S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

VAFC2 simple question

Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC2 simple question

Hello , I was a bit confused reading into some old VAFC2 topics and I have a few questions.

Do I have to pull the ECU fuse every so often to keep up with proper performance levels?
Do I have to pull the ECU fuse If i've changed my driving to a more aggressive stance?

Also to my knowledge pulling the Ecu fuse does not delete your tune correct?

I've noticed my car has been acting a tad bit slower call it weather or fatal error ... I'm anal so what I have in plan is compression-leak down test and check the spark plugs, change the oil and reset the ECU. Any help or suggestions would be great.

P.S my car was tuned my MASE @ MASE ENGINEERING.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pulling the fuse will not lose your tune. You tune the vafc2 in WOT only throttle >60%, it will be learnt over quickly in partial throttle
where LTFT and STFT fueling is applied.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When were you tuned? As temp, humidity changes it all plays a role in your air fuel ratio. Do you have a wideband guage or a way to datalog a pull? I just installed mine today and did a little street tuning. It really isn't that hard as long as you have the stuff to datalog it.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM

It was tuned when it was hot as he'll out still hot as he'll out in Fl I paid hood money to have made tune it not to mention a long drive so I'm not tinkering with it. I'll get to the bottom of it. And if not I'll have a good tune up and piece of mind.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Im in southern Georgia, its still hot as hell, but it has definitely cooled down from the summer. Our temperature has been fluctuating these last couple of weeks.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Buy a wideband and make very small adjustments at a time. shoot for a number lower than 13.0. The closer you get to that number the more aggressive you get.. Too high of a number and your motor will run hotter than it should and eventually, pop.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

View your settings and compare them other members settings(there's a VAFC library thread on here), do you have a plot showing a/f handy? If so please post. If you really have a problem or youre just unsatisfied take it to your tuner. s2konroids is correct, also I sounds like your have heat soak issues because of our Florida weather, what intake are you using?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm using a k&n fipk I was never told I needed another gadget to adjust or visually see readings. Maybe I'm missing something here or just never read into it to much. I'm not sure how to view af ratios. It may sound noob but I was scared to touch the vafc2 after it was tuned thinking I'd mess something up and being a 2hr plus drive and $150 it never seemed worth the risk.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02widowmaker
I'm using a k&n fipk I was never told I needed another gadget to adjust or visually see readings. Maybe I'm missing something here or just never read into it to much. I'm not sure how to view af ratios. It may sound noob but I was scared to touch the vafc2 after it was tuned thinking I'd mess something up and being a 2hr plus drive and $150 it never seemed worth the risk.
You dont need another gadget(I dont use one either). You will have to read up on it more though, it wont seem so complex once you do. A/f ratios, if you received one, should be on your dyno sheet/plot/slip. I would not touch your tune at all, your tuner knows your car better than any of us would. I think your tune is fine youre just experiencing a little heat soak(engine heat or heat in general being sucked in through the intake creating a sluggish boggy performance from your car. It happens to almost everyone that lives in the southern warm states(me included)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 AM

I'll be installing by brake duct ram air contraption this week end I'll post pics you replied toy post months back wheb I posted the dyno results if you doa quick search for mase tune in Florida section you will find my post maybe it has af ratios not sure.

Quick Reply: VAFC2 simple question