S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which is the correct lap time?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Which is the correct lap time?

Like many of you, I use Harry's Lap Timer at open lapping sessions. I also use a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 camera linked to an OBDII over bluetooth to record video. The VIRB solution sometimes records faster lap times than Harry's - typically a few tenths. Harry's relies on the phone's GPS which updates about 1Hz. The VIRB has its own GPS and is rated at up to 10Hz. So on the surface it seems like the VIRB should be more accurate.

Below is a screenshot showing how they differ. I obviously prefer the VIRB time as it's typically faster. But I'm curious if any of you have used the VIRB and compared it to a more precise system such as Racelogic or equivalent.

BTW, they both record the same peak speed at the end of the straight so otherwise correlate pretty well.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

The Garmin will be more accurate. I typically run both Harry’s and AIM Solo, and I always use the AIM Solo time (though in my case the AIM Solo is usually a tenth or so slower time).
Old 06-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

GPS refresh rate isn't the only factor, the quality of the chip also matters.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Harrys is more accurate. I use a AIM SOLO and the VIRB. The VIRB is only more accurate when you have the exact start point adjusted reference a accurate lap timer like the AIM SOLO. Without that reference it will slightly incorrect times, either too fast or too slow. I've tested Harrys against my aim and it is accurate within about half a second on an iPhone (1hz gps). Harrys is usually .2 or so off on most laps. It is dead accurate with a 10hz receiver though.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

They are likely using different maps, i.e. start/finish coordinates.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I've only ever compared a single lap, my fastest lap, with Harry's and my transponder times and the difference is usually just .002

Sorry, I have no experience with the Garmin or AIM SOLO.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
They are likely using different maps, i.e. start/finish coordinates.
I noticed that it's an imperfect process to select the start/finish line with VIRB Edit software as I can only see the camera's perspective looking out the front window so can't know when the car is actually on the line. I noticed that when I chose the start/finish line again the lap time changed by a few thousandths. So that's probably the explanation why. Perhaps the cumulative error in the GPS location for both Harry's and VIRB results in their respective start/finish lines being farther apart than it appears (almost 4 tenths)?

In terms of which one to use, from the small sample size in this thread it seems that both correlate well to other more precise solutions. Probably makes sense to use Harry's as I would expect it to correlate to others who use it. VIRB isn't as popular and has more variation.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an old beacon style lap timer. It will be more accurate than both HLT and the Garmin. See which one is correct.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you get through the corner before the start straight better at the beginning of the lap then moving the start/finish line toward that corner will shorten your lap time due to the higher speed on the straight.

If you get through the corner better at the end of your lap then moving the start/finish away from the corner will quicken the lap.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The midcorner speeds that Harrys displays are often wildly inaccurate. Useless as an analysis tool.

Quick Reply: Which is the correct lap time?