S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spacers? Bad or OK?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spacers? Bad or OK?

I know there are many opinions on spacers from they are BADDD to they are FINEEE... but wanted to get your guys inputs? I just want to fill out the wheels a TADDD more like 10mm max.

If they are OK for these cars, what brand do you recommend?

thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

They are fine but I think 10mm require longers studs since the ones with the built in studs need to be 15mm or more so the oem studs don't hit the back of the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

One reason some people may not like them has to do with suspension geometry. Things like roll center are determined by where the tire touches ground. Tires center point. Move tire out, you alter roll center.

Of course, wheel offset that puts tire in the same position would have the same effect on roll center.

During cornering, the Center of Gravity will act like a lever pivoting on roll center. The larger the distance between CoG and roll center, the more that end of car will roll in corners.

Since front and rear don't have the same geometry, you change front to rear roll bias even if you add equal spacers (or offset) on both ends.

So how much the car understeers or oversteers is affected even by something as simple as adding wheel spacers.

Suspension design is very complex, and the stock components form a complete system. You can alter that system to evoke a specific desired change, or alter it as a side effect of something unintended.

Just make sure you aware of the effects whenever you make any change to spring rate, ride height, wheel offset, etc. Its all too easy to make inaccurate conclusions about the real world effects of such mods if they alter things you aren't aware of. You attribute the effect to the change you are aware of (the wheels now sit farther out), but maybe the effects you can feel are really due to changes you didn't know you made (altered roll centers and front to rear roll bias).
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
liny2sd (05-05-2021), rokkerkory (07-10-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed

^^^what he said
Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I think this could be my next mod once I do some research. I love the OEM wheels but do not like the inset look, and it gets slightly worse once the car is lowered on coilovers. Still thinking though.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preference

it all comes down to what your flavor is. For example, my S has stock wheels and 20mm spacers and coilovers dropped to the floor and rolled fenders because I am in love with the way it makes the car look. Does this throw off my suspension's intended geometry? Yes. Do I race this car where that is important to me? No. Does the car still drive on the street in a fun manner? Yes.

You have to decide what your purpose is and go for it!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i ran spacers on my s2 for about 15k miles over two years, 20mm front, 25mm rear and then 15mm rear.

you need to run at least 15mm to get integrated studs, even then i have to shave some of the studs on the 15mm rear to not have the tops hit the back of the lug pockets.

there's a 50 page thread of pics of ap2 wheels with spacers. you would need to roll your fenders if slammed.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

You dont need extended studs. Just get Ichiba spacers or the like. They have recessed holes for mounting on the stock studs and have their own integrated studs where the wheels mount to. I run 20mm all round
Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The recessed stud spacers are not a good idea on a track car. I've seen a set of those develop cracks at the track, and I can't say I've seen more than a handful in the 15 years I've been hitting the track regularly. Slip on spacers are fine as long as you have enough lug nut engagement. Rule of thumb is that 6-7 full threads is the absolute minimum. 8+ is generally regarded as safe for any application.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I run 15mm F and 17mm R on my 2007 on swift spec r springs and i think it looks great. I had to roll n relocate on oem size RE11A tires... If you are going to track often, you could always get extended studs... but i went with the Ichiba v.2 spacers since i only street drive.

Quick Reply: Spacers? Bad or OK?