S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

home made intake duct

Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made intake duct

I think this has been done before...actually I'm 99% sure it has. But I'm looking for some insight. I'm thinking or ordering this part...

Air Intake Duct

I have an ARC intake. Now I know people claim with the ARC intake there are potential heat soak issues. I personally can't say I agree. I dyno'ed my car...ARC intake, HKS exhaust, and VAFC 2 on a dynojet and put down 238 so I'm very happy with these numbers. BUT, I figured added precaution could never hurt. So I was thinking of cutting a hole in my front bumper (to the left of the honda emblem) and molding this in. I think the added airflow right to the intake would help (I can't see how it would hurt anyway). But my question is, before I attempt this, do you think my time invested is even worth it, or would the improvement on air flow be so minimal it would be a waste of time?

I'm looking for some intelligent posts, not a, "It'll look cool so just do it" post. I'm looking to do this from a pure mechanical standpoint, not cosmetics.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM

It would be so minimal that it would not be worth the effort or money IMO. It would be better to just buy a different intake.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D Loke,May 3 2010, 03:47 PM
It would be so minimal that it would not be worth the effort or money IMO. It would be better to just buy a different intake.
Heatsoak happens when at a stop anyways, this will only be effective while driving over 30mph. Even then it wouldnt even be noticable, so I would save your money man!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by D Loke,May 3 2010, 05:47 PM
But I received rather decent numbers with the ARC and would honestly like to keep it so getting a new intake isn't really what I was looking for. And I realize this would not help with heat soak at a rest, but then again, I don't really need my intake to give me the best performance when I'm stopped in traffic. I would think direct air right to the intake while driving over 35 mph would be substantial benefits. Am I just completely off?

The real only downfall I see to this is water, but I don't drive my car in the rain?

And as far as price, I mean it's 45 bucks?? If I can spend 45 bucks for an actual improvement on airflow, I think that would be money well spent. I've seen plastic ones go for near 200 bucks, that's kinda why I liked this one haha.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could get cooling plate and remove the factory one. i think this would help out more that just a hole in the bumper. you can look at AUT cooling plate it has a direct air flow to the intake. also a vented hood will definitely help, but venting your oem hood is a debate within itself.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Did you do a baseline dyno to see what the intake actually added? After numbers don't mean a lot due to calibration and machine differences.

There might be some differences at speed but I doubt it'd be anything substantial. If you were dead set on getting air to it, maybe a little scoop over the filter to direct air straight into it?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by charliec225,May 3 2010, 06:11 PM
Did you do a baseline dyno to see what the intake actually added? After numbers don't mean a lot due to calibration and machine differences.

There might be some differences at speed but I doubt it'd be anything substantial. If you were dead set on getting air to it, maybe a little scoop over the filter to direct air straight into it?
What do you mean by a lil scoop over the filter? Do you mean like a snorkle?? I'm sorry, I just can't picture what your suggesting.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by tua40278,May 3 2010, 06:16 PM
What do you mean by a lil scoop over the filter? Do you mean like a snorkle?? I'm sorry, I just can't picture what your suggesting.
Lol, sorry I forgot the word hood

Something like one of these: http://www.bodykits.com/Honda/S2000/Body-K...ns/Hood-Scoops/

Looking at the picture of the ARC intake, the scoop might actually not be that little, but a universal hood scoop directly over the intake would feed the most air into it, it seems. You'd be cutting your hood vs cutting your bumper, but it'd be more effective I'd think.

Just an idea.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think this will work better. no, cutting involved. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-09-HONDA...s#ht_2155wt_941
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

dont really like the look of any of those scoops, search 07rios2k he made a scoop after doing the diy vented hood, somethign like "new intake lid", its in the gallery.

Quick Reply: home made intake duct