S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Possible seat theft deterrent

Old 03-23-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

On the road so I can’t post pics but I added decals to the side door windows in the hope of avoiding a literate thief attacking my car thinking the seats were easy pickings. I was able to procure a set of McGuard bolts from a member here 6 years ago. I found some “McGuard Seat Locks Installed” vinyl decals made to match my Rio Yellow. They are in the inside and are visible despite my tint.
Worked so far.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
McMaster Carr should carry black phosphated JIS flange bolts in your desired size.

JIS is nice because it keeps the Japanese head sizing that all your other bolts have.
What does JIS stand for, and is it better know by another name. First time I've hear of that, and searching McMaster Carr, nothing comes up by that name/term.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit more searching on McMaster Carr produced what may be the perfect solution:Metric Stainless Steel Tamper-Resistant Button Head Hex Drive Screws.

Part number 95635A736 in M8 x 1.25 by 30mm (which I believe may be the right size) sells for $11.73 for 10 of them, and the tool is PN 7253A64.

Last edited by Coloradocurt; 03-23-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The front bolts and rear bolts are two different sizes. I used one grade 8 button head up front but it is not one of the tamper resistant ones. If you have a good hardware store near by you should be able to get what you want without having to buy 10 at a time.

ROD
Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Bravo... this is the best discovery/idea in a while. Good alternative to the hard to get Kodokans.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

JIS means Japanese Industrial Standards. It specifies the Hex head size and flange size for any given size of M (metric) body size bolt of any pitch.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
How are they going to get to the seat frames if they can't get the bolts out?
Right. They can't steal the seats, so they get pissed and slash up the leather and foam, leaving the seat frames in place. Now insurance will want to replace the damaged pieces with new from Honda. If the cost of those parts exceeds a threshold based on cars value, they total it.

We all know seats can total one of tjese cars, and that Honda prices out each poece of the seat individually. All I was asking is if the cost of just the leather and foam pieces from Honda are outrageously expensive, enough to potentially total a car (or are only the deat frames outrageously expensive).

Yes, you can get seats repaired at an upholstery shop. You can also buy aftermarket performance seats. Insurance typically doesn't consider those options.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradocurt
A bit more searching on McMaster Carr produced what may be the perfect solution:Metric Stainless Steel Tamper-Resistant Button Head Hex Drive Screws.

Part number 95635A736 in M8 x 1.25 by 30mm (which I believe may be the right size) sells for $11.73 for 10 of them, and the tool is PN 7253A64.
I would be careful with those. A button head fastener will have a lower UTS value than a hex head. That means that the head may pop off under tension sooner than the hex head bolt would. I may be wrong though; best to check the strength numbers to verify. You want your seats staying firmly in the car under all conditions (theft and collision).
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by jwzimm
I would be careful with those. A button head fastener will have a lower UTS value than a hex head. That means that the head may pop off under tension sooner than the hex head bolt would. I may be wrong though; best to check the strength numbers to verify. You want your seats staying firmly in the car under all conditions (theft and collision).
Excellent point. Definitely something to keep in mind with any of these alternate bolt theft solutions.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Right. They can't steal the seats, so they get pissed and slash up the leather and foam, leaving the seat frames in place. Now insurance will want to replace the damaged pieces with new from Honda. If the cost of those parts exceeds a threshold based on cars value, they total it.

We all know seats can total one of tjese cars, and that Honda prices out each poece of the seat individually. All I was asking is if the cost of just the leather and foam pieces from Honda are outrageously expensive, enough to potentially total a car (or are only the deat frames outrageously expensive).

Yes, you can get seats repaired at an upholstery shop. You can also buy aftermarket performance seats. Insurance typically doesn't consider those options.
If that was the case, I'd just take my S and get the seats fixed at my upholstery shop, don't need anything from Honda. But my Ins. does cover my seats before or after I cover the seats.
Some Ins. tries to get these wheels instead of real Honda S wheels. So what. I'm in my 60's and have over two million miles of over the road experience so I've also had some experience dealing with Ins. co..
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/411/ho...eels_rims.html

ROD

Quick Reply: Possible seat theft deterrent