S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Buying a RaceCar - Testing the Waters

Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Buying a RaceCar - Testing the Waters

I really want to get it to a track prepped car for racing next season. I have nice car now that I don't want to gut and strip thus ruin the car.

Looking for a good build, with good cage, halon system, chassis mods......... for me the key is passing inspection an safety equipment.

So budget I would have a $30-35K for a clean car with some pedigree.

Does this sound like a reasonable offer and what are the changes to buy a nice car?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Racing, racing or casual track?

What organization / series and class do you plan on running?

What chassis / drivetrain are you looking at?

You could buy full prepped Spec Miatas for that all day. Or a Spec Racer Ford.

If you have regional SCCA IT classes that are well populated, there have been ITR S2000s for sale in the $15k range.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Former Moderator

(And some would say that gutting and caging isn't ruining the car at all!)

But it's cheaper to buy someone else's build.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
Racing, racing or casual track?

What organization / series and class do you plan on running?

What chassis / drivetrain are you looking at?

You could buy full prepped Spec Miatas for that all day. Or a Spec Racer Ford.

If you have regional SCCA IT classes that are well populated, there have been ITR S2000s for sale in the $15k range.
Dont have enough knowledge of the sport to say what seires, class..... However my goal was to start NASA Time Trials them move on to a series. SCCA has a much to offer but from what i have read and seen it is not for me. I plan to meet up with some people at some upcoming NASA events and see what I can learn.

My chassis is an S2000, this is being based purely on familiarity. I know the in's and outs of the car for the problem is time. If i worked 8-5 then i would build my own car no question. To be honest i will be luck to compete in more than 4-5 races but i want to start driving competitively.

My guess is that I will have to buy a beater and send it to a the shop to build the chassis and take it from there but if I was lucky enough to buy a car it would save be able to race next year not 2015 or beyond.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im selling a full caged track s2k for about 25k(build cost was over 50k).... it has a brand new tuned engine... if you're serious please pm me
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
(And some would say that gutting and caging isn't ruining the car at all!)

But it's cheaper to buy someone else's build.
Yes and Yes.

The car I am running now is super clean so to gut and cage it would be a shame.

At this point I plan to sell my C6 Z06 and roll the money into a trailer, racecar, tires and parts for the first season of racing.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisMyS
So budget I would have a $30-35K for a clean car with some pedigree.

Does this sound like a reasonable offer and what are the changes to buy a nice car?
This may be an obvious question, but just want to ask: Is that $30-35k cash or financing? The reason I ask is that if you are buying a non-road legal car you typically need standard insurance on it for financing (which won't work). Even then, financing a race car is just not a good idea in general so cash will be the way to go.

I see you mentioned TT's. You can do that without turning a car into a full race car. That would allow you to build the car more slowly and still allow it to be street compliant for some time. Don't forget to budget all the other pieces if you don't have them yet like driver safety equipment, towing vehicle, trailer, storage if you cannot store the trailer at your house (I know some neighborhoods like mine disallow trailers unless they are in a garage), spare wheels/tires, etc..
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ringo14
im selling a full caged track s2k for about 25k(build cost was over 50k).... it has a brand new tuned engine... if you're serious please pm me
I will shoot you a PM and we can talk.

Originally Posted by Mahjik
This may be an obvious question, but just want to ask: Is that $30-35k cash or financing? The reason I ask is that if you are buying a non-road legal car you typically need standard insurance on it for financing (which won't work). Even then, financing a race car is just not a good idea in general so cash will be the way to go.

I see you mentioned TT's. You can do that without turning a car into a full race car. That would allow you to build the car more slowly and still allow it to be street compliant for some time. Don't forget to budget all the other pieces if you don't have them yet like driver safety equipment, towing vehicle, trailer, storage if you cannot store the trailer at your house (I know some neighborhoods like mine disallow trailers unless they are in a garage), spare wheels/tires, etc..
Great points!

Cash, just like you said I don't know anyone that would finance something like that. I have land so the trailer is no issue, I do have a tow vehicle and I have plenty of room in the garage.

The remainder of the money was divided into:

$5,500 - Kwikload or Other Open Alum Trailer
$1,500 - Alignment equipment and scales
$1,600 - Fire Suit, Hans, Full Face
$2,500 - (2) Sets of Tires
$1,000 - Spare Parts
$3,000 - Changes to the Car

As for TT you hit the nail on the head, the fact that the car does not have to be modified that is exactly why I choose it. If I can't find a car I can still compete in my current one. I will not be competitive with a street trimmed car or full caged car but I can at least cut my teeth in NASA. If I have my preference it would be to race in the car I would eventually move into a door to door class with.

I am not some kid repeating internet garbage this I am completely serious and respect the input from the guru's here on the boards. Unfortunately, no one I know races or has raced so I am kinda feeling this one out solo, well other than you guys....... I read hours at a time trying to soak up the information here and hopefully actually apply it. So far my lap times are falling quickly and I have learned much about reading and setting up the cars. So it's time to move on and take the big plunge and I am very excited to do so!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good list. Outside of the car, I would recommend budgeting around $1000 for the suit and around $600 for the helmet. On the suit, the cheaper the suit, the heavier/hotter/stiffer it is.. You can go cheaper on the helmet, but the helmet will be heavier. A lighter helmet is always desirable. I would recommend having a budget of around $2000-2500 for your safety equipment.

You might see if this one is also still for sale:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/976...2000-in-texas/
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Former Moderator

I would do skip barber 3-day race school and get your SCCA Race License. With that, you can get reciprocity in NASA and go straight to TT or whatever HPDE level you like.

Don't write off SCCA totally. It's very dependent on your local region. There are regional "IT" classes that are very grassroots friendly and don't have all the bile and nit pickiness of National events.

You can buy a reasonably prepped spec Miata for $15k complete.

Quick Reply: Buying a RaceCar - Testing the Waters