S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

KONI/ESPELIR INSTALLED...PROBLEM

Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KONI/ESPELIR INSTALLED...PROBLEM

ok guys/girls i'll explain all that I did so you have a good background. Ive searched for my problems but the solutions are usually left unanswered; so here it goes. I purchased a set of used konis and espelir springs, they were on the higher perch so i lowered the perch, to do so i removed the top hats,springs, ect to get to the spring base where i was able to move the snapping ring to lower perch. I checked each shock and they seemed to come back. I would apply my body weight to compress them then they would compress back with no apparent leaking. I dont have 4 jack stands so i did the front first. I jacked each side to an even height on each side then continued to take the tires off and install the new suspension. I preloaded them by placing a third jack under the lower a arms and jacking to the point where the car slightly came of the other two jacks and then tightened everything up. I then continue to do the rears the same way. However the passenger rear strut had a top hat nut that wouldnt loosen or tighten but was in the appropriate place and held everything in place as should be so i left it alone. its the center nut not the 14mm side nuts on the top hat. i believe its a 19mm nut. so anyway to reach the rears easier i removed the rear strut bar inside the trunk, and replaced it after all said and done. So later that night after driving back and forth to work with the new suspension I started hearing the weird popping/clicking noise from the what seems to be the rear maybe passenger side of the car when i go up the driveway or over bumps in the road. I also measured the car on each side from the ground and it appears that the driver side is about .5 inch higher than the passenger side. Also the sound can be recreated when i open the truck and bounce the rear of the car by putting my weight on it. I really have to press down to recreate the noise. If anyone could help me figure this out i would greatly appreciate it! Its got me really worried. Also, i popped the hood and looked at the top hat 14mm bolts (each hat has two of these) and counted the threads past the tightened nuts. the passenger side had 4-5 threads past the nut while the driver had 3 threads. Could i have preloaded too much on the passenger side making the car height uneven is that even possible?. Please guys help!
Chris
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the top nut is your rattling sound or clicking sound and the the passanger is suppose to be about .75 inches lower. honda did this to achive 50/50 weight distribution with a average driver (150-160 pounds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08AQH5wxGU
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 AM

realy? i never noticed that before, seems like that would be a big difference in height.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM

turns out only the passenger font side is about .5 inches lower than the driver front side, but the rear is even on both sides. any help guys!!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM

i was in your problem and just evened everything out lol.. with 12k springs 160 pounds isnt going to make the car favor a side with me in it
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM

so do you think I just preloaded too much?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by mirabileboy
so do you think I just preloaded too much?
preload shouldnt be a problem. just move the coils until its even. on all four corners. im lazy and my front driver side is a bit higher than everwhere else lol.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM

They aren't coilovers it's koni shocks with espelir springs, the struts have two perches. That's the only height adjustability. Only the dampening can be adjusted
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM

The struts/sprigs use oem top hats
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like one of the springs is not seated properly in the isolator in the top hat.

Quick Reply: KONI/ESPELIR INSTALLED...PROBLEM