S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

tinting on my ap1

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tinting on my ap1

so ive searched already and found no answer sorry if it is hidden somewhere.
i have a 2001 ap1 that has the soft back window not glass but i want to know if i could still get the rear window tinted, and if not will my car look stupid with the two side windows tinted and the back window with no tint . i had tints on my last car and i miss them i wish i could see a picture of an ap1 with tints and no tints on the rear soft window or atleast know if thats been done if i cant get the rear tinted.
anyone know ?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my AP1, the sides at 28% and nothing on the bad. Looks just fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tint the side ones, it will look fine. You can NOT tint the plastic rear window.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Static cling.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just tint the 2 sides and leave the back it will be just fine
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about using spray tint?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by DallasAp1
so ive searched already and found no answer sorry if it is hidden somewhere.
i have a 2001 ap1 that has the soft back window not glass but i want to know if i could still get the rear window tinted, and if not will my car look stupid with the two side windows tinted and the back window with no tint . i had tints on my last car and i miss them i wish i could see a picture of an ap1 with tints and no tints on the rear soft window or atleast know if thats been done if i cant get the rear tinted.
anyone know ?

go to walmart and pick up 5% or 20% static cling tint (its the kind that sticks with static electricity) for $13. You will than need to cut it out to the shape of your window (ive read you can use tinfoil to get the shape than cut the tint to the foil. When you put it on though from what ive read you have to use soap and water in a spray bottle and than apply the tint and use a squeegee or a credit card to take out the air bubbles

OR

you can buy the tint and take it to a tint shop and have them put it on along with your tint on the sides. either way good luck. i have to do it too, ive been putting it off.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM

If you did static cling tint on the rear I feel like A: it would look like crap, and or B: you would have to be adjusting it often from taking the top up and down. I havent seen anyone sucessfully do a nice job on theirs without looking cheap. I would honestly just leave it alone, tint the side windows, and when you need a new top either get a glass rear window soft top, or get a hardtop and tint the rear window on that.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 AM

I've got 5 on sides 2 sheets of 5 stacked on rear window, Looks good but can't see out for shit at night time though. Paint your plastic with plastidip then just forget about it and use side mirrors,lol. Oh and don't forget never put your top back down! All jokes aside though you should be able to go a tint shop and find what your looking for, I've seen plenty of plastic jeep windows tinted unless they come.from factory like that? Hell it might be dyed Idk.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by DallasAp1
will my car look stupid with the two side windows tinted and the back window with no tint
Totally subjective. I'd want the rear window tinted. YMMV.

Quick Reply: tinting on my ap1