S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Experience with Mishimoto Radiator

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Mishimoto Radiator

I'm looking into increase radiator capacity. Mishimoto does not have any technical information or practical experience they want to talk about on the increased heat rejection from their S2000 radiators (2 row or 3 row) compared to stock. Appreciate feedback from people that track their AP2 on reductions in water temperatures you have experienced. I'm in Southern California so part of the racing year can be running in 95-100 F ambient temperature. If you are running a standard K&N intake I'd be interested in hearing if the new radiator with stock fan will still allow installation of the cool box section.

If you have experience with other companies S2000 replacements radiators I'd like to hear that also.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I am running a Megan Racing replacement which is functionally the same as all the other big aluminum radiators for the S2000. I have an AP2 as well and am in SoCal as well, and I can tell you that there is no reduction in base temperature at all since that is thermostat regulated, but the temp doesn't move. Ever.

I ran the 1st day with the big radiator at Buttonwillow with the S2000 challenge Arse-sweat-a-palooza (July 27th) where temps were over 100 all day and I never once ran the heater, never shorted a session and saw absolutely zero budge in engine water temp. Many other challenge competitors using OE radiators were running with the heater on, and doing half sessions by comparison. I have since also run S2KC at Autoclub on Aug 10th with it but it was a remarkably mild temp day so not much of a cooling system test.

I chose the Megan because after totaling up S2KC prize vouchers it was free, and I am happy with it but your experience with any other similar radiators should be the same.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running one with a stock airbox and stock hood. I was maintaining at 206*F at the last track day I attended with ~30min on track and ambient temps in the 90's. All stock for power except for test pipe/catback.

I run an F22C with approx 70% water/30% Honda type 2 and factory thermostat.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the input

anorexicpoodle. Mishimoto says they powder coat their radiators. This may slow the heat transfer from the aluminum fins a bit. Less if the powder coat is very thin. Do you have insight for the Megan radiator?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by willrask
Thanks for the input

anorexicpoodle. Mishimoto says they powder coat their radiators. This may slow the heat transfer from the aluminum fins a bit. Less if the powder coat is very thin. Do you have insight for the Megan radiator?
I did a mishimoto in mine years ago and went up to Road Atlanta for a race at over 100 degree ambient. Had done races there before with Stock radiator and had no issues. About 8 laps in water temps were steadily rising to the point I had to start short shifting to keep temps in check. I know Chi lost his motor from over heating on his Turbo S2000 with a Mishimoto. I won't touch em since. I just used the dual pass for the first time since putting the K24 in and with a 175 T-stat water temps sat right at 175 in over 100 degree heat all day. The Original Design of the radiator isn't the most efficient design and all the rads out there... Mishimoto, Koyo, Etc etc just keep the same silly design. I went and got a dual pass (vw scirocco style) made you can see my thread if you want to read about it. ---> https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/940...#entry22448141

Or I found these guys sell a radiator very similar to the one I got made. Difference is this one doesn't have the extra bungs for the fan swithces or a provision for fans.
http://www.rywire.com/catalog/s2000-radiator-p-113.html
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by willrask
Thanks for the input

The megan one appears to be bare aluminum. Not sure why anyone would powder coat a heat exchanger, since powder coat is a thermal barrier......
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM

I have an almost stock ap1 with the 2 row radiator. I was going to go with another brand but when I did a search it seems like all radiators have isses. So at least this one has warrenty. No heating issues so far, I'm in so cal and been to 3 track days. Ussed one of those cooling addatives.
A couple issues i had. When I installed it, the radiator fan bracket was off, so I had to bend it slightly. Radiator cap leaked so I emailed them and they sent me a new one. Checked after my last track day and the drain has a small leak. I'm guessing its from the o-ring. No big deal. Overall for the price i'm happy. Had it for about a year and a half.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some aftermarket radiators have issues with the cap, as well as sealing of the drain plug and fan switch. You should probably address those areas anyway, with which ever radiator you decide to go with. There is some info about this in some of the install threads. I have used Mishimoto's "limited lifetime" warranty once. Their customer service is top notch, they were very helpful, and replaced the radiator no questions asked. Good luck

---
Brandon
Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Helloive ben running their radiator since 2009 with my stock fans! I have a mugen vented hood and k&n fk intake! My gauge never moves from mid point! Never had. Prob with it and i can vouch that their sale and tech dept is friendly.

Also im in socal ive had this when i used to live in palm springs where during the summer temps can go up to 115 F, im now back in my native san diego 0 problems ith my radiator ive got about 30k miles on this mishi radiTor and 100k miles on my car.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running the Mishimoto 2 core rad since last year. Install was plug and play, with no problems. Have put on considerable track miles since. Haven't had any leaks from the drain plug, cap, or anything else. Temps rarely go past the 200*F mark.

Quick Reply: Experience with Mishimoto Radiator