S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

cooling add on's for Occasional HPDE w/ turbo

Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaf1,Aug 19 2009, 11:44 AM
could you explain how this is a high pressure area. i've seen many race cars use shims to raise the back of the hood up (same as removing the rubber strip). i guess the principle is the same as cal-hood.
we call that "rice"

but at low speed (under 20mph), it probably helps to exhaust air out of it, if fans are on.

if you look at drag car, that's a common area for induction. it sucks in air. not the other way around.

pretty good aero basic here. even though drawing is a little first grader.
http://www.superhachi.com/theory/downforce/
Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guys...with cold weather approaching and what Ive learned from this thread I will wait till spring and spend the winter months doing more research. thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 AM

thanks for the link, i'll read up on it.

i also found this link which has some good info also.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100489

Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think hood is tilted because thats the only way it will fit with his new swap.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks more like hood spacers to me. creates an effect where air gets sucked into theengine bay at the base of teh windsheild.

turbo produces a lot of heat. heats the oil, heats the engine bay. most s2k guys that run there turbo s2k on teh track suffer from overheating, both water and oil.

it doesnt help either that a fmic is reducing airflow to the radiator.

i have never done it, but i would presume, low boost setup, smaller then usual fmic, oil cooler will give you best chance to handle the rigors of hpde.

vented hoods may help, who knows. you really want air flow thru the engine bay. not just haphazzrd holes here and there.

again, your biggest problem is the giant heat creating turbo. search this forum, i think at least one or two guys had success with turbo and road racing. funny though, at best a handful have succedded, but a lot more have failed at it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 AM

so ive been doing some additional research and no doubt feel that the list i made is good, but im concerned the enviromental factors and additional complexity will cause additional unessesary degredation on overall reliability. The primary culpret of this seems to be between the oil cooler and winter temps. I know a tstat will resolve this but it seems a lot of folks have had oil cooler issues in the winter. so for now until i get a deep understanding of this im just venting the hood and doing a new radiator. from there i will monitor my temps and if need be will add the oil cooler next summer with a tstat.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think the turbo blanket would reduce underhood temps considerably as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM

Bump, as I'm interested.

From my research, the biggest factors in reducing under-hood temps will be to cover the manifold, turbo, and downpipe.

Additionally, it would seem that oil and coolant temperatures are the culprits of any major failures, and that carefully monitoring them would be key.

Are you running oil and coolant temperature probe/gauges?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So based off current discussions...best things to do would be to coat the manifold, turbo, and downpipe, oil cooler, vented hood, turbo blanket, radiator, and cooling mods

Probably would be best to go with a v mount set up.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 PM

this is the route I'm going only thing is a turbo blanket won't fit with the Full Race kit. But as it's been suggested on this forum, I'm going to take it step by step adding the components on an add needed basis starting with wrapping/coating and a radiator. I will update the thread as things develope.

Quick Reply: cooling add on's for Occasional HPDE w/ turbo