S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by f20kills
Nice!! Glad to see good gains! Totally worth it!

Do they sell this mani and adapter plate still?
XPerformance may sell them on behalf of Jason at CNC Speedshop. Jason doesn't do direct retail sales anymore.

But Jason REALLY needs to improve on the quality of his s2000 fuel rail adapter brackets for this setup. I'm sure he'll make good on making the strongest brackets imaginable.. given my encouraging results, this is a nice opportunity for him

I'm currently broken down in CT (1h45m from my home in MA) because the fuel rail bracket broke on my way home from PA. Gas was spraying out of the top of the 4th cylinder's fuel injector (where it goes into the fuel rail) because the broken fuel rail bracket was no longer holding the fuel rail tight. Here are pics of my tale of woe. Of course I couldn't have today be perfect. WIn some and lose some. Thankfully I exited the highway within 30 secs and shut the car off at a rest area within 60 secs.. currently waiting for AAA ($500 tow home.. wheee)

Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
Y

Nice to see you come around from your spat of negativity.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

XPerformance may sell them on behalf of Jason at CNC Speedshop. Jason doesn't do direct retail sales anymore.

But Jason REALLY needs to improve on the quality of his s2000 fuel rail adapter brackets for this setup. I'm sure he'll make good on making the strongest brackets imaginable.. given my encouraging results, this is a nice opportunity for him

I'm currently broken down in CT (1h45m from my home in MA) because the fuel rail bracket broke on my way home from PA. Gas was spraying out of the top of the 4th cylinder's fuel injector (where it goes into the fuel rail) because the broken fuel rail bracket was no longer holding the fuel rail tight. Here are pics of my tale of woe. Of course I couldn't have today be perfect. WIn some and lose some. Thankfully I exited the highway within 30 secs and shut the car off at a rest area within 60 secs.. currently waiting for AAA ($500 tow home.. wheee)

to bad we didn't exchange numbers. I live in CT. Could've picked you up lol.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'm completely open to suggestions for a mustang bolt 80mm or 90mm TB. This 74mm skunk2 TB is absolute trash. The return spring isn't strong enough to reliably close the throttle plate. Requiring me to blip the throttle to get it to close. Sucks a lot in CT traffic.
oh I know. I have the 74mm skunk2 throttle body on my car and I agree, it's trash. I've tried shaving down the blade a bit it has helped but it will still get stuck from time to time on deceleration.

as far as the 80mm or 90mm throttle body goes, k tuned makes both an 80mm and 90mm throttle body with the 86-93 mustang 5.0 bolt pattern.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
oh I know. I have the 74mm skunk2 throttle body on my car and I agree, it's trash. I've tried shaving down the blade a bit it has helped but it will still get stuck from time to time on deceleration.

as far as the 80mm or 90mm throttle body goes, k tuned makes both an 80mm and 90mm throttle body with the 86-93 mustang 5.0 bolt pattern.
You can also do the Q45 Throttle body for cheap. I tired one on the end of my excessive Manifold but there was no way. it was to large and I would have needed to cut a large hole in the hood to close it. But perhaps on a manifold a little shorter then the excessive it might fit. Get you OEM reliability.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn that sucks...I guess you could always get a K fuel rail to avoid any bracket issues. But hopefully you're up and running soon!

Did you have to use two intake gaskets? One for the adapter plate to the block and one for the intake mani to the plate.

Last edited by f20kills; 04-21-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.

Jeff Evans recommended I check out Accufab's mustang TB but I didn't want to get into dealing with domestic vs foreign wiring conversion.

SO I ran with your K-tuned suggestion and went with the KTD-TB8-IA--B 80mm TB. John at K-tuned has been great to work with. He helped come up with a solution for how I can use a slightly modified K-tuned throttle bracket so it'll be ready for install on delivery. Thanks b.r.i.a.n.!

Last edited by snitm; 04-21-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Damn that sucks...I guess you could always get a K fuel rail to avoid any bracket issues. But hopefully you're up and running soon!

Did you have to use two intake gaskets? One for the adapter plate to the block and one for the intake mani to the plate.
I thought about getting a K-series fuel rail but then I'd have to get into some serious customization of that fuel rail to get everything the s2000 setup needs attached (not to mention, monkeying with the fuel injectors).

As for gaskets, yes I re-used a Hondata gasket closest to the AP1 head, then Jason @ CNC provides a gasket that sandwiches between the 2 halves of the F and K series adapter plates, and lastly a thin metal K-series (OEM afaik) IM gasket was used between the adapter plate and the skunk2 ultra race.

Be warned, if you go with the Hondata gasket (which is nice for the added thickness) the coolant passage is not there, would have to drill it out:

And you'd be wise to do so otherwise you'd be like me and have to resort to this hack (of parking up hill, with the radiator at highest point, with a leakless funnel) to get the air to bleed out of the coolant lines:

The following users liked this post:
f20kills (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool..thanks for the info. I use Hondata too with my mani. No real benefit to it unless you're in stop and go traffic and only park/turn off your car for no more than 5 min.
I log my temps and it does nothing for the track. I wouldn't use it again lol
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Cool..thanks for the info. I use Hondata too with my mani. No real benefit to it unless you're in stop and go traffic and only park/turn off your car for no more than 5 min.
I log my temps and it does nothing for the track. I wouldn't use it again lol
Well, except it adds thickness to the runners. My outlook on it was: every little bit should help. The fact that I got some serious increase at 6200, and even much lower, makes me happy

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold