S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Velocity stack on OEM intake?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity stack on OEM intake?

So I was browsing around PWD:JDM's website and I stumbled across this:

VELOCITY STACK

And an idea popped up. I have a snorkel coupled with my oem box, do you think it will work? I was thinking if it will work with 1)OEM intake arm, 2)aftermarket intake arms(i.e. S2X Cf arm, GoTuning Titanium arm, SAMCO). Keep in mind that I did cut out the silencer chamber(?) so there is more space on the intake arm side of the box.

What do you guys think? I do understand that it will not generate 5890324 whp. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My honest opinion, I think you should spend the money elsewhere. I know some people have used it on the FIPK and liked it, but I highly doubt you will even notice a difference with the OEM airbox. I've had many many combos with the airbox, and even after doing a bunch of mods and different things I didn't really notice much of a difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the thing is that I am not expecting a lot of power from an intake anyways, unless I spend a good amount of money and buy PWD:JDM's or J's intake. Also, I really like the OEM box and how it looks in the engine bay. I dont like the look of a tube intake, it makes the engine bay look too empty. Anyways, all this stuff is just to keep me busy until I get a supercharger. But if the velocity stack works, I would consider doing it. Like a painted valve cover, it's just cool.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

I see what you mean, but with the OEM airbox you will just completely forget you have it over time which is no fun. I agree I had my airbox modded and I put a black Samco arm on it, but wanted the GoTuning Titanium for dress up. I thought about a velocity stack but since I most likely wouldnt notice a difference with the OEM unit, and its not like a nice engine dress up item either. I would definetly use it to save for your supercharger later on. Getting an early start will help out a ton with anything else you will need for it, or for supporting mods.

Just for kicks and giggles, here was my airbox right before I put the Samco intake arm. I then switched the the FIPK intake, now I have the PRM. This is just to prove I actually did spend some money on my airbox. It was also gutted/insulated on the inside with a K&N filter.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

I had a BPi velocity stack/K&N filter in my OEM box and noticed nothing. This is even being compared to a VERY dirty OEM filter. The BPi has been proven to work on other various honda motors so I came to the conclusion that the small hole in the OEM box is restricting the potential gain.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Mugen CF airbox or a knockoff. It has a built in velocity stack.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I'm a believer in velocity stack principles on the intake side, the factory OEM filter has one built into the base so as far as I'm concerned it is perfect. If you were to compare an aftermarket velocity stack to the oem filter you might not see any gains as the oem filter has one built into the base of it. If you were comparing a non-velocity stack filter to a velocity stack filter then you might see a small gain/difference. I came across the K&N factory filter replacement a while ago and noticed it didn't have a velocity stack built into it, so it might be a candidate for one but I'm happy sticking with the Honda filter which comes with one every time.