S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Aerodynamic efficiency

Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I would recommend a simple, manual push button, preferably on the steering wheel, to lower the spoiler for straight-line speed. And like the F-1 DRS system, a touch of the brakes would bring the spoiler back up. The driver makes the decision when a straight is straight enough for DRS. The liability exposure for a system like this would make it almost impossible to sell though.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Adjusting the wing without adjusting front downforce will leave the car unbalanced. Brake balance would also be affected differently at different speeds.

There are so many other aero projects that would have more effect. How efficient is your cooling system, a major source of drag and usually loss of front downforce? Or a front splitter with front diffusers? Or a rear diffuser? F1 and WTAC cars have concave rear diffusers starting in front of the rear axle.
You're right. I want(ed) to do it as kind of a technical proof of concept 'because I can' kind of a deal, and then if it worked I wanted to see if we could implement it on our time attack evo for actual performance gains.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
You're right. I want(ed) to do it as kind of a technical proof of concept 'because I can' kind of a deal, and then if it worked I wanted to see if we could implement it on our time attack evo for actual performance gains.
isn't active aero illegal in all time attack classes? the only time I've seen it legal is when its stock on a car
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
isn't active aero illegal in all time attack classes? the only time I've seen it legal is when its stock on a car
yes. At the moment
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
The two biggest things would be routing the cooling airflow (and maybe raising radiator pressure/temperature to allow a smaller unit) and creating a concave rear diffuser that started ahead of the rear wheel centerline. Both are not common ( the rear diffuser described outside WTAC, WEC, and WTAC), would work on an EVO, and would represent many challenges in fabrication and testing.

Last years winning WTAC, sort of Porsche 968, had computer controlled shocks: https://tractivesuspension.com/autos...petition-line/

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Moti has made a very cool setup on his Miata.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=5ADB8C99
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to restate my intended goal here. I want to achieve the same effects as a nascar wing. Which is to reduce drag at the same time reducing lift. But as stock cars are generally always at a constant speed, the benefits of a dynamic wing are null. A greater Angle of Attack at slow speeds should generate stagnant high pressure air behind the cabin; in turn, that should deflect the laminar (low pressure) air over the wing and behind the car. At higher speeds, the optimal AoA/drag will change. My idea is that the wing angle decrease with the as the pressure atop the wing increases. if the wing angle was to drop below optimal angle at a greater speed, the downward flow of the laminar airflow would create the vacuum/lift associated at the rear of the car. The aforementioned vacuum would allow the wing to increase its angle of attack until the pressure is equalized. Again I am not an engineer in fluid dynamics so if my logic is flawed, please enlighten me.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Aeromotions has done this before, and they seen some improvement.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
Aeromotions has done this before, and they seen some improvement.
I'd be curious how that happened. Wing has maybe a 7:1 drag:lift ratio. Given the limited downforce on a typical S2000 wing because it needs to be balanced by a usually modest front splitter and sometimes a rear diffuser that creates a low-pressure area behind the rear wheels, in effect like the wing, unloading the front wheels. Adding rear downforce at low speeds should create understeer.

The real trick is to increase front downforce. It is easy to increase rear downforce by using a greater angle of attack, a bigger wing, or a multi-plane wing. Increasing front downforce can be done with managing the cooling airflow, add diffusers to the front splitter, design, and size of the front splitter, and designing an effective rear diffuser that moves its low-pressure area in front of the rear wheel centerline. On F1 cars, the rear diffuser can account for over 40% of total downforce.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Be easier to have ground effect under body with shaped adjustable under tray/s

Quick Reply: Aerodynamic efficiency