S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Muffler delete

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler delete

I was looking to do a muffler delete on my 06 s2000 not sure though alot if people said on here it will be ricey and just do a uk mod but i want something kind of loud i would also pair it up with a invidia test pipe. Im looking for loud but nithing crazy and alittle bit of raspy. I hate how the car makes no noise.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekidwiththereds2k
I was looking to do a muffler delete on my 06 s2000 not sure though alot if people said on here it will be ricey and just do a uk mod but i want something kind of loud i would also pair it up with a invidia test pipe. Im looking for loud but nithing crazy and alittle bit of raspy. I hate how the car makes no noise.
Know that a tp is only going to amplify whatever other muffler mods you do. I think you will not be happy with a muffler delete and a tp. It will be very loud, very raspy. A uk mod is not all that expensive. If you do a uk mod first, and its not loud enough, you can always do the muffler delete afterwards, and you've only lost the cost of the uk mod. But if you do the muffler delete first, and its too loud, its much more difficult to go back.

Just go with a larger uk mod pipe. I think you will be happy with that.

Whatever you do, don't delete tbe Helmholtz resonator. It doesn't really affect loudness, just eliminates drone.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Know that a tp is only going to amplify whatever other muffler mods you do. I think you will not be happy with a muffler delete and a tp. It will be very loud, very raspy. A uk mod is not all that expensive. If you do a uk mod first, and its not loud enough, you can always do the muffler delete afterwards, and you've only lost the cost of the uk mod. But if you do the muffler delete first, and its too loud, its much more difficult to go back.

Just go with a larger uk mod pipe. I think you will be happy with that.

Whatever you do, don't delete tbe Helmholtz resonator. It doesn't really affect loudness, just eliminates drone.

What size uk mod would you prefer
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

A different intake like the ubiquitous K&N FIPK will give a pleasing intake "performance sound" and maybe add a pony or two (they claim 6 or 7). Easy to install and used units turn up here from time to time (but beware of missing parts).

If you want a performance increase -- vs just noise -- consider what a buddy and I did to both our cars: Berk 63mm high flow cat and Tanabe Medalion Dual Exhaust. Nice mature performance sound that won't make folks think you're still in high school and, since you have a 2006 car it can be Gernby FlashPro tuned to startling additional power in the mid-range. Revs so fast with this intake/exhaust and tune I added a rev alarm to prevent hammering the rev limiter all the time!

We first tried the Invidia Q300 exhaust. Required ear plugs. Really. The guys driving civics in the high school loved the Q300 but neither our wives nor neighbors appreciated that exhaust at all. Truly obnoxious. No muffler will brand you as an alfa-hotel.

The "UK" exhaust mod is probably best installed with the exhaust on the ground and is a guess as to what diameter bypass pipe to use. Too loud and you have to cut it out and try a smaller pipe in those big holes.

Regardless of what exhaust you contemplate try to hear it from inside another car. Some have horrible drone or are otherwise not pleasant (other than on the drive from home to the high school ).

Do some reading on exhaust diameters, etc. Slapping a big cat-delete pipe on the car can hurt performance.

-- Chuck
Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm still surprised that no one on here has made a easily adjustable UK mod pipe. Use the same diameter pipe as the muffler(thats the largest you can use) Weld two small two or three bolt hole exhaust flange in the middle of the UK mod pipe. This way you can run a large washer(with the same size hole as the UK pipe) between the two exhaust flanges for the loudest UK mod or you can uae a washer with a smaller hole to tone it down. It would take 15 min. to go from a tame to angry exhaust note. Best of both, large(loud) to smaller(quieter).
http://www.mandrelbends.com/1-75-2-b...l-style-2.html

ROD
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
A different intake like the ubiquitous K&N FIPK will give a pleasing intake "performance sound" and maybe add a pony or two (they claim 6 or 7). Easy to install and used units turn up here from time to time (but beware of missing parts).

If you want a performance increase -- vs just noise -- consider what a buddy and I did to both our cars: Berk 63mm high flow cat and Tanabe Medalion Dual Exhaust. Nice mature performance sound that won't make folks think you're still in high school and, since you have a 2006 car it can be Gernby FlashPro tuned to startling additional power in the mid-range. Revs so fast with this intake/exhaust and tune I added a rev alarm to prevent hammering the rev limiter all the time!

We first tried the Invidia Q300 exhaust. Required ear plugs. Really. The guys driving civics in the high school loved the Q300 but neither our wives nor neighbors appreciated that exhaust at all. Truly obnoxious. No muffler will brand you as an alfa-hotel.

The "UK" exhaust mod is probably best installed with the exhaust on the ground and is a guess as to what diameter bypass pipe to use. Too loud and you have to cut it out and try a smaller pipe in those big holes.

Regardless of what exhaust you contemplate try to hear it from inside another car. Some have horrible drone or are otherwise not pleasant (other than on the drive from home to the high school ).

Do some reading on exhaust diameters, etc. Slapping a big cat-delete pipe on the car can hurt performance.

-- Chuck
Ok thanks for all the info i was thinking 70mm test pipe maybe 60mm now lol i dont want to hurt performance but in the spring i plan on doing alot of engine work to make the car faster maybe turbo. so maybe with the 70mm test pipe i can save alittle time and money so when i do upgrades i wont have to much back pressure. Let me know what you guys think my best bett is money is alittle short right now. Thats why im not changing the exhaust fully. Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Ok thanks for all the info i was thinking 70mm test pipe maybe 60mm now lol i dont want to hurt performance but in the spring i plan on doing alot of engine work to make the car faster maybe turbo. so maybe with the 70mm test pipe i can save alittle time and money so when i do upgrades i wont have to much back pressure. Let me know what you guys think my best bett is money is alittle short right now. Thats why im not changing the exhaust fully. Thanks
You want to match tp size to catback size. So if stock catback (with or without uk mod), go with a 63.5 mm. Only go 70 mm if you are going with a 70 mm catback. Otherwise you can actually lose performance.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Muffler delete is actually pretty nice. Three of my friends have had it. No rasp, just pure amplified UK mod sound.

I took this video a couple of months ago.
Muffler Delete with Test Pipe
Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

You want to match tp size to catback size. So if stock catback (with or without uk mod), go with a 63.5 mm. Only go 70 mm if you are going with a 70 mm catback. Otherwise you can actually lose performance.

Ok thanks for the advise
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Muffler delete is actually pretty nice. Three of my friends have had it. No rasp, just pure amplified UK mod sound.

I took this video a couple of months ago.
Muffler Delete with Test Pipe
I heard 3 people say that but like 80 percent of people say it sounds like crap

Quick Reply: Muffler delete