S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Battery recommendations?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gen2gsr
I can take pics of my charger + accessories when I get home. What you would need in addition is a 12v DC power source like a laptop power supply and the 5 wire balance plug that mates with the shorai.
If you have your shorai already, your best bet is to search google maps for nearby hobby stores that sell electric rc planes, since planes often use 4 cell lithium packs with 5 wire balance plugs. Then you can use that balance plug with a volt meter and periodically check the voltage in each cell.
You dont HAVE to balance charge for longevity, you mainly want to verify that the cells are staying somewhat matched. If one cell does start to stray in voltage from the flock, THEN you need the balance charger.
Hmmm can I borrow your charger at the next event? I'm sure my battery is a bit off.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
- leave a OBDII bluetooth device plugged in over night - drains battery but would start next day. took me a few days to realize I shouldn't do that.. .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/v1-5-ELM327-...-/140719021117
Ho-ly crap I am glad you mentioned that, because I literally JUST put in my new Deka battery and left that damn Bluetooth OBD2 thing plugged in tonight. Just ran and unplugged it. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic of my charger and all accessories. Chargers under $40 generally do not come with AC adapter. The included breadboard (board with a bunch of white plugs) may or may not mate with the corresponding balance lead for the shorai; but i already mentioned that lead needs to be sourced.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 PM
TWF

Originally Posted by gen2gsr
The included breadboard (board with a bunch of white plugs) may or may not mate with the corresponding balance lead for the shorai; but i already mentioned that lead needs to be sourced.
That breadboard plugs in to your charger, right? If so you would still need cable from it to shorai battery.
Here is shorai port.

Name:  IMG_0387_zps24b4be33.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...-tray-package/

Here is a great newly released mounting setup package for the Shorai 36!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much does the OEM battery weigh?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
How much does the OEM battery weigh?
You should also take out the battery stand and bolts. They save 1.8 lbs.

I bought a Ballistic 16 Cell HD battery. It weighs 3.5 lbs. I mounted it on it's side to lower the center of gravity even more . If you remove the battery stand, you can still use the oem battery tie down. I cut and bent the 2 threaded posts that mount to the top of the tie down. There are holes that you can use under the battery stand to mount it. Super weight savings and clean install. I also used really sticky double sided tape on the bottom of the battery and underneath the tie down to help hold it in place and protect it. With the battery only being 3.5 lbs. I really didn't even need the tie down because the tape was so strong. I don't recommend running without the tie down though.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Lithium Iron battery and Kinetic Custom Machine battery tray:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...-tray-package/

This arrived today and I got it installed. The tray is beautifully designed and incredibly well built. It really is one of those parts that feels like the high quality motorsports goodness you see on works race cars. Excellent instructions included explaining the ins and outs of the battery, and detailing each part of the very straightforward install. Really impressed by the quality of everything, even down to the hardware. I had been planning on picking up this battery after seeing many other s2ki members use it for extended periods with no issues, and was going to look into have a custom tray made, and this one was already being developed.

Here is the current battery:

And the Shorai:

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

^ That set up looks really nice.

I ended up getting a Battery Tender branded Lithium from amazon in pinch before going down to the dragon this past weekend. I have it mounted with a Braille tie down and I used the terminal adapters from my old Deka with nuts underneath to hold them on. Its a smaller, cheaper one so, I think its something like 360CCA / 2.5lbs but it worked great at the dragon this weekend with lots of back to back starts and has a 3 year warranty. I'm happy with it so far.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 AM

Default battery mount

I know im a little late but I want to know where I can buy this battery mount at... I tried looking up Kenitic Custom Machine with no luck. Did they go out of business?

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?