S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ferodo DS 1.11 / Pagid RS 29 / PFC08 / Endless MX72

Old 11-18-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ferodo DS 1.11 / Pagid RS 29 / PFC08 / Endless MX72

I'm looking to step up from Ferodo DS2500 pads. All in all they're very good. But IMO give a soft pedal feeling. Especially towards the end of long heavy braking.

Since my car doesn't see a real big track (no such thing here ) but used for hard canyons/mountains driving and some Auto-X - i need to consider other aspects than just hot braking on track.

I see in search that some guys here have been using DS 1.11 and RS29.
Could you share your impressions on them in general and especially comment on following areas:
1. brake rotor friendliness
2. cold[ish] braking (think 1st-2nd gear Auto-X)
3. amount of dust
4. dust cleaning easiness

Actually PFC 08 may also be a good option.

Many thanks !!!

P.S/ better vented rotors, air ducting and brake fluid are have been taken care already - so far no brake fading issues at all
Old 11-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been using Ferodo DS1.11 for about two years. They offer amazing stopping power and are very consistent .48 mu from 150-700 C (300 - 1300F).

I would not recommend them for use on streets though. You need them to be sufficiently hot to work properly. If they get too cool, they will be more abrasive and chew the pad material off the rotors. They won't stop well, and the 'dust' will actually be tiny iron filings rusting to your wheels.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Gennady,

The DS1.11, RS-29 and PFC08 are amazing pads for their intended use but unfortunately I wouldn't exactly call them "ideal" for your use. They can be used on the street safely but like will010100 mentioned, they will be very abrasive at street temps and will therefore eat the rotors faster than other pads. They will also dust like crazy and almost always make noise.

The magical pad you're looking for does exist but it isn't exactly inexpensive when compared to the DS2500 you're currently using (but to be fair the PFC and Pagid options aren't cheap for that car either). Take a look at the Endless MX72 and MXRS- I have been testing both recently and have been blown away with the versatility of both compounds. The MX72 compound is the original compound developed by Endless to fill the role of a true do it all/hybrid pad and has dominated that segment since it first became available. I have ~3,000 miles of firsthand experience with the MX72 ranging from daily driving to hard canyon runs and even some track time at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Sonoma Raceway in Northern California and in short they are fantastic in every situation. They feel like a DS2500 on steroids- friction levels are nice and linear like a DS2500 but the initial bite, overall friction levels feel ~10-15% stronger. Modulation is as good or better than the DS2500 and the rotor wear is roughly the same as well (both are pretty gentile). Perhaps most surprising is the dust (or lack thereof)- MX72 produces about half the dust of the DS2500 and it's non-corrosive and super easy to clean, seriously it's unbelievable when you consider the performance levels they offer

The MXRS is the newest hybrid pad from Endless. It's a derivative of the MX72 and it was designed with the same goals in mind but is a little more aggressive and works even better at higher temps at the cost of a little more dust on the street. I recently put a set of MXRS on my M3 to try (was running DS2500 on that car prior to the Endless pads) and am even more impressed for the type of use they see. I don't have as many miles on the MXRS as I do with the MX72 but so far it's been amazing driving these pads in the canyons- they feel very similar to the MX72 but with the volume turned up even more. On the street they have been silent like the MX72 but I have noticed more dust (closer to the amount of dust produced by the DS2500) but again, like the MX72 the dust is non-corrosive and very easy to clean.

-Matt M.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:45 PM

Thanks a lot for the input.
Enless is 2.5 times more expensive - which is a big factor to consider.
Do you think they give a significantly longer pad life?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes the price of admission has always been a difficult hurdle to get over for many people and applications. However, after running my first set of MX72 and now MXRS I'm a true believer in Endless' products and won't hesitate to spend the extra money for them again in the future. Yes they are more expensive but they both offer more than the DS2500. For a mixed type of use they provide a level of versatility that is unmatched by any other pad compound on the market today.

Its hard to give accurate feedback on pad life since the use can be so different from person to person. I can tell you that the set of MX72 we put on my fathers S4 currently have ~28,000 miles on them and the fronts still have ~30% pad life remaining (rears have ~70% left). To be fair he puts a lot of freeway miles on the car but he also tracks it occasionally and drives it aggressively in the canyons often. The car certainly isn't babied. Compared to the DS2500 I expect the MX72 to last longer and the MXRS to last the longest of the three with aggressive use, but exactly how much longer isn't certain. I will be taking the M3 to the track with the MXRS loaded in the calipers this winter to do some more testing with them at highly elevated temperatures.

-Matt M.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Matt, can the MX pads handle a 20 minute session without fade or falling apart?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

was curious about this as well. How do they compare to an HC800+ or CR pads?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the MX72 pads react well to swapping between OEM pads on the same rotors?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Matt, can the MX pads handle a 20 minute session without fade or falling apart?
Originally Posted by Bullwings
was curious about this as well. How do they compare to an HC800+ or CR pads?
I am absolutely confident that the MXRS will be fine during a 20 minute session on track but please understand that they are a street that happens to work well on track. If you know you're going to be aggressively tracking often you will get a little more life out of a more aggressive track pad (ME20 for example). The MX72 is fairly similar to an HC+800 in terms of objective performance BUT can do it producing less than half the dust and no noise on the street. The MXRS is a little more aggressive and should last longer than both the HC+800 and MX72 with very aggressive use (track time) but produces only slightly less dust than the HC+800 from my experience. The CRs are in a completely different category being a full track compound that happens to work fairly well on the street.

Originally Posted by robinson
Do the MX72 pads react well to swapping between OEM pads on the same rotors?
I have not had the opportunity to try that so I can't advise if the two compounds would play nice or create an issue.

-Matt M.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Eventually i've ordered from Matt a set of Endless MX72.
Boy those are not cheap
I hope they will last longer than DS2500 to justify this price.

Quick Reply: Ferodo DS 1.11 / Pagid RS 29 / PFC08 / Endless MX72