S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ECHC summary rookie year. :)

Old 11-11-2004, 07:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ECHC summary rookie year. :)

I am done with my first racing season. I raced my S2000 in the East Coast Honda Challenge. It is in H1, the fastest group and has the most racers. I think there were roughly 15 regular guys (when their shit didn't blow up).

My car never had a DNF. I won 3 races, finished 2nd 2 times and set two course records for Honda's (one of them I got DQ'd for passing under yellow but you can still see my time in the results...derp)....i started off slow but the car is pretty decent now....

I finished 2nd in overall points (they take your top 10 races). The guy who won may have won anyway, but he was smarter than me. He went to an out of region weekend when almost no one was going to be there and picked up 105 points each day. That made a huge difference. Smart for him, dumb for me.

Anyway..... thanks for all the help on my stupid questions through out the year and thanks to MAV for taking a video of my car before i bought it from the florida junk salesman...

Now that I have semi proven that I can drive and / or the S2000 is somewhat competitive.... how do I go about getting sponsors for next year? I am not sure what they provide other than cheaper parts? My car has been in 2 magazines (whopeee) so there is not much exposure. (besides me driving naked)

Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
FRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a pic of your S2K in the Dec. issue Honda Tuning magazine.

Did you have the chance to race wheel-to-wheel with James Evans?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 AM

I saw that little pic...i wanted a bigger pic...ahaha. I sucked at mid-ohio... i missed grid on saturday and started in the back...i finished 7th, but that sucked....

I think for 2004 James finished in 4th place in overall points. We were about 50/50 on who beat who. He beat me early in the year...then towards the end i was stronger and more reliable.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your series organizers should have made contingency arrangements with sponsors?!?! Slap on some stickers and watch the checks roll in!!

Congrats man, nice work!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Nov 17 2004, 11:49 AM
Your series organizers should have made contingency arrangements with sponsors?!?! Slap on some stickers and watch the checks roll in!!

Congrats man, nice work!
in 2004 i made........ $0.00.

I know there were some tire sponsors but they were for tires that generally don't win or don't fit my car ....hancook, kuhmo's (they fell apart early in the year)....

the only way to hope to win was on hoosiers and there were no sponsors / contingencies....

I was just hoping to get some free brake pads or something.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:56 PM
FRM

Originally Posted by Scot,Nov 17 2004, 06:00 AM
He beat me early in the year...then towards the end i was stronger and more reliable.
How does the S2K compare to the CRX?

What type of corners suit the S2K?

I noticed that you were very quick on some tracks.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:05 AM

Summit is my home course (if i had one)....I have the record by about .3 of a second over the next guy.... I psuedo have the record at VIR north also (but got dq'd for passing under yellow...but under the results you can see my time).....I was .3 faster than the next fastest guy there too.....

Pete Curpier and Chad Slagg both seem to have faster cars than James's CRX, but they both had reliability issues..... James had some reliability issues too....

I think the S2000 is pretty competive on the east coast. I think people have spent way more $ on the west coast. There is only one K series car on the east and he is still getting it settled in....

I honestly don't know where the s2000 is better other than braking.... in drag racing i generally get beat on the straights by the faster hybrids (they are putting out more hp and have 350lbs less to haul...but i have 6 speeds). even with the extra weight I can almost always outbrake everyone.

I don't think i go through the turns any faster or slower than the hybrids? my fatter tires and extra weight somehow seem about equal to the skinnier tires and less weight of the hybrids.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:48 PM
FRM

Originally Posted by Scot,Nov 18 2004, 08:05 AM
I honestly don't know where the s2000 is better other than braking.... in drag racing i generally get beat on the straights by the faster hybrids (they are putting out more hp and have 350lbs less to haul...but i have 6 speeds). even with the extra weight I can almost always outbrake everyone.

I don't think i go through the turns any faster or slower than the hybrids? my fatter tires and extra weight somehow seem about equal to the skinnier tires and less weight of the hybrids.
Very interesting.

The large rear wing should help under braking.

What is the weight and horsepower of your S2K?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 PM
FRM

Originally Posted by Scot,Nov 11 2004, 08:18 AM
... how do I go about getting sponsors for next year?
Try to get your car into more magazines.

Car&Driver BOOST may be interested in testing your S2K.

Contact Larry Webster - (734) 971-3600
Old 11-19-2004, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by FRM,Nov 18 2004, 10:48 PM
Very interesting.

The large rear wing should help under braking.

What is the weight and horsepower of your S2K?
car with me in it and half tank of gas (to start a race) is ~ 2650. I ended one race at 2603lbs. My minimum is 2600lbs.

I am not sure about the hp... the car did not dyno very well on a dyno pack (the kind that you take the wheels off and hook it up to each side).... even with a VAFC it only got 179hp..... but I think my gears (4.77's) messed it up.

Only engine mods are...FRM intak with a hole cut in the headlight for fresh air, no a/c compressor, VAFC and my stock header was running to a test pipe and that was it. For 2005 i have to run an exhaust since they are now enforcing sound limits more places.

the hybrids running B series had a 2200lb weight limit. Most guys were putting down 210-215hp to the wheels....which is about where mine should be...but they have 400lbs less to haul.... and potentially they are more aerodynamic.?

Quick Reply: ECHC summary rookie year. :)