S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilOggi
I realize that this is an old thread but it is still relevant. In fact, I found the thread because I did a Google search for Harbor Freight trailer bearings.
I just bought my bearings in a local camping and trailer store in Hempstead, NY. They were certain they couldn't help me because Harbor Freight bearings are all metric and odd sizes, they said. The misinformation here is amazing.

The 52mm bearings mentioned above may be the correct ones for your car, but they will not fit the trailer. The hub isn't even 52mm in diameter. Also coming up in the search was a very handy and helpful website called etrailer.com. The question was asked and answered on the site and it turns out that the bearings are a standard SAE size and are generally available anywhere. The smaller and larger tire use the same hub and the same bearing.

It is L44643. The matching grease seal is 34823. You need 4 bearings and 2 grease seals. If the old ones are jammed in the hubs and you don't want to bother taking them apart, the entire hub assembly including bearings, seal, hub, lug nuts and hub cap comes as a kit (34822BX) for $26.95 per side. If the spindle stub is wrecked, the replacement (R104BT8) is $11.99. This is the address of the page: https://www.etrailer.com/question-11360.html

Glad to help out and a big "Hi!" to you all from the Solstice Forum.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to chime in just incase others found their way here looking for answers. The page you reference to is only suggesting parts for a particular hub and not the hub included with the Harbor Freight kit. Also 52mm isn't as large as you think, it's 2.047 inches or slightly larger than the L44643 bearing mentioned above. If all you're doing is replacing hub innards, then as far as I'm aware all HF trailers use bearing part #30205 which is 52mm. I'm not sure if this has changed since their revisions of several trailer models they sell. However, you should make note of the part numbers anyways when you disassemble the hub to remove the shipping grease to apply bearing grease. If you're replacing the entire hub, than you can replace it with one that'll fit on your spindle that uses more common bearing sizes if you prefer.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Since this has been resurrected: trailer bearings have a 12 month/12,000 mile service interval, whatever comes first. Few of us do this, of course, and we just keep driving. Bearings on new trailers are infamous for little or no lubrication. Takes an hour to service your trailer bearings. Low mileage? Clean them and if they're good do them every other year.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2017, 04:10 PM

I came across this thread when looking for a replacement dust cap for my HF trailer and figured I will post this once time and disappear (hence the user name).

Anyways, after a lot of searching and dealing with Harbor Freight mouth breathing employee's, I found the secret. You can order off their website (not sure if you can give your local HF the part # and have it shipped to the store?)

Item #28071 is a 3 pack of the dust caps, it's $4.99. I could not find a replacement dust cap to save my life. I tried using a Chevy cap from Autozone, but the cap is too rounded and doesn't have the clearance for the castle nut. I didn't have to look for a new dust cap until I decided to get new wheel bearings. Apparently, one was just a tad loose (didn't feel like it when re-installing) and I lost one on one of my road trips.

These wheel bearings are a perfect replacement for the HF hubs

Amazon Amazon

And these seals work perfect. I found a napa # (either this site or somewhere else) but the I.D. was too large and the seal was, essentially, useless as it wasn't riding on the spindle. But these ones are a perfect fit for the HF hubs.

Amazon Amazon

Hopefully this will help some poor soul in the future as they frantically search google trying to find these unicorn 52mm dust caps/seals/bearings. Feel free to send some good karma my way if this helped you.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by LilOggi
The 52mm bearings mentioned above may be the correct ones for your car, but they will not fit the trailer. The hub isn't even 52mm in diameter. Also coming up in the search was a very handy and helpful website called etrailer.com. The question was asked and answered on the site and it turns out that the bearings are a standard SAE size and are generally available anywhere. The smaller and larger tire use the same hub and the same bearing.

It is L44643. The matching grease seal is 34823. You need 4 bearings and 2 grease seals. If the old ones are jammed in the hubs and you don't want to bother taking them apart, the entire hub assembly including bearings, seal, hub, lug nuts and hub cap comes as a kit (34822BX) for $26.95 per side. If the spindle stub is wrecked, the replacement (R104BT8) is $11.99. This is the address of the page: https://www.etrailer.com/question-11360.html
The stock bearings, races, and seals are metric. I think the ones from etrailer will probably work, but the inner diameter is slightly too big (1inch instead of 25mm) and they don't even list an outer diameter. Also the answer references a 2000lb trailer, which Harborfreight doesn't sell (and never has AFAIK), and is worded as more of "this is probably the right one, you'll have to check" rather than "this is the right one". But since I still had the factory vaseline grease in my hubs, I removed my bearings (following these instructions for the inner bearing/seal) and took some photos. I think the etrailer bearings would probably work, but there might be a little bit more slop than using the correct bearings.

Here are some pictures of the stock bearings on my 1200lb Haulmaster. It's my understanding that the 1700lb version uses the same wheels, hubs, and bearings. The stock bearing has an inner diameter of 25mm and an outer diameter of 52mm. Stock bearing/race are 30205/P6. Stock seal is 30x52x10, but the aforementioned 30x52x7 is probably ok. I suspect the thickness is less important than the inner and outer diameters.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?-img_20170618_141233644.jpg   Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?-img_20170618_141314526.jpg   Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?-img_20170618_141414474.jpg  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay... I literally signed up for this forum to resurrect this dead thread because until all of these trailers are off the road, I feel that the information is still relevant and I have something to add to it. I recently had a bearing problem with one of the Haul Master trailers from Harbor Freight. Mine is the smaller one - part number 42708 (which is 40" X 49"), but I'm sure it would also work on the larger one - part number 42709 (which is 48" X 96"). Most of this information is already listed in this thread, but I'm going to consolidate it all together for people who need to repair, replace, or service the bearings on their Harbor Freight trailer. Chances are, someday I'm gonna need all this information again myself, so it's as much for me as it is for everyone else.

After copious amounts of research, I compiled the following information about the parts:

Bearing - 25mm X 52mm X 16.25mm
Seal - 30mm X 52mm X 10mm
Cap - 52mm O.D.

I had little trouble finding the correct part number for the bearing. It's listed all over this thread: 30205. The seal was another problem all together, though. I did eventually find an SKF part number that can be cross-referenced: 11643. The problem, though, is that while the bearing was easy to find, the seal seemed to be nowhere to be found. As I couldn't order one online and had to have one immediately, I found a suitable replacement for that seal. After looking at a bunch of specs, I discovered that seal number 11640 is very similar. Same OD, same ID... slightly different depth. Instead of 10mm, it's only 8mm tall. But, I bring it up because, I was able to find that one right away. Napa had both bearings and the shorter seal on-hand. I'm sure that a 10mm seal would've been more ideal, but if you've gotta get back on the road like I did, get that 11640. It seems to be a little more prevalent.

If you can order online and have some time to wait, there is a company call Xike that makes a kit containing two bearings and the correct seal. I found 'em on eBay for about twenty bucks. Not sure how great the quality is, but it can't be any worse than what Harbor Freight put on it from the beginning, can it?!

The cap is another issue entirely. If you lose one like I did, you're going to have to figure something out. Since no domestic manufacturers make 52mm bearing caps (to the best of my knowledge), your choices are to order from overseas, pay too much, and wait forever to receive it or to take another one and make it work. Roughly speaking, 52mm converted to standard measurements is roughly 2 3/64". If you try to use anything smaller than that, you're gonna lose it again. If you go with anything bigger, you're likely to not even be able to get the thing to seat.

The closest thing that I found was Dorman's 2 3/32" cap - part number 13977. It a little larger, but only about 3/64". I was able to get it to seat. It's not easy, but I promise you that it'll work. Just be patient and finesse it in place. A hammer and a screwdriver eventually convinced mine that it would fit. Can say for sure how things are gonna go when I try to remove this thing, though. Wish me luck with that, I guess.

That's all I've got. Hope this information helps...
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyWadd:
decepticondc5 (08-07-2018), Ricky_Flowers_ (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 06:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyWadd
Okay... I literally signed up for this forum to resurrect this dead thread because until all of these trailers are off the road, I feel that the information is still relevant and I have something to add to it. I recently had a bearing problem with one of the Haul Master trailers from Harbor Freight. Mine is the smaller one - part number 42708 (which is 40" X 49"), but I'm sure it would also work on the larger one - part number 42709 (which is 48" X 96"). Most of this information is already listed in this thread, but I'm going to consolidate it all together for people who need to repair, replace, or service the bearings on their Harbor Freight trailer. Chances are, someday I'm gonna need all this information again myself, so it's as much for me as it is for everyone else.

After copious amounts of research, I compiled the following information about the parts:

Bearing - 25mm X 52mm X 16.25mm
Seal - 30mm X 52mm X 10mm
Cap - 52mm O.D.

I had little trouble finding the correct part number for the bearing. It's listed all over this thread: 30205. The seal was another problem all together, though. I did eventually find an SKF part number that can be cross-referenced: 11643. The problem, though, is that while the bearing was easy to find, the seal seemed to be nowhere to be found. As I couldn't order one online and had to have one immediately, I found a suitable replacement for that seal. After looking at a bunch of specs, I discovered that seal number 11640 is very similar. Same OD, same ID... slightly different depth. Instead of 10mm, it's only 8mm tall. But, I bring it up because, I was able to find that one right away. Napa had both bearings and the shorter seal on-hand. I'm sure that a 10mm seal would've been more ideal, but if you've gotta get back on the road like I did, get that 11640. It seems to be a little more prevalent.

If you can order online and have some time to wait, there is a company call Xike that makes a kit containing two bearings and the correct seal. I found 'em on eBay for about twenty bucks. Not sure how great the quality is, but it can't be any worse than what Harbor Freight put on it from the beginning, can it?!

The cap is another issue entirely. If you lose one like I did, you're going to have to figure something out. Since no domestic manufacturers make 52mm bearing caps (to the best of my knowledge), your choices are to order from overseas, pay too much, and wait forever to receive it or to take another one and make it work. Roughly speaking, 52mm converted to standard measurements is roughly 2 3/64". If you try to use anything smaller than that, you're gonna lose it again. If you go with anything bigger, you're likely to not even be able to get the thing to seat.

The closest thing that I found was Dorman's 2 3/32" cap - part number 13977. It a little larger, but only about 3/64". I was able to get it to seat. It's not easy, but I promise you that it'll work. Just be patient and finesse it in place. A hammer and a screwdriver eventually convinced mine that it would fit. Can say for sure how things are gonna go when I try to remove this thing, though. Wish me luck with that, I guess.

That's all I've got. Hope this information helps...
I'm in the process of overhauling my 49"x40" HF trailer right now, so imagine my surprise when this ancient thread is bumped containing exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks man!

Now, I just need a wiring kit (probably gonna have to source that from HF directly) and I'm set!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You bet, brother. Let me know if you have any questions...
Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 AM

In the tradition of resurrecting this thread every few months...

Anyone have a model number for an actual replacement hub for the HF folding trailer (90154 GVWR-1450) instead of just bearings/seals? I need to replace the whole thing and can't find something I'm sure is exactly correct.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 PM

I have been in annoyingly constant contact with HFT and the hub number is 62666. Bad news is they are on 10-12 week backorder. I'm going to try to save my old hub and just buy the 30205 bearings with new dust seals.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Sorry I lied. 62666 is the new number for their NEW trailers. I bought mine circa 2014 and the part number was 90154 (like yours). They also said, about 62666, that the hub for that trailer SHOULD fit. Not real confidence inspiring. I think I'm going to reassess the damage to the hub and try to get by with 2 new bearings and a new dust seal.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?