S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

6-Point Harness Recommendations

Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No my friend. Hans is compatible with both 3 inch and 2 inch. And going 2 inch vs 3 inch would not be cutting it safer. It says it on hans website. If I had the money and chance to buy another harness it would be a 2 inch. But I feel more safe with 1 more inch holding me down.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm liking the idea of the Scroth Hybrid so far. Need to do some research as I'm running out of time to get it in time for my next track day .

I'm the only one that drives the car.

​​
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Btw if ur car is a street car u should be going with the one clip system. That’s the only legal seat belt.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Yes I’m running 3 inch on shoulder and lap. The material g force uses on the belts is crap and very rough to even touch. I’m pretty sure a expensive company like takata uses softer belt material and it would lessen neck burns on the 3 inch system
How is the belt getting to your neck with a HANS? Mine has a ridge that keeps the belt in the correct location, and includes a swappable piece if you're running a 3".
Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
No my friend. Hans is compatible with both 3 inch and 2 inch. And going 2 inch vs 3 inch would not be cutting it safer. It says it on hans website. If I had the money and chance to buy another harness it would be a 2 inch. But I feel more safe with 1 more inch holding me down.
There is no safety difference in the shoulder harness. Since HANS has been mandatory in many environments and belts are marked with an expiration date, I would have thought you would have the 2" that fits in the channel on the HANS device, and therefore doesn't touch your neck.

The 2" lap belts are safer than the 3" lap belts. Both are strong enough to retain the driver.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM

The belt only touches when I either spin out while racing or hit huge apexs. It’s only sometimes. The belt touches on the lower part of the neck towards the coller bone. Btw this only happens when I just wear a t-shit and not the race suit.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Sparco 6 point pull-down clip-in, 3 inch lap and shoulder. I got the 3 inch shoulder because HANS works fine with either size and the 3" is safer for the odd situations where I wear the harness without HANS (autocross mostly). In retrospect the pull-UP harness would be a LOT easier to adjust once in the seat. The belt was super stiff and hard to adjust at first but it broke in after a few days of use. It does scrape my neck without the HANS.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My old belts were Willans, FIA spec, and 2"Hans compatible to 3" on shoulders. By far the best shoulder adjusters of any harness I've ever been in. However, I have a Recaro Pro Racer XL seat, and lap belts tend to be finicky for adjustment. Interaction between seat and where the adjusters are located. Fault of neither, they just didn't play well together.

Willans expired so I changed to Safecraft, model 5110 I think. I switched to these strictly because the lap adjusters are by the buckle, so no fiddling with seat. These were designed with multiple users, and endurance racing in mind. However this design addresses ease of use that I was looking for. This is a small company, run by a pro race driver. However, from Rolex Daytona, they about 1/2 the field in these belts.

Last edited by BlueBarchetta; 03-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Got the clip on G-Force camlock from a local for a really good price. Once I get a passenger seat I'll be buying the Scroth for me and moving the G-Force to the passenger.

Thanks guys
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Simpson offers an all 2" belt in 6pt and 7pt. They also offer a choice of rotary or lever camlock. There are way more 3" belts than 2" belts, but the 2" seem to be safer. Go figure.

The other big issue is how the crotch belts connect. This is an issue because the camlock is already in a place where anything below it can be uncomfortable. The "formula" belts route the crotch belt through a ring on the lap belt and are secured by shoulder belt. The Schroth Hybrid has it secured by the lapbelt. Neither an issue with a 5pt or 7pt system that require the lower connector. The penalty for the Formula and Hybrid systems are they take more time to fasten.

Not discussed here is the 9pt, that has a 3" belt on the shoulder and a 2" belt above it, with the HANS device between the belts.

This is the Simpson 7pt 2" SFI 16.1 system, it is listed for $315:

Quick Reply: 6-Point Harness Recommendations