S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   El Cheapo BBK F+R (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/el-cheapo-bbk-f-r-1129938/)

SlowTeg 07-28-2015 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth (Post 23695565)
Would I be correct in say in layman's terms that the above proposed brake setup out provide less stopping power than OEM?

Yes. This is only for track setups. Street driving will see no benefit.

Ansat527 07-28-2015 07:10 AM

I believe this setup, coupled with a brake bias regulator, could be a cheap, and effective brake setup, while retaining the OEM handbrake

SmokeyGatto 07-28-2015 08:28 AM

slowteg your a genius. Based on your calc, this kit doesnt have any increased brake torque. unless we start changing pad cof.

Would changing the front caliper to a willwood / stoptech increase the front brake torque?

thus giving us new issues with bias?

Ansat527 07-28-2015 08:35 AM

I haven't done any math on this kit, but I suppose the front kit will have more torque than the OEM setup, hence, you're increasing bias in the front, and reducing with the rear.

For me, this kit with a distribution valve, to increase rear bias again, you'll have a pretty capable setup for track, with good fade resistance properties, and a pretty good stopping power after adjusting the bias

//steve\\ 07-28-2015 11:55 AM

So given the cost of what it takes to pull this off why not just buy the new urge twonpiece rear rotors? They basically gave us a bolt on solution and I have a feeling in the end it'll be easier and cheaper than piecing this together via the method in the OP.

Ansat527 07-28-2015 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
So given the cost of what it takes to pull this off why not just buy the new urge twonpiece rear rotors? They basically gave us a bolt on solution and I have a feeling in the end it'll be easier and cheaper than piecing this together via the method in the OP.

Urge's isn't exactly plug and play as well, but easier to do, yes. But this one does have one big advantage for track regarding Urge's, which is increased cooling capability and fade resistance because of the larger and wider rotor. The Urge kit will be a lot lighter, though, that's for sure

Bullwings 07-28-2015 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ansat527 (Post 23695994)

Originally Posted by //steve\\

Urge's isn't exactly plug and play as well, but easier to do, yes. But this one does have one big advantage for track regarding Urge's, which is increased cooling capability and fade resistance because of the larger and wider rotor. The Urge kit will be a lot lighter, though, that's for sure

I have a feeling that Urge's a purpose built vented 2-piece rotor will have better heat and cooling capacities than the cast rotor rx-7 solution.

Paired with the ST-40 bbk up front, i think that's the cheaper, simpler, and equally if not more effective solution.

I'd much rather have the ST-40 kit up front for the cost.

Since this is a Japanese pieced together solution, my guess is that StopTech is probably more expensive for Japanese customers and not as widely available since it needs to be imported from US based StopTech - thus making the rx-8 solution cheaper. The ST-40 caliper is basically a replica of Porsche's front caliper from the 964 and 993 with some tweaks and added improvements (hence great pad availability). I also think that the two-piece rotor from StopTech also outshines the cast rotor solution up front.

I am of the opinion that current US options for US customers will be a cheaper, simpler, and an equally if not more effective solution than what is being proposed. I think that the proposed mix of rx-7/8 parts with custom brackets is more applicable to non-US based customers with limited access to aftermarket support.

SmokeyGatto 07-29-2015 03:43 AM

Hard to say, my last bbk was cayenne calipers for 400 bucks before they got popular, and ml55 rotors. Sometimes is all about find the eighth offset. It would prob be more fade resistant, but can we run abs with a proportional valve?

SlowTeg 07-29-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto (Post 23695722)
slowteg your a genius. Based on your calc, this kit doesnt have any increased brake torque. unless we start changing pad cof.

Would changing the front caliper to a willwood / stoptech increase the front brake torque?

thus giving us new issues with bias?

Definitely not a genius, just plugged some numbers into a calculator. :p

I honetsly don't know about the front setup. I'm quite busy lately with other stuff non-car related so don't have the time to plug in some figures for a different front setup.

Regarding whether a new proportioning valve is really needed.. I'd say that sounds like bigtime overkill. People on square setups tend to run staggered pads to begin with, so maybe you just run non-staggered pads and it'd be fine? I'm a believer in trying to get things ideal for the driver if possible, but past a certain point we aren't talking about a HUGE shift in brake bias, so perhaps some driver adaptation is another plausible solution..

SlowTeg 07-29-2015 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\ (Post 23695980)

Urge rear rotors are $700, and while vented, are smaller diameter AND thinner than the OEM rx7 rears. Also, you have to shave down the rear pads (if new) for them to fit the rotors.

Nice thing about the rx7 rears are thicker and larger diameter rotors (more heat capacity), no need to mess with shaving pads or swapping in worn ones and dirt cheap replacement parts. Ya I get that they're heavier but they're OEM rotors, so not a big deal to me. Cost wise we aren't talking a big difference either. Another $2-300 which is a drop in the bucket these days. Pad selection is decent but not great for the rx7 rears.

Like I said, I might have to look into this setup over the winter. Looks like it should be a good setup.