S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/)
-   -   F20c bolt-ons (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/f20c-bolt-ons-1048650/)

Pulp_PWR 09-22-2013 09:16 AM

F20c bolt-ons

Hi Guys

Just looking for some insights into what works in terms of basic bolt-ons for 2006+ F20c equipped S2000's.

I come from a K-series background and understand that many of the same principles that work well on a K20a, also work on a F20c

The stock header and inlet manifold look pretty well designed, is there much to be gained by going aftermarket?

For example I was loosely thinking of:

3.5" CAI
J37 throttle
Stock inlet Ported to 70mm
Stock header with a test pipe
3" Exhaust
Hondata Flashpro

I was also curious about drop in cams, I noticed BC offer a drop in for the stock valve train.

Many thanks in advance for any info!

pcfanta 09-24-2013 01:18 AM

Also interested to know.
Thanks for the thread

Kermdaddy 09-24-2013 05:18 AM

It's going to be a little different for you guys overseas since you have an AP2 with a F20. I'm assuming parts that work for all model years will be your best bet as I don't know the specifics of your motor. Is it DBW?

If you can, and I don't know, if you could get a Flashpro from Hondata, you will be a lot better off than not and having to go full stand alone. Test pipe, CAI, etc. won't help as much as a good tune.

Don't expect the same amount of gains per part as the K series engine. It is costs major $ to get extra ponies.

Pulp_PWR 09-24-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy (Post 22793671)
It's going to be a little different for you guys overseas since you have an AP2 with a F20. I'm assuming parts that work for all model years will be your best bet as I don't know the specifics of your motor. Is it DBW?

If you can, and I don't know, if you could get a Flashpro from Hondata, you will be a lot better off than not and having to go full stand alone. Test pipe, CAI, etc. won't help as much as a good tune.

Don't expect the same amount of gains per part as the K series engine. It is costs major $ to get extra ponies.

Yes DBW - Same as the 2007+ Civic SI

I would make my own intake and have an exhaust fabricated. The other parts are not model speciifc really.

Seems the F20c has aready met much of its potential N/A, having said that, making 240 on a dynojet seems possible?

Kermdaddy 09-24-2013 11:04 AM

Depends on the dyno, but with just bolt-ons I would say it is a stretch to make 240 hp. That is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% increase in power. I'm not saying it can't be done, it will just cost you :suspect:

Pulp_PWR 09-25-2013 04:02 AM

J37 throttle with adaptor and gaskets ~ $300
Machine shop to hone everything out to 70mm ~ $100
Custom intake $0 - I have the parts already
test pipe $150
3" cat back $750
BC cams $600
flashpro $600 + my time for self tune or an etune

Looks to be about $2.5 all in, for +30hp about 83 bucks a horse...

Kermdaddy 09-25-2013 04:43 AM

That's not bad. I hope you get the results you are looking for, but I just don't see you gaining 30 hp from those mods.

For $2500 you could almost pick up a used SC kit.

b.r.i.a.n. 09-25-2013 07:59 AM

i've posted my results from my F20C before. here was the thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

that was roughly 38 whp gain over stock and even more in the mid range. the drive by wire cars have access to flashpro to tune the stock ecu so i would start there. if you want an off the shelf intake, use something with a long pipe such as an aem or injen cold air. 3.5 inch would be more ideal but that would have to be custom made.

keep the header stock. add a 3 inch test pipe and a 3 inch single exit exhaust and you're done. that should get you somewhere in the high 220/low 230 whp range on a dynojet. 240 whp is easier to achieve on a F22. don't worry too much about peak hp. you're going to get a nice full powerband with bolt on's and a tune. it's going to be a night and day difference.

Pulp_PWR 09-25-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy (Post 22795548)
That's not bad. I hope you get the results you are looking for, but I just don't see you gaining 30 hp from those mods.For $2500 you could almost pick up a used SC kit.

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n. (Post 22795923)
i've posted my results from my F20C before. here was the thread:https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...ed-intake/that was roughly 38 whp gain over stock and even more in the mid range. the drive by wire cars have access to flashpro to tune the stock ecu so i would start there. if you want an off the shelf intake, use something with a long pipe such as an aem or injen cold air. 3.5 inch would be more ideal but that would have to be custom made. keep the header stock. add a 3 inch test pipe and a 3 inch single exit exhaust and you're done. that should get you somewhere in the high 220/low 230 whp range on a dynojet. 240 whp is easier to achieve on a F22. don't worry too much about peak hp. you're going to get a nice full powerband with bolt on's and a tune. it's going to be a night and day difference.

Good stuff Brian, do you have a picture of your intake?

This was the last 3.5" stepped intake I made on a Type R EP3, included a BPi V-stack and K&N filter:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/...13752570_z.jpg

The dyno gave me all the data I needed to optimise the length.

I am thinking the length will be similar on the Sk2 so might not have drop down into the wheel well.

I have access to 95ron fuel (UK 99ron) so with the drop in cams 230whp should be easy.

b.r.i.a.n. 09-25-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pulp_PWR (Post 22796101)
Good stuff Brian, do you have a picture of your intake?

This was the last 3.5" stepped intake I made on a Type R EP3, included a BPi V-stack and K&N filter:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/...13752570_z.jpg

The dyno gave me all the data I needed to optimise the length.

I am thinking the length will be similar on the Sk2 so might not have drop down into the wheel well.

I have access to 95ron fuel (UK 99ron) so with the drop in cams 230whp should be easy.

i do not have pictures. the intake pipe runs down below the drivers side headlight. it sits behind the fake brake duct on the bumper. i played with length on the dyno too. i had a short ram on there before and the long intake pipe picked up a lot more power up top. i would leave the throttle body and cams for last. add an intake, test pipe, header and tune it.

Pulp_PWR 09-25-2013 09:35 AM

So thats the right hand side as you face the car?

I would want to optimise the intake for the cams & throttle and tune the setup once ideally.

b.r.i.a.n. 09-25-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pulp_PWR (Post 22796130)
So thats the right hand side as you face the car?

I would want to optimise the intake for the cams & throttle and tune the setup once ideally.

yes it is. i would tune it with just the intake, the test pipe and exhaust. the cams and throttle body may not yield as much hp as you think. try the stock cams first.

Pulp_PWR 09-26-2013 06:55 AM

Random question, but are the K20a and F20c valve springs interchangeable?? I've seen several references to people putting s2000 valve springs into RSX's for mild aftermarket cams. Some vendors also list their springs for both the k20a and F20c i.e. Toda.

Croc 09-29-2013 12:11 PM

i did it all except bigger throttle body.
worth the money? i don't know. this is subjective.
do i like the result? YES :thumbup:
would i do it again? Sure :tipwink: