S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anybody run with "SpeedTrialUSA" ?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody run with "SpeedTrialUSA" ?

I was just looking for Willow Springs events and saw this association. I've done a bunch of Speedventures'/Redline Track Events'/Open track racing.................But never saw these guys before.

Anybody have any experience with them??
Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Terrible. I went once, thought it was just by chance that it ran so unorganized. Second time, still the same. I swear I'd rather not run than give them the money.

1st gripe: pre-tech. So isn't the point of doing pre-tech before the event to allow you to turn in the approval form and start running? Not with these guys, you still have to tech at the track and beware the line is super long so make sure you do it soon if you do run, or else you might miss your session being stuck in line. I had to almost yell to get them to just tech me first.

2nd gripe: time trial somehow ends up as a "race". Some guys really treat the advance group as a race group...but I was under the assumption that advance was just race like conditions, not an actual race. So a few guys won't really lift/let you by and it's a pain. Not to mention a lot of traffic but then again seems like a lot of groups are like that nowadays.

Bonus gripe: if you're in beginner group, they make you do some sort of "parade" where you run in a big pack, cars side by side, at like 20mph on the track. I think the idea was to give drivers a feel of how it's like to have cars all around you, race like condition? I'm not sure how I feel about this though, at turtle speed...

Just my thoughts/experiences.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 PM

I've run a lot with speed trial.
great for beginners who aren't familiar with track driving. their beginner group will take a newbie into a track fan with their beginner group coaching.
lowest prices i've seen.

I definitely recommend checking it out if you are a first timer or if you have first timer friends coming along. But if you are pretty advanced, you might want to pick an org. with more focus on advanced driving like speed ventures, i haven't even seen them run a beginner group last few times i looked. If you are into real amateur racing, try nasa, they have real racing wheel to wheel at most events.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by darylcha,Apr 1 2010, 03:36 PM
Terrible. I went once, thought it was just by chance that it ran so unorganized. Second time, still the same. I swear I'd rather not run than give them the money.

1st gripe: pre-tech. So isn't the point of doing pre-tech before the event to allow you to turn in the approval form and start running? Not with these guys, you still have to tech at the track and beware the line is super long so make sure you do it soon if you do run, or else you might miss your session being stuck in line. I had to almost yell to get them to just tech me first.

2nd gripe: time trial somehow ends up as a "race". Some guys really treat the advance group as a race group...but I was under the assumption that advance was just race like conditions, not an actual race. So a few guys won't really lift/let you by and it's a pain. Not to mention a lot of traffic but then again seems like a lot of groups are like that nowadays.

Bonus gripe: if you're in beginner group, they make you do some sort of "parade" where you run in a big pack, cars side by side, at like 20mph on the track. I think the idea was to give drivers a feel of how it's like to have cars all around you, race like condition? I'm not sure how I feel about this though, at turtle speed...

Just my thoughts/experiences.
Everything said here + more.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 PM

+1
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

yikes... 3 against 1 isn't that great.

I always run in the advanced groups as i'm an instructor. But overall this really sounds like a crappy organization to go out with. I'm glad i asked first. Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM

I have run with almost every HPDE group in California in the last 7 years. The gripes posted above about STUSA are mostly valid. A few years ago I blasted them on a couple of car boards and stopped attending their events. I went back about a year ago and Tommy has been really nice to me ever since, thanking me for giving them another chance.

The biggest gripe I agree with is that the pre-tech is a total waste of time, since you still have to get in the tech line at the event. I will go to thier events if they work out with my schedule, but I wouldn't say they are anywhere near the top of my favorite HPDE groups. #1 is Kailo's Open Track Racing.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 PM

don't go with STUSA, unless its really really really cheap and you have just absolutly nothing better to do, than wasting gas and tires. Run 4 maybe 5 if you lucky, sessions with traffic.

O and, 600whp race ready porsche/ viper etc etc will also be running in your group (advance or intermediate).

unless its free, otherwise i wouldn't go with STUSA again

their crew is just unbelievebly non-friendly and stupid.

I asked them for a extra session since a lot of people left after sunday afternoon, but it seems like they just can't give me a yes or no answer and kept asking me why I want to run a extra session (DUH!)

speedventures have no problem to do that, with common sense.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalAp2,Apr 2 2010, 01:05 PM
... and kept asking me why I want to run a extra session (DUH!)

speedventures have no problem to do that, with common sense.
lol what kind of car people on god's green earth needs to ask why more track time is good??????

...and i too have been at 3 seperate track events with speedventures where: If there's enough time and room in the afternoon they let you go back out.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^sometimes mixed group too , SV once let any blue, black, and red group guys run the last session since people are starting to leave and track was open

Quick Reply: Anybody run with "SpeedTrialUSA" ?