S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Bushing Replacement Advice

Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushing Replacement Advice

Hi guys,

I'm getting read for the upcoming season and since the car (MY06 AP2) is approaching 100k, I wanted to replace some of the stock bushings that are showing their age. I won't do them all at once, so this will be a drawn out process, with the priority being the compliance bushings. While I have the control arms out, I plan on replacing the other LCA bushings as well. So, for the front I plan on upgrading the compliance, lower wishbone, and shock bushings. The car is all stock, if that makes a difference.

I've done considerable amount of research, but wanted to get some advice from the community. The idea was to get PowerFlex Race bushings, but it's a dual purpose track/street car, so NVH is somewhat of a concern, and I was thinking that sticking 95A polyurethane everywhere may not be the best idea. Is there some places I'm better off going with rubber bushings? I noticed Hardrace had a selection of various bushings; has anybody used those? How about ES?

Also, my motor mounts have signs of cracking on the rubber and I would like to reduce the drivetrain slop as well. Should I just go OEM replacements for the mounts, or are there aftermarket options that won't rattle my teeth out? What diff cradle mounts/bushings/collar combinations work best? Any recommendations?

I know this is a lot of questions in one thread, so please feel free to chime in on any aspect of it. First hand experience would be great, but all opinions are welcomed.

Thank you,
Adam.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Energy suspension bushings are decent that's what I have. And as for doing it slowly your better off doing them all at once. The energy suspension comes as a front and rear kit. The reason you want to do them at one time is alignments which enles you can get them for free or do them yourself could add 400 to the over all bill (100 each time if you do front lower then upper then rear lower then rear upper plus the rear toe arm)
Old 03-04-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am doing my bushings as well. I have made all the right dies and cups to do them at home with a screw style press. The rest of the bushings i just know out with a air hammer with a chisel attachment.

I believe that with these tools you can finish the entire job in one long day 8-10 hours including taping zerk fittings.

I will post some pics of the dies that i have made.

The front lower bushings if you go with the powerflex you will need to either burn out and take out the sleeve or use a chisel and knock it out. With the air hammer it takes about 15-20 mins per bushing.

The compliance is easy if you have a press.

I went with powerflex and they currently have 2 different designs. Some of them had a knurled inside which is suppose to hold grease better and not squeak. The old one is just smooth in the middle. I have had my power flex compliance for 4 years and no issues

I am not sure if the shock one is needed as it doesnt go through that wide of a range of motion.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Spoon bushings this summer and I'm really happy with them. ES rear diff mounts were a good choice as well. I installed Innovative engine/trans mounts and there is a lot of idle vibration, but it doesn't bother me. Between the engine mounts and the diff mounts it fixed the movement I was experiencing at track days.

My previous experience on other cars with polyurethane bushings was that they needed to be lubed and maintained almost yearly or they made noise and bound up or cracked.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the prothane diff bushings and believe them to be the best dispite some instalation challenges. There was almost no increase in noie and vibration. The compliance bushings from them are also great but the upper control arm bushings front and rear are terible fitting. My full very detailed write up is in "Modifications and Parts" For engine mounts i have megan/hard race. They work fine but the added vibration is difficult to ignore at red lights.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Buy the spoon complete set. Better than oem and last as long. Everything else is rough
Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I will definitely go with PowerFlex for the compliance bushings, and may just do ES everywhere else. Need to look into those spoon mounts, or go new oem if budget doesn't allow. For the diff, does anybody have experience with this product, and is it too excessive?

https://www.innovativemounts.com/Pro...ductCode=90755

Also, the car gets realigned multiple times a year as I try different set-ups, so I can time the bushing changes around them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out this article:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...of-Squish.aspx

The spherical suspension bushing kit is overkill for what you're looking for, but the article also has some info on Hasport rear diff mounts.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Question for those with the ES diff mounts. 2 of the larger mounts have a lip on each side, did you grind the lip down on one side to make it easier to press in the bushings? I called ES and they said there's no mention of it in the instructions so I can probably just press them in w/ the lip, but I'm concerned it'll tear up the bushing. I'm inclined to grind down the lip unless you guys installed them successfully w/o doing so. Here's a picture of 1 of the mounts:

Old 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...__hl__prothane

Read my shit. I used a hammer to bevel it.

Quick Reply: Bushing Replacement Advice