S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

mounting interior switch

Old 12-12-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting interior switch

I just installed led footwell lighting from js2k and was wondering if anyone has a creative suggestion in regards to mounting the on/off switch on the dashboard. Here's a pic of how it sits now..

Don't want to be drilling any new holes if I don't have to.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:10 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Is that a Photoshop, or just stuck there, or did someone actually drill a hole there? It you're stuck with a hole there are better looking toggle switches at the auto parts stores. If there's no hole I'd put it UNDER the dash with the toggle pointing down. No need to label it.

With some creative wiring you may be able to connect this to the dome lighting circuit. Foot wells would illuminate when the door is open for example. Or even a separate switch to do this. This is such a common "mod" I'd expect there are general solutions that work on several cars. There are some switches that will remain on for a period of time and switch off too. I've not looked at them in years, though

I'd like a LED to light temporarily near the ignition key where I tend to fumble or use the Braille method.

-- Chuck
Old 12-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedc4
I just installed led footwell lighting from js2k and was wondering if anyone has a creative suggestion in regards to mounting the on/off switch on the dashboard. Here's a pic of how it sits now..

I don't like that, but just my opinion. Drill a small hole in an inconspicuous location, it will fit much better.

I mounted my LED DRL light switch on the lower dash just to the right of the radio controls. You can see it on the lower angled portion of the lower dash, just left of the steering wheel. It is a round rocker switch which has a small blue LED light diode that lights up when the switch is on. Drilling a small hole in that area is a piece of cake, and you have room to run the wiring behind it, it is also out of the way so you won't hit it getting in and out of the vehicle.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

As soon as I said (to myseff) "what switch?" I know it was a nice installation.

-- Chuck
Old 12-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
Thanks very much. I found another pic a little closer up, you can see how the wiring comes from behind as the cluster bezel is removed.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Is that a Photoshop, or just stuck there, or did someone actually drill a hole there? It you're stuck with a hole there are better looking toggle switches at the auto parts stores. If there's no hole I'd put it UNDER the dash with the toggle pointing down. No need to label it.

With some creative wiring you may be able to connect this to the dome lighting circuit. Foot wells would illuminate when the door is open for example. Or even a separate switch to do this. This is such a common "mod" I'd expect there are general solutions that work on several cars. There are some switches that will remain on for a period of time and switch off too. I've not looked at them in years, though

I'd like a LED to light temporarily near the ignition key where I tend to fumble or use the Braille method.

-- Chuck
Yep, I've got the foot well lighting connected to both the dome lighting as well as a force override on/off switch. Makes it very convenient especially at night when u're fumbling around.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by bluedc4' timestamp='1449989419' post='23826569

I don't like that, but just my opinion. Drill a small hole in an inconspicuous location, it will fit much better.

I mounted my LED DRL light switch on the lower dash just to the right of the radio controls. You can see it on the lower angled portion of the lower dash, just left of the steering wheel. It is a round rocker switch which has a small blue LED light diode that lights up when the switch is on. Drilling a small hole in that area is a piece of cake, and you have room to run the wiring behind it, it is also out of the way so you won't hit it getting in and out of the vehicle.

I agree that I should drill holes for a cleaner look but I can't justify doing it for a temporary mod.

Love ur steering wheel bro. Ive been trying to get in touch with angelos to get one made but they appear to be extremely busy during the pre holiday season
Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1450047948' post='23826942

-- Chuck
Thanks very much. I found another pic a little closer up, you can see how the wiring comes from behind as the cluster bezel is removed.

That is beautiful!

I ended up getting a black plastic switch mounting bracket and "molding" my above switch into it. Looks a little more inconspicuous but still needs some touchups. May look into drilling a hole in the center console for it if I decide to keep it long term
Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 PM

Ended up installing a switch in the driver side kick panel. Figured it's easy enough to replace if I don't like the interior footwell lighting anymore.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by bluedc4
Ended up installing a switch in the driver side kick panel. Figured it's easy enough to replace if I don't like the interior footwell lighting anymore.
That's a cool spot for it, nice work and the switch type looks better too