S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2010 S2K Challenge Series #3 - Buttonwillow

Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LONG READ (don’t mind my spelling and grammar) but man was it a crazy day for me.

S2KC #3

It started out perfect with nice weather and fast lap times. I was able to do my personal best 2:01.99x on my lap timer which was good for an official 2:02.0xx….my best prior was a 2:07, 2:05…(cant remember ). The day became progressively worse as winds became very STRONG and lap times were at least 2 seconds slower for the group.

TT

After the few surprises at the end of the TT, I placed 4th for the day (my personal best again…..by default though lol) and felt my track time is slowly improving. After everyone received their trophies it started to rain bad! (BTW, I’m on NT01s with little to no tread)
I had ZERO bars on my tank since I just got done with the TT, the station was closed at the track and I was very sure I wasn’t going to make it 10miles.

Onto the best part….ugghhh

I ended up making it to the gas station OK and filled her up with 12.5 gallons.
By this time the rain had stopped, and I was making good time heading home. By now the time was around 7:20pm and looking like it wasn’t going to rain anymore heading up the Grapevine…..boy was I wrong!
The rain and wind was BAAAAD. My car was very twitchy and unstable at higher (45+) speeds. I managed to make it to a small gas station stop on the side of the freeway to make some phone calls (I ran into Mike too )……. After trying to find out what the weather was like closer to home (no rain), I decided to get back on the road …..bad decision! Going down theI felt like anything over 35 was unstable with the amount of rain the was coming down.
I’m pretty sure it was Mike who hung out with me on the way down….THANKS!

I ended up pulling off at Castaic to see if I could get a Hotel….and of course, it stops raining. Even though it had stopped, I wanted to go to the nearest Hotel to see if I could just stay the night. Since I don’t know the area, I made a wrong turn and had to turn around……and pass by a Police Officer trying to head to the Hotel.
As soon as I saw him at the light, I knew he was going to pull me over….sure enough, he did lol…reason, no front plate (riiiiight…profiler!! Lol). He asked for the usual and did a quick check on me. No crazy warrants so I was clean lol. He comes back hands me my stuff and asks, “Do you race this?’
ME: “I sure do just trying to get home from Buttonwillow and thinking about staying the night here”
Officer: Cool, Im giving you a warning but get your front on next time”
ME; THANK YOU

Since the rain stopped, I drove back home with no incident and arrived at a nice 12AM only to be up at 4AM to get ready for work.

In all, a great day and it was nice talking and hanging out with everyone!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw your car but not while we were on track. i didn't even know you were in blue, lol. i looked at your car and saw all that asm stuff, so i thought you were in like orange or red.

if you ran a 2.14 and i was running a 2.13, it would make sense if we never saw each other. if we lined up at the grid at different times, we would probably never catch each other.

oh my buddy in a red 240 was doing the same times as we were and i never saw him on track until we were both like, ok let's grid up together lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 AM

the drive home was very hairy for me as well. probably the worst conditions i have even driven in my s2k. lanes were disappearing and i just prayed i was staying in my lane. glad i made it safe and sounds like everyone else did too.

not so lucky were the 5 people that died on the 5S at the 14 last night.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by samlee888.com,Apr 12 2010, 10:16 AM
i saw your car but not while we were on track. i didn't even know you were in blue, lol. i looked at your car and saw all that asm stuff, so i thought you were in like orange or red.

if you ran a 2.14 and i was running a 2.13, it would make sense if we never saw each other. if we lined up at the grid at different times, we would probably never catch each other.

oh my buddy in a red 240 was doing the same times as we were and i never saw him on track until we were both like, ok let's grid up together lol.
im assuming ur talking about the red s14,. that dood almost hit me twice. he held me up quite a bit in the early hrs. we kept taking turns passing eachother haha.

ill prob stay in blue or orange until i hit the 2.05s unless im being held up too much to get a better time.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM

yeap the red one. i didn't see his lap times early in the day so i'm not sure what he was running. the session i followed him he was doing a 2.16.

some of those guys in blue need instructors. the white s2k with orange wheels, the silver 911 cab.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Some serious idiots on the track, but I guess we'll never be able to get rid of them. I just had my first experience of the point to pass fake move pulled on me, boy was a piss! I rode that bimmers rearend all the way till they went into the pits
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@ Chris: That was me. I went to Micky D's to get a coffee and you were gone when I came out . I figured you were going to get a room when you got off; It was raining all the way home
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, I was wondering if you made it back alright. Kept thinking I was going to see you on the side of the road, haha. Didn't really see anybody though except for Justin's car getting soaked on his trailer.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a pretty fun day. I wish I could have joined. I did lap my personal best on Saturday and felt I could be somewhat competitive for Sunday. Chasing 2:02 (Nam) is going to be a task especially since Charles Ng wrung every ounce of a stock CR just to get 2:03.

In for the report!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Will we get to see pics of the rolled S2K? This is Kangwoo's decision, and the owner of the car's decision as well. If either one of them does not want the pics on the internet, I respect that. But if they are willing to share, the pics may be very helpful to S2K owners trying to decide if they want to get safety equipment for tracking their cars.

Quick Reply: 2010 S2K Challenge Series #3 - Buttonwillow