S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross B Street "Coilovers"

Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Autocross B Street "Coilovers"

I bought my s2k with coilovers already installed. If I replace the springs with stock springs, can I use the adjustable shocks that are on it now and be class legal?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Per Section 13.5 in the Street Category, the dampers will need to be no more than 2 adjustments and the perches must be in the same location as the OEM perches in relation to the hub. There are more details on limitations that apply, but I doubt that the coilover will violate those.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM

That language is a little confusing to me. Do they mean 2 valve adjustments, or 2 total adjustments including the ability to adjust ride height and preload? The coilovers on my car are Function and Form Type 2. I have 3 stock springs already so if I could just locate a 4th I could run in B Street class.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jflies
That language is a little confusing to me. Do they mean 2 valve adjustments, or 2 total adjustments including the ability to adjust ride height and preload? The coilovers on my car are Function and Form Type 2. I have 3 stock springs already so if I could just locate a 4th I could run in B Street class.
They mean 2 adjustments as in rebound and compression. You need to be sitting at stock ride height, hence the requirement for spring perch location and stock springs.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Ok got it. Thanks!

Do you think the shocks from a relatively cheap ($750) set of coilovers are going to be worse than the stock ones? I'm wondering if I'd be better off finding stock coilovers.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Community Organizer

I don't know anything about those coilovers, so I can't say for certain, but it is possible they'll be fine. What is the rate of the springs that came with them?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:39 PM

They are SUPPOSED to be 12k/10k front/rear, but they feel way too soft for that... I have much body roll.

Ugh I just realized that my aftermarket mirrors might be a problem with street class too. The rules make mention of the center mirror, but not side mirrors specifically. Can I make the argument that the aftermarket mirrors "do not materially affect weight"?

Last edited by jflies; 10-03-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: More to add
Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Community Organizer

I would say give them a try before you spend additional money purchasing a set of OEM dampers (unless you're going to buy used which can be had for pretty cheap). Realistically, I doubt anyone would put forward a protest about your mirrors at a local event, though I wouldn't put it past anyone at something like nationals. As far as arguments for the mirrors, I don't see what argument you could make in favor of it; it's not significant, but the rules follow the lines that if something isn't stated in the rules, then it is considered against the rules.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the help, Fokker. I've emailed the local autocross clubs to see what they think about me competing just at a local level with the mirrors. If I get a positive response, then I'll replace the springs in the coilovers and give it a try.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jflies
Thanks for the help, Fokker. I've emailed the local autocross clubs to see what they think about me competing just at a local level with the mirrors. If I get a positive response, then I'll replace the springs in the coilovers and give it a try.
You're welcome. Good luck with the setup.

Quick Reply: Autocross B Street "Coilovers"