S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cracking rotors

Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracking rotors

From my past experience, every time I crack a rotor it's usualy after the session, and off track when brakes start cooling down, last track day when I was on the track, I Felt the vibration associated with driving on cracked rotor,I immediately pulled out of session and inspected rotors, but they were fine with no cracks, but it makes me think now, can you actually crack rotors while driving on the track? or it always happens when rotors are cooling down?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had that happen to me on cooldown but I dont see why it cant happen while driving. The fix for that buy a Racingbrake two piece rotor. Problem solved
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Both.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanRacing
I have only had that happen to me on cooldown but I dont see why it cant happen while driving. The fix for that buy a Racingbrake two piece rotor. Problem solved
I second this recommendation. I used to crack stock and generic rotors every track weekend. I lost a lot of track time changing rotors so I did some research and upgraded to RacingBrake two piece rotors and it was one of the best mods I've done to my car. I'm currently running the Accord caliper + RacingBrake NSX rotors and have zero issues with braking now.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
Originally Posted by BryanRacing' timestamp='1339512470' post='21775031
I second this recommendation. I used to crack stock and generic rotors every track weekend. I lost a lot of track time changing rotors so I did some research and upgraded to RacingBrake two piece rotors and it was one of the best mods I've done to my car. I'm currently running the Accord caliper + RacingBrake NSX rotors and have zero issues with braking now.
I disagree. I had a different experience with them. Cracked after three events.

I went back to just using plain rotors again.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM

When you crack a rotor while on the track, what are the symptoms other than vibration? how dangerous is it? can you lose your brakes suddenly?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Eric, were you running brake ducts? What brake pads were you using? I got 23 track days on my first set of RacingBrake rotors and I've yet to crack the 2nd and 3rd sets. I ran Carbotech XP10 & enduro and Cobalt XR2 pads on them.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
Eric, were you running brake ducts? What brake pads were you using? I got 23 track days on my first set of RacingBrake rotors and I've yet to crack the 2nd and 3rd sets. I ran Carbotech XP10 & enduro and Cobalt XR2 pads on them.
No I wasn't. I actually noticed the cracks while putting in brake ducts. I ran XP10 pads on them.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 AM

I cracked a rotor on track last friday at Circuit Mont Tremblant.
I must admit I ignored a little vibration and a little uneven left/right braking which should have given me a clue of what was coming.
The rotor verticaly cracked all the way and jammed in the caliper right at my braking point close to 100mph. It completely sheared the center hub part all the way around (wheel was spinning but not the disc). Lucky for me because a locked wheel would have been disastrous. I was left with one left brake and managed to save it and make the corner wide in the marbles. Epic sphincter moment...
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimSUPERFLY
I cracked a rotor on track last friday at Circuit Mont Tremblant.
I must admit I ignored a little vibration and a little uneven left/right braking which should have given me a clue of what was coming.
The rotor verticaly cracked all the way and jammed in the caliper right at my braking point close to 100mph. It completely sheared the center hub part all the way around (wheel was spinning but not the disc). Lucky for me because a locked wheel would have been disastrous. I was left with one left brake and managed to save it and make the corner wide in the marbles. Epic sphincter moment...
Wow!! That is scary! Glad you are ok!

Quick Reply: Cracking rotors