S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

ap2 intake manifold on an ap1?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ap2 intake manifold on an ap1?

can i run an ap2 intake manifold on my ap1?im trying to match my 70/69mm TB to the 69mm intake port on the ap2 manifold, will the fuel rail injectors and hoses all hook up from my ap1 if i buy a used ap2 intake manifold?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 AM

My goal with this is to get maximum airflow into the motor but i don't want to pay top dollar on an aftermarket intake manifold and keep the build as oem Honda as possible when I can. I have a custom made 3.5" AEM style CAI with a velocity stack that i'm running through a 70/69mm Ballade throttle body. Annd keeping with the resonance philosophy of matching exhaust diameters with your header/HFC/TP etc. I want to match the 69mm TB to the 69mm stock ap2 intake manifold that conveniently will save me some money as well. does anyone have any insight or experience with this combination of parts or ideas about if this will give any synergistic gains with matching tb and manifold running an intake vs different sized parts. Also i have read in other posts that our cars(like most) tend to run rich, without getting a tune will the a/f ratio lean out from the increased airflow resulting from this setup or will the stock computer detect more air and add more fuel to maintain the ratio?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome for how feasible this set up could be and what gains/results can be expected if I can pull iit together. Thx!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

You want to use a dbw manifold on your AP1? I think you're going to run in to much more trouble than just the injectors.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM

no i was thinking of getting one off an 04-05 ap2
Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM

alot of ppl on here seemingly correctly think that aside from intake and exhaust most other na bolt ons aren't worth the money and provide little gains. so taking that at face value and then reading things like this https://www.reddit.com/r/S2000/comme..._a_difference/ my thinking is that if an intake/ exaust is one of the few worthy bolt ons, essentially allowing the motor to breathe in and out more effiecently then maybe its worth doing all the way(on the breatheing in part). If the intake is worth doing by itself hp wise then the tb and manifold to match will only complement the intake further right? You have a 3.5" intake narrowing into a 62mm stock tb then going into a 64mm manifold and getting decent gains per $. would the intake side of things be even better/optimized per say going from 3.5" to 70/69mm tb to 69mm manifold and calling it a day on the breathing-in side of things. not counting labor if i did the work myself the tb and manifold could be had for under 250$. You cant even get an ebay header for that price and plenty of ppl spend real JDM money on headers and get little to no gain from it on the dyno. I dont know im new around here im just thinking out loud at this point and want to hear what you guys think, I searched but couldn't really find anyone exploring this rout. I want to make as much NA HP as possible for the least $ essentially (no ebay parts!) so aside from the hfc ill probably leave the rest of the stock exhaust as is since the cat seems to be the limiting factor on that side of things and it'd cost a grand or more for headers and a cat back for few additional hp. im not saying im right or wrong i haven't bought anything yet just drawing it up on the chalkboard at this point but this is kinda where im at. Id like to hear from anyone who has changed intake manifolds and what their experience was. A tune/ecm is probably somewhere down the road after im done with bolt ons. then move on to suspension, wheels/tires ,downforce ,weight reduction, brakes, and all that good stuff. Like an S2000 type r if they made it from the factory is kinda the build target in my head ..but on a reasonable budget
Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

That wall of text is very hard to read.
00-05 has the same intake manifold with ~64mm inlet, just get your existing manifold ported to your new and bigger TB.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

That wall of text is very hard to read -- and some breaks and more capitals would help. I gave up reading it...

-- Chuck
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an AP1 manifold I ported to 74mm, not sure if it'd be too much for Ballade's 69/70mm TB (I know my old AP1 62mm TB is too small for it, caused vacuum leak at TB/IM connection when I tried it). Anyway, I'd sell the ported AP1 IM for $100 + shipping. Here is an old pic with the 74mm skunk2 TB (I also have that for cheap, like $100, if you'd also like that). I did have to reinforce the 6 oclock position of the IM with a new piece of aluminum and JB weld'd it on, would share updated pics if you're interested:

Last edited by snitm; 02-21-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The 04-05 doesn't have the big intake diameter...you the ap2/v2. If the manifold can be opened up, that would seem the simplest. Ballade will sell you one opened up for $275 plus your core. How were you going to tune it?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an 06+ ap2 (w/flashpro- tuned by Gernby) and decided to go the expensive, jdm route. I know Andrewhake has already done it with good results. I'll keep you guys posted on my butt dyno results once I install the larger throttle body+tapered spacer.