S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

aggressive alignment specs

Old 10-18-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aggressive alignment specs

I take my car to the track as much as possible. I run stock wheels and victoracers front 225/50 rear 245/45. I use the UK alignment specs i.e. -1.0 degree camber in the front and - 2.0 in the rear. I still get more outside wear on my tires and am considering adding more neg. camber. How does adding 1/2 degree more front and rear sound?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems reasonable - that's pretty much where most folks run. Some have used more front camber to combat understeer but that probably depends on style and modifications.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camber front -1.8* ... I could use more based on tire wear and temps.
camber rear -2.6* ... rear tire wear and temps at the track are perfect.

Caster 6* ... as much as possible.

total Toe front 0.0* right where i like it.
total Toe rear 0.06" (toe in measured in inches)

cross camber and cross caster 0.0
Old 10-18-2003, 04:03 PM

Dave, doesn't that much camber affect accel and braking quite noticably? I suppose the better cornering more than makes up for it?

Just curious because I've been thinking alot recently about endurance race strategy. There was a 12 hour one locally recently and the winners all were cambered very aggressively (GT3s) I tend to think that the more the weight is distributed to the rear, the more the front can be cambered without negative effect on braking. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2003, 05:12 PM

At the current settings i would say my braking and accel arent adversely affected. But then my brake system is no longer stock and i'm running race slicks only at the track with 9" x 18 rims up front and 10" x18 rims in the rear. Also, my forward to rear brake bias can be adjusted from inside the cockpit.

And yes the better cornering definetly makes up for any brake deficit the camber might cause.

I suppose more rear weight would allow you to run more rear brake bias. I rely on active aero to generate downforce in the rear and that lets me run much more rear brake bias than stock.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:14 PM
jzr

Rumors of aggressive front camber adversely affecting braking are greatly exaggerated. Total contact patch size changes very little with a camber increase, and if it makes the front's patch longer longitudinally, that can only help braking. See how much camber they run in F1?

A rearward weight bias such as exists in the GT3 and all rear-engined 911s is ideal for braking as compard to a front or mid-engined example, as with the weight transfer experienced under heavy braking the vehicle ends up with a more favorable final weight distribution between front and rear axles.

More camber up front Dave! I run -2 up front and close to -3 rear in my stock car. Wear is fine, the middles go first since I run high pressures on the street.

Cockpit adjustable bias - groovy!
Old 10-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah dave. I'm at -2.3 in front and -3.5 in back.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:25 PM

I would imagine that the primary affect camber has on tires, once its mostly dialed in, is tire temp across the width. Greater camber would increas the inside temp and with the increased temp you might expect increased grip upto a point.

Jason, your going to have to give it a whirl at Pahrump.

Sometime in the near future i'll be dropping the car another 1/2" or so and installing stiffer springs. That should be good for another .5* of camber all around. Got to get the car ready for OTC '04
Old 10-18-2003, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. So then running that much camber on the street I guess the only real disadvantage is the increased wear on the inner side from the more longitudinally oriented patch?
Old 10-18-2003, 05:36 PM

At my settings the rear wear is perfect. It would probably be fine with even more in the rear.

The fronts its harder to say. I do have wear on the inside but also on the outside as well. I suspect that what i realy need is reduced body roll. Thats why i'm considering stiffer springs and a lower stance.

Quick Reply: aggressive alignment specs