S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

F24 stroker kit for race use

Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

This is going off memory not receipts but this is how I remember mine.

Engines....
Used engine #1 $900
Used engine #2 $400
Bran new block, crank, rods, pistons, machineshop work , bearings etc etc Engine #3 $4500
Engine number one Built 12:1 pistons Eagle Rods and Machine work $1500
Engine number two Built, Same pistons, added Carrilo Rods, new bearings Machine work $1900

Cylinder head
Ported TSX head with Ferrera Valves and Valve springs $2800

Tuning and dyno time $1000 (most recent)
Tuning and work hunting an issue $1700 (previous).

Cams
Kelford B's $800
Drag Cartel 4's with Custom VTC pulley $1300

Intake
Intake Manifold Adapter to use Stock Intake $200
Excessive manufacturing Kpro Manifold with velocity stacks and spacer $800
74mm Throttle body used $100ish

New Starter (from honda) the autozone one failed
New Alternator (from honda) the autozone one failed
New Water Pump from Honda
New Crank pulley (junk yard motor crank pulleys looked destroyed).

Injecotors and fuel rail.
550 cc injectors and inline pro Rail ($500 ish)
RDX injectors and Skunk rail ($400 ish).

Haltech ECU $1100

Engine mounts and brackets and adapter to OS Giken Clutch $1500

Headers
Custom Stainless headers header $1200
ASP custom header $1800

$400 in misc parts from one of the Kswap companies for Tstat housing and water outlet on the back of the head.

I'm sure theres more, but you can kinda get the idea.This doesn't even cover the nickle and dime stuff. For Instance I got sick of running to Ace every hour for nuts and bolts so I ordered an insane number of nuts and bolts from Honda just to make sure I had a huge stack to keep working when I worked on it. I think I spent $400 in nuts and bolts. I have enough spares to do this swap again 4 times. Also not included is gaskets and seals of which all were new each time I replaced the engine.

Now I must Delete this so my wife doesn't see it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrsideways:
Chibo (01-26-2019), kenstyle (11-28-2021)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL. Ya every time my wife sees a box on the doorstep you can que up the Whitney Houston song "I believe the children are our future....." Giving me this look like our kids are going to go hungry. It's why I moved away from the M3 and have loved Honda every since,

I appreciate all the great information. The F motor would not need an ECU as it has the AEM unit, assuming that would be good for any F motor build. But certainly curious to see the k24 results as there are guys in my series running the piss out of internally stock k motors and they are holding up multiple seasons ( say 20-30 sprints per season).
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Costs do add up...and a new engine build from scratch is probably going to take 4 to 8 weeks depending on the engine builders backlog. I'm not a big fan of building your own race engines (other than drag racing where the engine is 90% of the game). Few people have all the measuring tools, some suppliers only sell to engine builders, the engine builder has or has relationships with the necessary machine shops and other services, and the experience from building a few engines a month vs one every few years can avoid lots of errors.

But don't forget the cost of the break in and dyno of the motor if you want a dyno sheet. It also provides the opportunity to do the final tuning. There are classes of racing where the engine builder is making a similar engine for many cars running in the same class; this is a common oval track situation. However, in many ways this engine and its application are a one off and the problem is carb jets, emulsion tubes, and ignition timing but various maps of fuel and timing vs input parameters.

The coatings would add up, but the billet crank only adds $1000, custom pistons less than that. Sleeveing the block is an expense. But isn't this a car you are going to use for multiple events per year over a multi-year period? If so, is the one time upfront cost justified? What is the rest of the cost of the car? Is the engine coming out of the tire, suspension, or aero budget?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your replies are all over the charts......
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by f20kills
No...I'm pretty focused. The difference is knowing what the options and issues are.

Remember, someone could buy an ARCA or other late model stock car—tube frame chassis, 500hp engine, 3000lb with driver, safer and cheaper to run than any S2000—complete for under $20k used. Everything would be easier to work on and cheaper. 4 piston brakes with floating calipers all around; full selection of PFC and Hawke pads. Penske shocks for $1500-2500 set depending on options. All the plumbing, cooling, etc. issues worked out. It looks like they fit into a FARA class.

If you are going to build an engine the difference between fragile stock components and racing components is huge. The Honda forgings may be 1045, 5140, maybe 4130. The billet cranks are typically 4340; 300M, used for applications like aircraft landing gear, is way out of this budget. As are titanium rods; note that the Z06/Z28 LS7 has titanium rods. These are two articles you may find helpful: http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...ign_issues.htm, http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/pdfs/lawofthelongarm.pdf. A crankshaft breaking is very nasty. A rod or piston failure at the wrist pin is also pretty catastrophic. A valve can be, depending on how much damage it gets to do. I had one take out a piston which let the rod go through the block; shrapnel from the piston made its way into other cylinders damaging the head and their valves.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM

I'm pretty sure you said carb jets.......might as well buy a full motec exhaust.... lol

Your info is not directed to any 2.4 build experience. Not saying your info isn't true but it has nothing to do with his question about people with experience in a 2.4 motor.

Guaranteed a stock 2.2 is not fragile and will last a 4 hour race with proper cooling. It's not fragile
Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM

It might...stock engines running at stock power usually are pretty reliable. They are designed to go 150k miles while meeting emissions regulations.

However, racing is usually about demanding more. More power which usually is achieved with more revs. Lighter components to reduce inertia, which need alternative materials and designs to maintain strength.

Race engines are race engines. Many stock car classes use carbs because they are more limiting. I'm really not a fan; injection handles all of those issues while avoiding fuel sloshing issues.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 AM

Well let's not forget about brake fluid exfoliating. Not a fan but it's a must for near perfect skin tone and younger looking hands for when you put on your racing gloves.

Not it might..it will last. At this point you still bring up non relevant stuff. Who the heck uses carbs on a s2k??!!! Why are you talking stock car classes?

Anyway...I'm done. I think people pick up what's being put down here.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by f20kills' timestamp='1434556161' post='23651279
No...I'm pretty focused. The difference is knowing what the options and issues are.
Do you even read? Or do you just wait to type whatever response is in your head after someone posts, regardless of the content?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM

I just talked to an engine builder...and the lack of overlap on the strokers is an issue. Apparently there is enough flex that the strokers can have bearing issues if spun high. It is a crank stiffness issue (the modulus of elasticity is essentially the same for all steels and cast iron) and not failure (where yield strength becomes important). . That leaves it at 8500 and the K24 crank is adequate at that. At 8500rpm the valvetrain isn't much of an issue either, VTEC or not. The only other meaningful upgrade would be the cam...and then it is more of a 15hp upgrade if the wide powerband is to be maintained.

Beyond that, the cost of build is going to push $10k without a core. And can easily go to $11k-12k. As f20kills indicated, there is still an ECU and tuning for the ECU.

The person I spoke with anticipated a complete build would take 5-to-6 weeks. Adding shipping and tuning that would probably be 7-to-8 weeks.

Quick Reply: F24 stroker kit for race use