S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

CoolShirt

Old 06-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CoolShirt

I’m in dire need of some driver cooling here in Texas. I bought a 12qt CoolShirt kit but there isn’t a good place to install.

Does anybody have some photos or suggestions on a CoolShirt or FAST install in an S2000? I put in some eye bolts in the trunk, thinking it would be good enough but really it needs holding on four sides not just two. Matters made worse by the spare tire well being a bowl, the passenger floor pan being quite uneven, and the rest of the car is covered in roll structure.

Im going to explore powering the system with the defroster button. It is not used, protected by a 20A fuse, and has a pigtail near the middle of the car.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the trunk?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM

I've edited my post. I typed it on my phone and had some spell correction.

Anyhow, the trunk is bowl shaped and the cooler is rectangle. As best I can tell, it either needs four eye bolts or a flat subfloor added with edges. The two eye bolts I've added allow more movement than I'd prefer.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

put it on a planted passenger seat mount
Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
put it on a planted passenger seat mount
In theory that would provide a flat base where one could drill holes indiscriminately. Not that the passenger seat offers much room in an S2000 with a roll bar and fixed seat, but that definitely makes the passenger space unusable. I, for one, enjoy offering ride-alongs and relish the opportunity to have a seasoned driver in the car with me.

I don't know if Planted has improved their template since 2016 but I owned a passenger base briefly and returned it immediately due to misaligned holes and miscalculated bends.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got mine mounted where a passenger seat should go.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
I've got mine mounted where a passenger seat should go.
On a seat base like a Planted, on a custom bracket where the seat mounts, or bolted to the floor somewhere?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My CoolSuit cooler (same size) was mounted in the passenger seat area too using their mounting tray:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...?Product=CS500
Old 06-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Just make sure it is solidly mounted...multiple Gs. The last thing you need is that breaking loose or opening in a violent crash or roll.

Did you also get air/cooling/drink tube for your helmet?

Start video at 1:51

Old 06-08-2018, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Just make sure it is solidly mounted...multiple Gs. The last thing you need is that breaking loose or opening in a violent crash or roll.

Did you also get air/cooling/drink tube for your helmet?

Start video at 1:51

https://youtu.be/M1NY86Ustks?t=1m51s
Yikes!

Here is my amateur failure analysis:
The mount in the video is a custom piece made from some sort of sheet metal- bent then assembled with rivets. The choice of sheet metal made it easy for a basic garage to cut, bend, and assemble the structure but, in my opinion, is not up to the task of crash safety. The crash caused the wall of the tray near the driver to bend outwards and the belt passages to shear. The user utilized all four strap passages on the cooler (two on the side and two on the bottom) by wrapping the strap around the cooler which caused the straps to "float" the cooler in the tray. The responsibility of retaining the cooler was provided by the sheet metal tray and the 1"x~1/4" material at the top of each tray edge.

CoolSuit's tray is 1/8" steel and the strap passages are reinforced. The old package contained lashing straps, the new velcro straps, but either utilize straps that pull the cooler downward toward the tray. The recommended install utilizes their tray, secured to the body, and their straps, which secure the cooler to the tray. CoolSuit also provides convoluted instructions describing how a custom install could use all four strap passages and a ratcheting strap anchored to the body.

I am paranoid that any safety work I've done isn't good enough. That goes for belt anchors, seat height relative to roll bar, and that goes for the CoolSuit cooler mounts. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the work is good aside crashing or following in the steps of others who have crashed or tested. My belt anchors through the floor pan exceed FIA's required plate surface area (but I plan to redo them and round all corners of my 3"x4" plates), my head is right at the helmet plane as defined by BMWCCA (but I plan to lower my seat and shoot for the required 2" below), and my cooler is sitting in a CoolSuit tray and strapped to the floor pan via floor plan seat belt anchors (but I plan to secure the tray to the chassis and strap the cooler to the chassis).

The floor pan in the S2000 is flexible sheet metal, like much of the underbody. A belt anchor through the floor will distort the floor, but using the tray as a base reinforces the floor and reduces deflection. I will probably have a subfloor welded in to reinforce the trunk floor pan and provide a solid base to mount the tray. Not that one should depend upon this, but a 12-quart cooler shouldn't be able to pass from the trunk to the passenger compartment.

I've read a lot of recommendations for not just the basic shirt but the hooded shirt. It adds another $100, but cooling one's head is equally if not more important than the body. Unfortunately my local source only had the basic shirt so I'll start there and expand my collection.

Hooded shirt:

Quick Reply: CoolShirt