S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Replacement Soft Top

Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Soft Top

So it's gotten to the point where I have to replace the top for my S2k and I was wondering which way is better for a car that is parked outside. It sits out when I am at home and only gets to be in a garage when I am at work. Please no suggestions for hard tops cos I really like to put my top down a lot. Anybody got any advice one fabric or vinyl? or a good/cheap site to purchase a soft top? Thanks ahead of time!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you. I just ordered (yesterday) a cloth Robbins top from Rockauto.com. I'll let you know how it is when it comes in. They were the cheapest that I could find (515 shipped).

I won't be installing it until the spring (I'm thinking late February or early March) so that the new top won't be exposed to the winter here.

Robbins tops seem to get favorable reviews on this site. The EZ On is a little cheaper but harder to install. Some people say that the Robbins top is built better too, but I don't know.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you park your car outside a lot, you do not want a cloth top. Cloth is very hard to clean tree sap and bird shit off of. Cloth looks way better in my opinion so I will be going with a cloth top in the spring. Since I have a hardtop and I park in a garage at home and work, the cloth top won't be any added work. Whatever you do, be sure to clean the burs off the soft top frame or you will get cuts and rips just as quick.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you guys read about how reliable it is to purchase robbins tops off ebay? assuming i buy it off a top rated seller with lots of positive feedback
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

what ever it is you get you could pick something like this up too
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/868...or-only-cover/
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

robbins cloth stayfast cloth is the best
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all companies probably source the material from the same company so on that basis , you could shop for price. Installation may slightly differ from company to company. Agree that cloth looks better but vinyl would be easier to maintain. Your decision and your choice are as good as anyone elses.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Thanks a lot, I decided to go with a vinyl since the car is gonna be outside a lot. It'll be easier to clean, thanks guys for the advice!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM

I went to a local upholster for cars, they ordered one for me and installed it (perfectly), It was around $1600 said and done. It is Vinyl aswell and stays outside.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
I think all companies probably source the material from the same company so on that basis , you could shop for price.
I wouldn't just assume that they're all the same because they allegedly source the same material. Some reinforce the typical wear spots while others do not, for example. Also, don't overlook the countless prior threads on top replacements for more info.

Quick Reply: Replacement Soft Top