S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Replacing differential rubber mounts

Old 07-14-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing differential rubber mounts

MY03. Anyone know if by removing the drive shaft will I gain enough clearance to remove/replace the four rubber mount assemblies for the differential mount without having to also remove the axles. I would plan to support the diff with a rolling jack and roll it forward slightly for better access to the rear mounts. The forward mounts don't look too difficult. Any insight to this repair is appreciated. I have 122,00 miles on them and there are some signs of wear & cracking.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Huh? why would you need to remove axles for replacing the diff mounts? That is not needed at all. And shouldnt even need to touch driveshaft. Took about an hour and half to swap mine to Hardrace units, and all I did was start from very back then move forward.

1. Undo rear sway bar brackets
2. Remove 2 large nuts & 8 bolts for both rear diff mounts
3. Remove rubber hanger near resonator
4. Remove 2 large nuts & 4 bolts for front diff mounts
5. Install new mounts and reverse steps.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:44 PM

OK. Appreciate the reply and I see exactly what you mean. What kind of mounts did you replace with and where can I find. I track my car and already upgraded my motor mounts & transmission mount so I'm interested in what you did. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Solid diff mounts can really cause a lot of harshness. Fine for track only, but if its part time street, you may not like it. Makes the car feel cheap.

Another solution is stock mounts, and diff collars. These limit diff movement, but still allow stock damping capability. So its like stock, except when under heavy load and diff movement.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Yes I am well aware of the "harshness" feeling (and vibration) as I already have Inovative Motor Mounts installed. I looked around and will probably go with a set of their diff mounts as well, on the softer side, like their 75A's. Hasport makes a set too but they are pricey. As for diff collars I'm not sure if I know what you mean? I have heard the term.

Anyway I do appreciate the reply. While the car is my primary vehicle it's not used as your typical daily driver. I kind of like the stiff ride for whenever I get the urge to increase the spirit of my drive between days at the track!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Diff collars are disks that are just smaller than the size of the rubber portion of the mount. Kinda like giant washers. You remove the mounting nut, slide on the collar, replace nut.

They do virtually nothing in normal circumstances. But should the diff try to move much at all on the rubber mounts, the collar will quickly bottom out, making contact with the frame and halting deflection of the rubber mount.

They are surpringly effective. You would think there would be a shift from soft to supper stiff and harsh when the collar bottoms out, but somehow that is not the case. I suspect all that fluid damped effect of the stock mount still comes into play.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S000M
OK. Appreciate the reply and I see exactly what you mean. What kind of mounts did you replace with and where can I find. I track my car and already upgraded my motor mounts & transmission mount so I'm interested in what you did. Thanks again!
I'm actually using Hardrace diff mounts. They are hardened rubber. with a similar design to OEM but far superior in my opinion since they arent liquid filled. I daily drive and track my S2000 every other month, and I feel its a good choice. I hate how Polyurethane mounts feel and all the rattles that are associated with them.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 AM

OK. I'll check em out. sounds logical to me.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Diff collars are disks that are just smaller than the size of the rubber portion of the mount. Kinda like giant washers. You remove the mounting nut, slide on the collar, replace nut.

They do virtually nothing in normal circumstances. But should the diff try to move much at all on the rubber mounts, the collar will quickly bottom out, making contact with the frame and halting deflection of the rubber mount.

They are surpringly effective. You would think there would be a shift from soft to supper stiff and harsh when the collar bottoms out, but somehow that is not the case. I suspect all that fluid damped effect of the stock mount still comes into play.
OK thanks for the info. good to know.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 AM

UPDATE and Thank You to those that replied! Installed new diff mounts (INNOVATIVE 65) earlier this week and ran 4 sessions at PBIR track Thurs night. All went well. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Replacing differential rubber mounts