S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Side Diffuser / Splitter install ---- NO DRILLING

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Diffuser / Splitter install ---- NO DRILLING

Hey guys, I'm going to be making my own side splitters out of 1/4 in abs plastic. Wanted to get everyone's opinion about my idea. I am going to use the 3 existing body holes along with double sided tape to secure the splitter in place.

Bolts with brackets will go into the 3 body holes and come through the plastic splitter and screwed on with a nylon inserted nut and some locktite. I will make a L bracket towards the front that screws into the inner plastic fender lining and splitter. I will make another L bracket on the rear side to secure it as well.

You guys think this will hold up during normal daily spirited driving? Freeway speeds? Not tracking car. I know usually they are installed by drilling I think 4? self tapping screws but I don't want to drill any holes.

I saw Forcewerkz's Honda S2000 V1 Side Skirt Extensions Splitters/Diffusers for sale and they are advertised as no drilling/cutting to install. Anyone use them?

Let me know what you guys think! I don't want them flying off when driving!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum many years ago, and the end that butts up against the car requires one hole to drill through the factory pressed flange under the frame rail in the rear, and the other two mounts I just used the existing bolt holes that hold on the front fender. So it mounts horizontally because my splitter design has a L shape, rather then flat where you have to drill up through the floor. I wouldn't want to do that either.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Good idea! thanks! Did u have any rattling issues with the wind?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM

good luck with the no drilling with abs plastic. it will warp on you
Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Duyx817
good luck with the no drilling with abs plastic. it will warp on you

Does the heat get to it? What other material would you recommend?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 PM

i live in texas, so its pretty hot down here. but but depending where you live i guess this could work. when it gets around 85 degrees+ that is when the warping start. but if you use screws and screw the side diffuser evenly then it wont warp on you.

if i could do it over again, i would either go fiberglass or carbon fiber. aluminum could work also but im unsure where you would find 1/4 inch bar of aluminum for cheap. its a pricey metal
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Duyx817
i live in texas, so its pretty hot down here. but but depending where you live i guess this could work. when it gets around 85 degrees+ that is when the warping start. but if you use screws and screw the side diffuser evenly then it wont warp on you.

if i could do it over again, i would either go fiberglass or carbon fiber. aluminum could work also but im unsure where you would find 1/4 inch bar of aluminum for cheap. its a pricey metal
Thanks for info!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by caremail0
No not at all, its been rock solid for years.

I ordered these 1/8" L sheets to my custom measurements from a aluminum manufacture (I forget which one) cost wasn't bad at $150 for the pair shipped if I recall. I then spent another $100 to have them black powder coated to match my other custom stuff. Aluminum is light, stiff and extremely durable, especially with a layer of powder coat. They look as good as the first day I installed them These days you have a lot more retail options and for less money, they don't look identical to mine but pretty close with being a pretty strait forward/simple piece. No matter the cost though there is something to be said for creating your own stuff for your car.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by caremail0' timestamp='1383146675' post='22853626
No not at all, its been rock solid for years.

I ordered these 1/8" L sheets to my custom measurements from a aluminum manufacture (I forget which one) cost wasn't bad at $150 for the pair shipped if I recall. I then spent another $100 to have them black powder coated to match my other custom stuff. Aluminum is light, stiff and extremely durable, especially with a layer of powder coat. They look as good as the first day I installed them These days you have a lot more retail options and for less money, they don't look identical to mine but pretty close with being a pretty strait forward/simple piece. No matter the cost though there is something to be said for creating your own stuff for your car.
Nice! 100% agree with you on building your own stuff. Anyone can go out and buy what other have. Building something unique and to your liking is so much more rewarding.

for getting them powdercoated!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can have the best of both worlds. Strength and stiffness of aluminum and the look of a 1/4" abs by gluing a strip of 3" aluminum to your ABS sides splitters to prevent warping.

I, however, do not recommend relying on double sided tape to mostly hold the splitters. When I install them I use no less than 7-8 screws spread out evenly.

This is a picture of what I've done on a e90/92.

Quick Reply: Side Diffuser / Splitter install ---- NO DRILLING