S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

1st AutoX in S2K

Old 07-17-2001, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st AutoX in S2K

I just got the results from my first autoX in my 6 week old S2K. WHAT A FUN CAR!

First, a quick introduction since I'm also new to this forum: I just replaced my beloved '87 Carrera with a 2001 Spa Yellow S2K. I've been autocrossing for almost 10 years, the last 5 in the Porsche.

I haven't been so nervous as I was Sunday in a long time, mainly because I didn't know what to expect out of the car, and also the fear of damaging something since I only have 1000 miles on it. The car performed better than I expected, even though I'm used to the higher grip of the Kumhos on the Porsche and the S2K is still on the S02's.

I run in a small club that usually only has 30 drivers. Consequently, we only have a few classes: Over/Under 3.0L and Street/Race tires. I now run in the Under 3.0L/Sreet tire class. I am proud to say that I won the class, barely. In addition, I beat two NSX's and a new Z06 Corvette! The driver of the Corvette is a very experienced driver, but is only on his 3rd autocross with the car. I don't expect I'll be beating him for very long. I believe that the fact that I beat the Z06 says a lot about how easy the S2K is to drive.

My impressions of the car:

1. The car pushed much more than I expected, especially in the tightest corners. This could just be me overdriving the street tires and being too agressive.

2. The back end stepped out a couple of times under power, but very catchable. (Remember: I'm used to a tail heavy 911!) It did step sideways as I tried to take a sweeper flat out at around 7500 in 2nd! THAT GOT MY ATTENTION!

3. I left the car in 2nd for the whole run, and it did bog pretty good a couple of places, but not as bad as I feared. I'll leave first gear until I get a few more miles on it.

4. This car is going to make it easy to get over selling the Carrera!

Thanks to everyone for providing all of the great info on this forum. All of the discussions about the car's handling characteristics, set up, tire pressures, etc were a big help for the first autocross, and will continue to be in the future.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:35 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Any recommendations on the best way to get pylon scuff marks off of the Honda body kit pieces. I've hit my share of cones in other cars, but have never had problems with scuffing like this. It could just be the bright color showing the scuffs better.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're enjoying the car!

To avoid scuff marks I fit a bra to the front of my car for autocross events. Colgan makes one and it is available at one of our sponsors, Top Notch Auto, for about $80. To remove scuff marks, I use a polish from Liqui-Tech, but I've heard that Zaino works well too. I prefer the bra, because cones also lightly scratch the paint.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:51 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tim, good job for your first time out in the S2K!

The first time I autocrossed my car on street tires I had a great deal of understeer (push). The problem was that I was not turning in smoothly enough. The S2K demands a smooth turn in, any jerky movements on turn in and it'll push. In the 911 you can move the wheel much faster without fear of the push because of the light front. Many people find the oversteer to be a problem when they start autoXing the S2000. I would think switching from the 911 to the S2K will make this a no-brainer for you.

Congrats on your new car, you're going to love it!
Old 07-18-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like one of Meguiar's detailer sprays removes cone marks nicely. I've seen two people using that with easy-looking results. Tim, have you done an alignment or checked it yet?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:23 PM

welcome!

For cone marks on our Spa Yellow, I use Mother's Carnauba Cleaner wax - works great and waxes at the same time!

And if you put Kumho's on the car, expect much much more oversteer, as you'll be reducing the differential in the contact patch between front and rear - i.e. more tire up front in relation to rear. Watch out for spins!