S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

J's Racing 60RS exhaust - full review

Old 06-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default J's Racing 60RS exhaust - full review

I recently purchased a J's Racing 60RS stainless steel single cat-back exhaust for my AP1 and want to give you the full info on this piece!

I searched around quite a bit and ended up finding the best price from vividracing. Total was $960 shipped to my doorstep. Comes with a silencer and a gasket for the surface that connects to the cat. Pretty simple exhaust and looks to be put together nicely. The muffler has a lightly brushed texture and the dark blue/purple burnt look. And of course the iconic dolphin tip that curves downward. The exhaust weighs only 16lbs vs the stock exhaust weight of 51lbs. i'm not good at math but i'm pretty sure that's weight savings equivalent to a standard poodle.

Install is pretty straight forward. Just three nuts on the back end of the stock cat and I reused three of the stock rubber exhaust hangers to suspend the exhaust. The fitment, however, is not perfect. The clearance on the rear subframe was extremely tight. So much that the piping rattles against it on start up and under acceleration. I had to adjust things the best I could in order to get about 1/2" off clearance from the rear subframe which was enough to eliminate any rattles. The other thing I don't like is that the exhaust hangs a little low at the exit for my taste. I would like it to tuck up under the bumper a little more.

Does it make hella gainzzz?! Eh, who knows. Didn't have the car dynoed before/after and my butt dyno isn't registering much. I mean the car is a little bit lighter and there might be a small gain, but if you are buying a cat-back exhaust for gains then you are probably barking up the wrong tree. I bought it for sound and looks.

Speaking of sound..... I'm sure that's everyone's most frequently asked question when it comes to exhausts. (disclaimer: I have a cold air intake which definitely affects the sound of the exhaust. your results may vary.) So, yeah, it's louder than stock. At low RPM it has more of a low rumbling tone. At cold startup it almost sounds like a WRX. Once warmed up the idle is pretty quiet. Above 6k RPM it's actually not much louder than stock it just has a meatier and fuller sound.

Quietest: Warm idle. Cruising with a steady foot on the accelerator(neither pressing nor releasing the gas pedal.)

Moderately noisy: Cold start. Acceleration. VTAAAAAAAAC!

Loud: Engine braking(letting your foot off the accelerator while cruising and allowing the car to slow down simply by the resistance of the motor.).

Oddly, engine braking creates the most noise, vibration, and drone. I often set off car alarms simply by taking my foot off the gas in first gear on a residential street. I often shift into neutral if I know I'm going to slow down or come to a stop.

The exhaust also comes with a silencer which is just a small cone that you stick in the exhaust tip. It changes the sound completely. Car sounds like it's farting at low RPM and has a raspy hissing sound about 6K RPM... but all at a lower sound level. The only time I use the silencer is for longer freeway trips. When I'm driving over two hours to get to the track at 6am it makes the trip much more serene and relaxing. Then of course I pull it out at the track.

The track events I've run with it were 102db limits and there were no problems with sound. Laguna seca has a 90db limit. I've heard it will pass but I will have to get back to you once I get down there for a track day. update: i passed sound at laguna seca. sound check said i blew 88db.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or are curious about any other details.
Thanks!

PS- As you can see the tip is already starting to fade a bit after about a month of use.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Would a video of a drive by or cruise to compare with the 70RS. Looks great man. Enjoy
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Would a video of a drive by or cruise to compare with the 70RS. Looks great man. Enjoy
thanks. i thought about doing a video. but honestly of the hundreds of "exhaust sound" videos i've seen[heard] none of them really do justice to what the exhaust actually sounds like.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, i bought the same exhaust about half a year ago. The only part I'd disagree on is it's not loud enough even with BERK HFC, which was a slight increase in noise.

I also managed to pull the axleback side a little higher since it tends to sag, with a stiffer or shorter rubber hangers.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by S1 S2
Great review, i bought the same exhaust about half a year ago. The only part I'd disagree on is it's not loud enough even with BERK HFC, which was a slight increase in noise.

I also managed to pull the axleback side a little higher since it tends to sag, with a stiffer or shorter rubber hangers.
sure, everyone has different tolerance for sound. i personally love the sound and wouldn't want it any louder. you have to speak up a little bit when having conversations with a passenger but it's not bad. luckily my girlfriend enjoys the sound too!

i thought about trying to get the axle- back portion to ride a little higher, but if i move it up even a few mm then the piping under the rear subframe will start rattling again. as far as i can tell, the only way to get the exhaust to ride higher under the bumper would be to bend the piping under the rear subframe to change the angle.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed mine this past weekend, do you feel like it's a megaphone in cabin when cruising? At highway speeds, roughly 80mph, it is kind of loud and I usually have to stay at 70 to avoid any excessive drone with the "not pushing and not releasing" of the gas pedal to maintain speed.

You might be interested in buying new rubber bushings, either the J's or OEM. Mine sits higher than yours without clearance issues, however I had to use a piece of rubber tubing along with hose clamps at the end of the hangers to ensure the bushings(OEM) wouldn't fall out because they did 2 days after I installed it.

Previously had an Invidia Q300 dual which had no excessive drone at highway speeds while maintaining pedal, though both exhausts have been paired with the OEM cat and I've been running stock for the 4 months between each.}

Edit: I also wrapped my exhaust in header wrap, but not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:12 PM

i usually cruise at around 70 on the freeway. with a static throttle position at that speed the sound is not bad. i don't notice the sound as much when i'm by myself but definitely notice it when i'm trying to talk to a passenger.

as mentioned, i really can't raise the exhaust at all without it hitting the rear subframe. i need to just live with the height of the exhaust for now.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. My 70RR doesn't hang as low.

EDITED: Sorry pretty bad quality. When I have time I will take some with my DSLR...iPhone 6 quality for now.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM

^ yeah, that's how i want mine to look. more tucked into the opening in the bumper.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM

quick update... just got back from laguna seca at a 90db event. i asked for a sound check on the first session and they measured me at 88 decibels! just under the limit. that's at full throttle going up a slight hill around 70mph in third gear.

Quick Reply: J's Racing 60RS exhaust - full review