S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Track Day With New S2000 - Prep Evaluation

Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I am new to tracking my s2000 to the track. Never had any experience with tracking at all.
I thought I had everything all prepared and planned out to have my car track ready for my first track day at NJMP with SCDA
To my understanding, the s2000 complied with the SCDA's rules for convertibles (given that the broomstick test was passed) until reading this thread.

My question here is: Is it mandatory or a strong recommendation to have a roll bar to drive in SCDA events?

My main fear is to spend the money and time on bringing my car to the event only to not be able to drive it.

Thanks for the info in advance!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajjuhh
Hey, I am new to tracking my s2000 to the track. Never had any experience with tracking at all.
I thought I had everything all prepared and planned out to have my car track ready for my first track day at NJMP with SCDA
To my understanding, the s2000 complied with the SCDA's rules for convertibles (given that the broomstick test was passed) until reading this thread.

My question here is: Is it mandatory or a strong recommendation to have a roll bar to drive in SCDA events?

My main fear is to spend the money and time on bringing my car to the event only to not be able to drive it.

Thanks for the info in advance!
Have you tried a broomstick test? I can't imagine anyone being able to pass (with a helmet on) with stock seat and roll hoops. With a lowering seat shorter drivers might be able to pass, but it'd be tough. Even with an aftermarket roll bar and seats it can be tough for a lot of people.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, I guess that I'm the black sheep in the family. So newbies, take my advice with a grain of salt and at your own risk.

SCDA is very S2000 friendly. In my experience, if you can fit in the car with your helmet on and the top up, SCDA is not going to send you home. But you need to be able to run with the top up!

Now having said that, VIR does not permit a stock S2000 (without a roll bar) to run period, broomstick test or otherwise. I am not sure about the tracks at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Lightning and Thunderbolt. The State of New Jersey has some of its own rules. You need to check with Elivan at SCDA. In New Jersey you may be required to run top down and those tracks may also prohibit the stock S2000 as a matter of course. Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Thompson, Palmer, New Hampshire and New York Safety Track have all allowed me to run the stock S2000 top up. I think a stock S2000 is also OK at Pocono.

I've run with SCDA about 30 times since 2011 and I have never been broomsticked. I just drive up to the tech inspection line with the top up and no one has ever said anything or questioned whether I pass the test. But I have also seen several S2000 cases where the driver went out top down and was almost immediately pulled in because they sat up too tall.

Years ago, I was pulled in at Watkins Glen, not by SCDA but by track officials, because my helmet was clearly too high. I was running top down. I laid back a little in the seat, put the top up and have never had an issue since. I was able to finish out that two day event without further issue. Subsequently, I did put in a Buddy Seat Rail and lowered the seat by about 3/4 of an inch just in case.

The other problem for S2000 track day wannabes is that many instructors tend to shun the S2000 because of the roll bar issue. And even if you pass the broomstick test, the instructor may not. But I don't know of any novice driving an S2000 to be turned away by SCDA due to lack of an instructor. But I still think the best course is to run top up to avoid all the hassles.

In 10 years, I have been at the track when one car rolled in a HPDE event and four cars rolled in wheel to wheel racing events. In all cases, the roll bar was significant is preventing major driver injury - even in the hard tops. So the issue of whether you want to run the stock S2000 on track has to be a personal choice. It has some risk, but so does driving to and from the track. I do have a roll bar and many other items of safety equipment for my little race car. But several time a year I like to get the S2000 out on track. I just try to drive within my limits and accept the risks. Whether anyone else should do so is a personal decision.

Perhaps because of the way SCDA instructs (and I suppose vets) drivers, I feel very comfortable with the other drivers on the track - especially over the past few years. I was similarly comfortable running with NASA-NE, although I haven't run with them for several years. I'm not so sure how I would feel driving without a roll bar at a Hooked on Driving or other event where novice drivers are allowed on track with only minimal or no instruction. I spectated at Track Night in America event last year and the driving was unsophisticated - and scary.

Incidentally, if you opt to get a roll bar, you are pretty much locked into also getting harnesses and racing seats. SCDA, NASA and perhaps other organizations requires both the instructor and the driver to have the same safety equipment.

Now, on another topic, Circuit Studies has some very good webinars on Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and several other tracks. The written materials and photos can be downloaded to your computer, printed off and taken to the track. I've always been afraid of Turn 7 at the Glen and the webinar for that track has helped me change my line and made me more comfortable in the turn. I think the webinars cost $49 and if you have never been to the tracks, they are well worth the money. They are at www.circuitstudies.com. Once the webinar is downloaded, you should be able to review repeatedly.

Cheers to all and wishes for a good season. In mid-July, I'll be running the SCDA event at Watkins Glen for sure and maybe will get to meet you new guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by blueosprey90:
Rajjuhh (02-20-2019), RAP1D (02-24-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding not wanting to cut up the car because it's low mileage and great condition -- It's not for everyone but my advice is to find a beat-up car for cheap, maybe salvage title, that you don't mind cutting up. Otherwise you are going to be compromising on what you can do to the car, and then upset when your low-mileage car gets scraped up. Been there, done that.
The following users liked this post:
RAP1D (02-24-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^ agree. To add onto that, by tracking this S2000 you've accepted that it is now a disposable object for your education and fun, and you need to be OK with walking away from a crumpled, burned up ball of a wreck. There's obviously nothing wrong with taking a nice car on the track, but not cutting it up because you want to "save it" is shorting yourself on the safety side. The car will get ruined anyway, sticky tires will chip up your fenders, other cars will kick up rocks and chip your hood/bumper, rubber and rocks will get jammed in odd places, etc.

I specifically bought an ap1, 100k+ mile car with some body damage for this reason. But that's also because I'm cheap... That's what I'm told anyway. I call it value oriented.
RAP1D (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Rajjuhh and Rapid, not S2000 and not HPDE, but here is me in the MGA providing an example at 10:58 of why I still need an instructor for Lime Rock.

I had a couple of cars close on my tail wondering what my long term plans were for the field.

An S2000 guy named Cyrus C. took a neat series of photos of that move from the hill, but I can't seem to find them.

RAP1D (02-24-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

If you guys are first timers with SCDA, be sure to PM blueosprey90 or me before you sign up. With a referral you guys can get a good discount for your first event.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Rap1d did you do your first track day yet?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kshepard
Rap1d did you do your first track day yet?
I have not! I was planning on Lime Rock with SCDA on March 30th, but when I went to have my track alignment done, discovered that the eccentric bolts to adjust my front camber are seized, and that’s a huge headache to fix from what I’ve seen. I did install my ohlins, and my baffled oil pan and stainless steel lines/pads are going in this weekend, so hopefully I can sort out the camber issue in time for Lime Rock with EMRA on April 6th, or Palmer Motorsports Park with SCDA on April 6th. I may just buy new control arms and press some nice solid bushings into them.

As a side note, anyone who is in the NY area, I compiled a google calendar with events from many organizations (SCDA, Hooked on Driving, EMRA, COM, NASA). I can email it to anyone interested.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RAP1D
As a side note, anyone who is in the NY area, I compiled a google calendar with events from many organizations (SCDA, Hooked on Driving, EMRA, COM, NASA). I can email it to anyone interested.
Have NJMP events on there?