S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.
View Poll Results: Which one is better for my 06 AP2 guys ?
CT Engineering intake
60.09%
K&N fipk intake
39.91%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

CT Engineering intake VS. K&N fipk intake

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the gains? I know the K&N is best bang for your buck, and there's dyno sheets. CT looks great, but have not seen any dyno sheets for it. IMO i think it should be similar gains, can somebody confirm this?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by twinpnoy84
Originally Posted by S2k007' timestamp='1335301561' post='21639295
[quote name='GravyRobber' timestamp='1335301238' post='21639280']
I have the K&N and kinda wish I would have just left it stock. In fact, I might just put the stock one back on this weekend.
Why do you feel this way?
Yes, please tell us why you feel this way?
[/quote]

I just feel like the K&N is of poor quality now that I see it in person. The "heat shield" looks like some kind of generic piece that was adapted for the S2000. The mounting of everything is marginal, at best. The whole system just fits loosely and is free to just "flop" around. The hole in the heat shield is about 2X as big as it needs to be for the intake arm to fit, resulting in a loose fit. The cradle thing that is supposed to support the intake arm is all but useless, and again, 2X the size it needs to be to hold anything with any security. There are no provisions to secure the vacuum and coolant lines that were once secured to the OEM pipe assembly and/or air box. Now I have a mess of zip ties holding everything up and away from the serpentine belt.

I understand that it isn't a "big money" intake. I did, however, think that K&N would have done a better job of ironing out all the small details.

The positives is that it sounds great, and I do think my butt dyno can feel a difference in response and power. To do it over again, I'd probably go with a CT, solely because of a more "solid" fit.

Name:  762b7799.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  105.7 KB
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too debated between these two systems. I chose the icebox because it's nicer looking and more rare. The k&n is a little louder and I'm sur ether yield similar gains.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CT looks better IMO.
Name:  IMG_0060-1.jpg
Views: 5073
Size:  74.6 KB
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone ! if anyone else wants to add opinions please do !
Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by GravyRobber
Originally Posted by twinpnoy84' timestamp='1335302147' post='21639315
[quote name='S2k007' timestamp='1335301561' post='21639295']
[quote name='GravyRobber' timestamp='1335301238' post='21639280']
I have the K&N and kinda wish I would have just left it stock. In fact, I might just put the stock one back on this weekend.
Why do you feel this way?
Yes, please tell us why you feel this way?
[/quote]

I just feel like the K&N is of poor quality now that I see it in person. The "heat shield" looks like some kind of generic piece that was adapted for the S2000. The mounting of everything is marginal, at best. The whole system just fits loosely and is free to just "flop" around. The hole in the heat shield is about 2X as big as it needs to be for the intake arm to fit, resulting in a loose fit. The cradle thing that is supposed to support the intake arm is all but useless, and again, 2X the size it needs to be to hold anything with any security. There are no provisions to secure the vacuum and coolant lines that were once secured to the OEM pipe assembly and/or air box. Now I have a mess of zip ties holding everything up and away from the serpentine belt.

I understand that it isn't a "big money" intake. I did, however, think that K&N would have done a better job of ironing out all the small details.

The positives is that it sounds great, and I do think my butt dyno can feel a difference in response and power. To do it over again, I'd probably go with a CT, solely because of a more "solid" fit.

Name:  762b7799.jpg
Views: 3644
Size:  105.7 KB
[/quote]

this is installed incorrectly fyi, that is why it flaps around.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Banned

I have the AEM CAI v3 for my 06ap2 and love the sound,looks and quality.. The polished piping looks awesome when you open your hood and it opens up alot of engine bay space where the stock box covered everything up.. When you look at my car from the front you can actually see the filter and chrome pipe shining behind the front bumper but at the same time its a bit scary going through huge puddles which Ive only had one scare in 3 years due to my own fault of not paying attention.. I love it but if youre prone to alot of water or floods in your area i dont recommend it..
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
I have the AEM CAI v3 for my 06ap2 and love the sound,looks and quality.. The polished piping looks awesome when you open your hood and it opens up alot of engine bay space where the stock box covered everything up.. When you look at my car from the front you can actually see the filter and chrome pipe shining behind the front bumper but at the same time its a bit scary going through huge puddles which Ive only had one scare in 3 years due to my own fault of not paying attention.. I love it but if youre prone to alot of water or floods in your area i dont recommend it..
i like the location of the V2 better than the V3, which is why i'm going to get an injen for my 08
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM

I have the K&N and I'm really happy with it. Sounds the same as OEM just cruising around town but at WOT it sounds way better. When VTEC kicks in it sounds orgasmic. As for gains I wouldn't expect much on a dyno sheet, I noticed a little better throttle response and maybe a little more power up top on the butt dyno but I wouldn't expect a whole lot as far as hp gains.

I have an ap1 and there was no drilling required. Install was easy, maybe 45 minutes and I was good to go. My only complaint is that it looks ricey.

The CT one looks wayy better but I guess that's opinion. I have heard some bad things about heat soak in the K&N but I've only had it since last fall, so no summer driving with it yet. If it's a problem I'll pick up a cooling plate similar to what Biohazard has in his pic.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the FIPK is up by one vote. Saturday is getting closer and I need to make up my mind.

Quick Reply: CT Engineering intake VS. K&N fipk intake