but I wanted to make this simple comparison and see what you guys think.
I have my mind set on this exhaust, I love how they look, I'm leaning a bit more towards the single (as of right now) I think singles are better for our 4 cylinder cars and I dont mind the look at all, on an AP1 bumper at least. However, the S definetely looks better with the dual exits, so thats why I would like to know if there's any big difference between the 2. I know most singles would be louder, lighter, usually a bit more power, etc. Im mostly looking for gains but trying to stay away from a droney, raspy, ricey exhaust, If someone can chime in and give their .02 I'll gladly appreciate it. Also, if there is any other exhaust around the same price as this 2, feel free to suggest.

The chosen exhaust would be ordered with a test pipe.
I got stock headers and a K&N FIPK intake, my car also has a JDM F20c if it even matters.

EDIT:

I decided to go for the single one.
Now, should I go for a 70mm or a 3in test pipe ? Since the exhaust is 75mm....

Waiting on your replies, thanks in advance.

Tito.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

70mm test pipe is the better idea. I opted for a 76mm test pipe to mate to my 76mm HKS hi power single. The 6mm difference won't net you any noticeable gains but I still bought one.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're looking to max out power, single is a good choice and you should go with a 76mm test pipe. Gernby has studied it extensively and I remember see one of his dynos comparing 60mm catback vs 70mm and the gains of the 70 with a 70mm tp were pretty nice but very minimal with a 60mm test pipe. Idk the physics behind why this is the case but long story short, match your tp diameter to your catback lol
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Single exhaust is less likely to drone as there's no second exhaust at a slightly different resonance to set up harmonics. They just don't look right on our cars and dual exhaust is associated with "power."

Header is 57mm (or so). Articles I've read pretty much recommend making small, smooth diameter transitions as gas flows slower in a larger diameter pipe. I'm thinking that gradually increasing the diameters would be best. Perhaps from the 57mm header to a 63.5mm test pipe or HFC and then to the 70+mm exhaust?

The fluid dynamics topics concerning abrupt diameter changes were starting to give me a headache so I kept mine as nearly constant as I could and used a 63.5mm high flow cat followed by the Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust which is a nominal 60mm system until it splits into a pair of 50mm mufflers. Very happy with and highly recommend this exhaust.

-- Chuck
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered a 70mm test pipe with the HKS Hi-Power Single, I dont think there is going to be that much of a difference between a 70mm and a 76mm, if anything i'll just get a 75mm custom made later in the future. I really hope I get some gains out of this without a tune.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KFAN27
Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered a 70mm test pipe with the HKS Hi-Power Single, I dont think there is going to be that much of a difference between a 70mm and a 76mm, if anything i'll just get a 75mm custom made later in the future. I really hope I get some gains out of this without a tune.

Nice choice. Single exhaust looks decent on the AP1 rear and you can always get a bumper cap if you want it to look really clean.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Originally Posted by S2KFAN27' timestamp='1469628356' post='24026093

Nice choice. Single exhaust looks decent on the AP1 rear and you can always get a bumper cap if you want it to look really clean.
Thanks, I will definitely get the bumper cap later on, I'll be fine now with the 2 little holes on it. My old Accord had an aftermarket rear bumper with 2 big holes on it for the dual exit and I still bought a single exhaust for it.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM

Any reason why you didn't consider the T1R 70R-EM single (or dual)?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Was thinking about getting a single HKS as well. But anybody recommend which one to get as far as power is concerned? And this with everything stock from exhaust manifold and the CAT.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjc1audel
Was thinking about getting a single HKS as well. But anybody recommend which one to get as far as power is concerned? And this with everything stock from exhaust manifold and the CAT.
Performance wise for the S, single exhausts will beat dual exhausts...but I loved the sound of my HKS dual.

Quick Reply: HKS Hi-Power Single vs Dual