S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Proof is in the pudding lets talk air induction

Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proof is in the pudding lets talk air induction

Ok so upon my research in the stickied Air Intake thread we have various intakes and write ups on each of the companys product. Included are speculation as to what each system produces horsepower wise. There are a few that even say little to no gain. So why do i make a thread on this? Well ive looked into the s2000 intake sytem, and it seems like they have a good setup from the factory, a decent flowing cone filter inside an air box that doubles as a chamber to keep engine bay heat out. We all know hot air = less power. So last night i installed an intake that places a k&n 3" filter almost in the exact location of the stock air box. Only there is no air box to keep hot engine bay air out. Feels like i picked up some low end torque but also that could be a placebo effect due to me adding a "performance part" So has anyone actually put to the test an in bay filter intake on an s2k on the dyno to see if there are any gains? Im wanting to know what actually does and doesnt work as far as filter placement and making power on this particular model car. I dont want it on there if i havent made any power increase. Ill go buy something else that works like the password jdm. Even the ARC airbox they say doesnt produce any extra power, this to me is pointless. im not looking for 20hp gain just a few more hp from a simple mod. Thanks for reading. Input?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM

My idea of a perfect intake would be the passwordjdm snorkel with the k&n fipk and the passwordjdm cooling plate w/ cut out. Id want to make a custom top to box in the K&N intake.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM

You you get the K&N intake? If so it does have a box.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

K&N FIPK with heatwrap and DIY snorkle with enlarged opening, bottle neck under bonnet removed.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:33 PM

I have a 2 1/2 inch aluminum piping with a k&n filter just wondering if it actually makes power over stock without a box to keep out hot engine bay air.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ hum the metal tube might cause heat soak. the K&N FIPK did make power and it doesn't technically have a box. i would like to see a comparison of the K&N FIPK and the AEM V2.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Im assuming that the K&N filter does flow more air over the oem filter, and the tube is smoother than the stock piping so i am assuming there were some power gains. also a dyno tuner i know swears that a velocity stack with a K&N 5" filter makes around 8whp gain on any 4 cyl vehicle u install it on. I will be picking these up to install on the end of my tube. Still swear i picked up low end torque
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe heat soak. but hum might try that one day, or i get the aem v2.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by blkwidow,Sep 1 2009, 03:10 PM
You you get the K&N intake? If so it does have a box.
the top is open though, im talking about closing the top part of it
Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 PM

You are going to get very little hp if any at all from an intake.. just sounds cool.

Quick Reply: Proof is in the pudding lets talk air induction