S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2017 S2K Challenge discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2017 S2K Challenge discussion

Hey all,
Its about that time we open up for discussion about the 2017 season

So far here is what we've got

Sponsors:
Title Sponsor:

Maxxis Tires

Gold Sponsors:
Rockstar Garage

Silver Sponsors:
Trackspec Motorsports

Rules changes:
Current rules are here: http://www.speedventures.com/the-lin...enge-Rules.pdf
  • 200TW street tires released mid-season will be classified as L1 street tires (Hankook RS4 and a revised BFG Rival-S are due this year)
  • Points for E85 0.125 Power gains seem to be on the same order as an intake
  • Amending the line "Forced Induction (limited to 400whp on DynaPack), must take separate penalties for ECU, intake, and header as applicable" to just Forced Induction must take separate penalties for ECU, intake, and header as applicable. FI Cars will largely be contained by points/tires anyway and this isn't representative of the current state of time attack FI cars.
  • Trofeo-R are classified as L2 R Comps. This was implied but is now explicit (60TW street tire)
  • Language preventing over 100 octane and E85 removed

Tentative schedule:
Round 0: Feb 4 - Dyno day / Weigh in at Rockstar garage in Ontario
Round 1: Feb 25 - WSIR
Round 2: March 18 - CVR
Round 3: April 9 - Buttonwillow - Sunday
Round 4: May 14 - Streets of Willow - Sunday
Round 5: July 15 - Sonoma
Round 6: August 20 - ACS
Round 7: September 24 - Buttonwillow Non--13
Round 8: October 14 - Buttonwillow
Round 9: November 18 - CVR
Round 10: December 16 - Buttonwillow

Last edited by anorexicpoodle; 02-01-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

I noticed that Speed Ventures is hosting CVR on Feb 11-12.

Any chance of doing

Feb - CVR
Mar - BRP
APR - WSIR

Temps seem like they would be more favorable in that order. But, more importantly, what does the schedule look like as far as overlapping days with other competitions? I definitely think it helps with lapping traffic and having smoother days when the competition days between all the different hosted series aren't stacked.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:15 AM

Only down-side i see there is we are starting off at CVR which due to distance is not the best attended event.

You driving with us this year Albert?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:23 PM

You could start off January with ACS, and you won't have the foggy weather issue that the end of January starting at BRP was normally plagued with.

I'm definitely planning on going to more events this year. I'm still deciding between an underprepped MOD car or staying wingless in STREET. That said, i'm a no show for ACS events, because I really don't care for the track and don't like all of the walls... I'm also a no show for tracks outside of the normal 200 miles radius (SOWS, WSIR, BRP, CVR), although I'd like to eventually go to SMMR, Sonoma, and Thunderhill.

Back to the biggest improvement that I'd like to see from the series is fewer overlaps with other competitive series. In the past CVR was bad because you'd have miata, supermiata, HFF, pony car, 86 challenge, corvette, etc. etc. all showing up for the same competition day. Overlap with 1 or 2 other competitive series is cool, but all of them at the same time makes overly crowded groups and hard to get clean laps. It makes non-competition days more enjoyable when you have 7+ fewer cars per run group.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:05 PM

If you're going to make a trip, do it for Sonoma. That is hands-down the best track on the west coast.

We have more and more drivers passing on ACS for being dull/scary/hard on the car and WSIR has been under-represented in the last few years on our schedule so Dustin and I were hoping to sub some of the ACS appearances for WSIR. Preferrably in non-summer months.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Yeah, ACS is a boring track for the S2k in a TT event, and the consequences for screwing up have a much higher probability of involving a concrete wall.

WSIR is a fun track, and I'm planning on being there for the first event. Tentatively, I can see myself doing events 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the idea of 10 events, with best 6, we potentially could have more attendance that way.

also, has the S2k challenge ever done any type of social event? would be fun to plan something.

the schedule looks great to me, i agree with ACS, to me its not the best track for the s2k. but it is very convenient for a lot of people.

spring mountain sounds like a blast, and i would love to go up north to sonoma or laguna... so if you decide to go that route im definitely in
Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, would anyone be down for a fun s2k only day at Grange motor circuit? its only 1k to rent it for a full day, and we can stay the night before and hangout / camp.

i went there for a friends Bachelor party and it was a blast (i didn't drift, i did a timed grip run)

may be a fun casual TT experience,
Old 12-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Quick question for us SoCal guys, how are NT-01s in the rain versus something like RC-1s? and about how many track days before cording?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Quick question for us SoCal guys, how are NT-01s in the rain versus something like RC-1s? and about how many track days before cording?
Rain? Whats that? Maybe ask the norcal guys

No personal experience on NT01's wet but the RC1's wet are scary.

Quick Reply: 2017 S2K Challenge discussion