Ohlins DFV Installation and Review - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Modifications and Parts
Reload this Page >

Ohlins DFV Installation and Review

Notices
S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ohlins DFV Installation and Review

Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
Originally Posted by clubmagicdrive' timestamp='1465875234' post='23992641
[quote name='Orjinal' timestamp='1465865266' post='23992548']
Why so much camber in the rears with that wheel/tire setup?
I was surprised with how wide the RE71R run on a 9" wheel. Playing it safe with the ride height that I'm at!

71R's run skinny. I ran -3 all around with my 17x9 +45 and 255/40 combo.

I also run -3 with my 17x10 +50 and 255 combo.

I'm curious how you got -3.8 degrees of camber with 0 toe. Adjustable upper joints?

I also love my Öhlins. Good choice.
[/quote]

Interesting! Compared to what was on before, I feel that they run wide, but that's my opinion. To run 255 square did you do quite a bit of work to the front fenders? I'm looking to run a square 17x9 +45 set-up next year, so I'm looking at my options. I've modified the fronts so tabs are flat, and rolled/relocated the rear tabs.

Rear camber was just stock adjustment and the ride height - nothing special!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Janus00 View Post
I recently picked up some Ohlins as well, waiting on some CCW wheels to do the install, I'm psyched! Glad to hear you like yours.
Awesome! You won't be disappointed - best purchase I've made for the car so far!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k View Post
Nice, come cruising with us this Saturday!
If I still lived in Van, I definitely would!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by clubmagicdrive View Post
Interesting! Compared to what was on before, I feel that they run wide, but that's my opinion. To run 255 square did you do quite a bit of work to the front fenders? I'm looking to run a square 17x9 +45 set-up next year, so I'm looking at my options. I've modified the fronts so tabs are flat, and rolled/relocated the rear tabs.

I'd say that at ride height, -3.8 camber with 0 toe is pretty special.

I have my fender LIPS rolled and I cut the tabs off up front. I relocated the rear tabs. I would highly recommend cutting the front tabs instead of folding them, even for a mild wheel fitment.

My fender shapes are stock. I have not flared them, even with 17x10 wheels. Plenty of clearance with -3 degrees. My ride height is lower than yours.

I have SPC front upper ball joints. So I can run minimal camber with maximum clearance. My 17x9 and my 17X10 clear my UCA and inside fender just fine at full lock. I don't rub anywhere. 6.x degrees of caster. 0 toe up front. +.17 deg toe per side in back.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
Originally Posted by clubmagicdrive' timestamp='1465918883' post='23993049

I'd say that at ride height, -3.8 camber with 0 toe is pretty special.

I have my fender LIPS rolled and I cut the tabs off up front. I relocated the rear tabs. I would highly recommend cutting the front tabs instead of folding them, even for a mild wheel fitment.

My fender shapes are stock. I have not flared them, even with 17x10 wheels. Plenty of clearance with -3 degrees. My ride height is lower than yours.

I have SPC front upper ball joints. So I can run minimal camber with maximum clearance. My 17x9 and my 17X10 clear my UCA and inside fender just fine at full lock. I don't rub anywhere. 6.x degrees of caster. 0 toe up front. +.17 deg toe per side in back.
Thanks! That's really helpful. Any pics of your current set up I can view? I'm undecided with whether or not I want to run a wider front fender or not, but we'll see. If I can get away with running stock fenders with some upgraded front upper ball joints, then I'd be happy. It sounds like what I want to run is a lot more conservative than what you currently have anyway.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Sure.

17x9 +45 with 255
Name:  2012-12-10_20-34-21_772_zpsnfnffjgq.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  E2013-05-09_18-06-20_623-1_zpsuwfb8pdu.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  171.4 KB
Name:  S2000_zps9mhtvugt.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  132.3 KB

17x10 +50 with 255

Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 PM

B serious, why do you recommend the cutting of the tabs on the front fenders as opposed to folding them inward? My fender roller just pushed them inward and I'll be using 17x9+45 with 245's and I'm hoping I won't have to modify them any further.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Orjinal View Post
B serious, why do you recommend the cutting of the tabs on the front fenders as opposed to folding them inward? My fender roller just pushed them inward and I'll be using 17x9+45 with 245's and I'm hoping I won't have to modify them any further.
It is a little hard to explain but in my expereince rolling fenders it is easy to cause it to look uneven due to the tabs sticking out further that the lip and therefore getting pushed by the roller or more pressure is applied to the spot with the tab pushing it out further making it look more uneven. Of coarse if you take your time and do it right it is not an issue but cutting the tabs down would possibly solve this concern though cutting has it's own risks. I try to avoid cutting anything unless there has been a repair and there is bondo or something that will crack or have other issues. Either way as long as there is nothing for the tire to grab either way is fine.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal View Post

If your tire ever grabs a hold of that tab, it will turn that portion of the fender inside out.

The tire grabs onto the tab and bends it/twists it so that it faces outboard. Imagine your fender with wings lol. It causes a lot of damage.

I have had this happen (spin/half spin at a track) with a weenie set of 17x7.5 +45 with 225/45 tires and -2.2 deg camber.

It can also happen on driveways or if you get into a situation on the street where the rear steps out and you countersteer.

Or for the tab just above the tire, it can happen on dips in the road.

I cut mine flush with something small and slow like a dremel. Then cover the "scar" with epoxy and undercoating.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn View Post
Originally Posted by Orjinal' timestamp='1465930818' post='23993249
It is a little hard to explain but in my expereince rolling fenders it is easy to cause it to look uneven due to the tabs sticking out further that the lip and therefore getting pushed by the roller or more pressure is applied to the spot with the tab pushing it out further making it look more uneven. Of coarse if you take your time and do it right it is not an issue but cutting the tabs down would possibly solve this concern though cutting has it's own risks. I try to avoid cutting anything unless there has been a repair and there is bondo or something that will crack or have other issues. Either way as long as there is nothing for the tire to grab either way is fine.
Which tool would you recommend for cutting the tabs off? Something like a grinder/dremel or a metal snip?

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Installation and Review

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands