S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

s2k ducktail spoiler

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k ducktail spoiler

Greetings all,

I'm still new here, and new to the s2k. Currently, the spoiler I have looks like this:

http://www.spoilerdepot.com/images/i...g?maxWidth=600

I'd like to swap this out for the OEM style ducktail I've seen around the Internet.

The one I'm currently looking at is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2009-Ho...348#vi-content

And the issue is this. I've checked here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=TRUNK+SPOILER

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-.../dp/B005NSGRHO

and the prices for "genuine" ducktail spoilers run about $500. So, this may be a case of, "well duh!" but would those of you who've been around the block more than once consider even bothering with the super cheap, but seemingly equivalent spoiler? I'm aware of the axiom, "you get what you pay for," but I feel $500 is a bit much for a relatively small amount of paint-matched plastic.

Also, to those of you with duck tail spoilers, how did you attach them? Do they use the same mounting holes as the OEM wing, or are you simply supposed to use that doublesided tape?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM

You should check out the for sale forum on here and see if someone is selling one. Or you could try the ebay one and see if it is any good. I personally don't have experience with that particular spoiler on ebay so it may be okay quality, or it may be horrible.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my oem style trunk lip from carddy option, the guy in your link, came painted to match in berlina black for $135. Quality and fitment is perfect, although he forgot to include the mounting bolts. Luckily I had some that fit.

The spoiler also comes with some 3m high strength double sided tape on all 4 sides, you can't see it at all when it's mounted. It uses the factory mounting holes so you should be good reusing the old mounting holes.

For my install I didn't touch the double sided tape until I got the bolts in on each side hand tight. Then I picked the tape cover off the short piece, then peeled away the long strips but only a few inches. I then pressed firmly and as I'm pressing I'm peeling away the rest of the long strips, pressing behind. And when I got to the other side short piece I just loosened the bolt on that side and that gave me room to pick away the tape cover and bolted it back up.

When it was done I was off by a millimeter, can only notice when you measure it lol...

And I used some small foam squares between the underside of the trunk and the bolt/washer to prevent any water from leaking into the trunk.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oem thing, thats the ebay seller, perfict fit and color match. bought one last month. lots of others have as well in the ebay thread.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Meh buy the real deal not these fake copied kits. If you can't afford it don't buy it. All these places that take the time to design and mfg parts that we enjoy so much will close up shop if you buy the knock off vs.

There is a reason they charge more! They put all the labor hours to design and these knock off places just reverse mold and give them away since they have no overhead or cost associated.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM

The ebay one is great but they cant match RIO to save there life dont know what color you have but if RIO buy it unpainted and have it sprayed lol
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked out hardtopguy.com or cheaphondaparts.com or even handaaccessories. All have oem ducktail spoilers, paint matched, and with hardware for around $375. Might be more expensive than the ebay shop but it's paint matched and oem fit so you have no issues what so ever after purchase.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll go with the more expensive models. I don't want to have to fool around with low quality. I'm okay with paying a premium for premium engineering and quality.