S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Aftermarket Differentials

Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aftermarket Differentials

I use my car for the track and autox and I don't go to the strip for my 1/4 very often. Mainly I want a differential that will do me the best for autox and will be very strong against the abuse I tend to give to all my cars. I was pretty set on Quaife, but there are sooooo many options and soo many different styles (1 Way, 1.5 Way and 2 Way). And most diffs cost about the same price only a couple hundred from going a model up or down soo no biggie on price, jsut send me to the strongest and most performance oriented
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already have the upgraded Honda diff because yours is a 2005. Alot of the track guys I know who really race don't like the Quaif (and by extension the stock S2000 LSD) because when one wheel's in the air, the LSD doesn't work. Torsen Diff's require some kind of traction on both wheels to work. They like clutch type LSD's because they work whether both wheels are on the ground or not.

Did anyone determine whether the Comptech diff housing is still stronger then the upgraded S2000 stock Dif?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Sooo which aftermarket options do I have as far as differentials, to give me this better performance during autox and the track?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is pretty hard to make a recommendation for you if you cannot identify an actual problem with the stock part. What issue are you trying to address by replacing the stock differential?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM

MY stock one is messing up as we speak. I knew my differential was getting bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. I got my fluids changed and I had metal shavings collected adn the dealer told me my diff is about to go. But IMO I htink it is the gear adn pinion (If that sounds right?!?). I am now just going to hand;le EVERYTHING and jsut get a new differential while I am at it, I am getting Rick's 4.57R gears too. I got stronger axles and next is diff soo that is why I ask my fellow S2ki.com comunity and then after that MAYBE a carbon driveshaft HUGE MAYBE...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the problem is durability. OK, that's what Jerry was looking for.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM

Exactly, I need something that will give me a more advantageous stand point at autox, and at the same time I need durability. If anyone knows which type or brand of differential to get that would be great. Also, anyone know the difference between 1 Way, 1.5 Way and 2 Way?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is difficult to determine a more durable replacement without knowing why the unit failed in the first place. Common causes of differential failure include but are not limited to:

Failure to adhere to a proper maintenance schedule
Improper launch technique (extremely common)
Outright abuse (parking lot smokeshow donuts)
Drivetrain damage
Normal wear and tear

I cannot personally attest to the expected lifetimes of the different options on the market place, but some differential types require more service than others.

Of the four common differential types (open, clutch-pack, torsen, and vicous-coupling) the open requires the least amount of servicing. While open differentials are practically bullet proof from a design standpoint, the clutch-pack or torsen designs should provide better autocross performance. Clutch-pack differentials have a limited lifetime before the clutch plates need to be replaced. Kaaz, Spoon(actually a Kaaz in a different box) or any of the other clutch-type offerings would therefore require major service at somepoint in the future. Whether you would experience a failure before a stock torsen gave out is a question I cannot answer with certainty. Forget even looking at a quafie (viscous-coupling) for your application.

If you want more information on how differentials work, check out the following link:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
The end of the article includes some informative links if you would like to learn more.

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you, but maybe this information will be helpful to you.

If you want my entirely biased opinion, stick with the stock parts.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 PM

I need a differential that will support my turbo if that makes sense OEM just wasn't doing a good job and I wasn't helping the situation at all. Anyway, can you suggest some good differentials for autox and the track. I will take it from there. Thanks for the info awesome read.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdnissanz,Jul 19 2006, 12:52 PM
I htink it is the gear adn pinion (If that sounds right?!?).
That's something to think about. Maybe it's the ring and pinion thats going bad not the diff itself. The Torsen diff is just about as strong as anything out there.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Differentials