S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Fixing corner entry oversteer

Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fixing corner entry oversteer

I had the opportunity to have Randy Pobst drive my car yesterday at Pitt Race. He liked it and it was neat to see areas he drove differently. He felt like he got all out of it and was able to run a similar time to my PR, actually was on a lap that would have been faster but we caught traffic. His only complaint was a trail brake induced oversteer that actually about put us off in 3. I definitely know what he means, there are times when this car just nails it, but once it goes it goes. He drove another similarly prepped S2k and said it felt more stable, except based on data it was about 1sec slower. In fairness I think it was all in the weight difference and tune as my car is probably 100-150lbs less and I have lower Vtec. I followed and was definitely a touch faster on the straights.

My car is 225/255 staggered, stock sway bars (01), Öhlins DFV 10K/10k, -2.6/-2.6 camber, .20 rear toe. The other S2k was 265/265, HKS shocks 16k springs, I think OEM sways, not sure the alignment. Both cars have similar aero with the other car having a wide body kit. We both have aftermarket brakes I have AP SBG fronts and urge rear, he has the full SBG front rear (Wilwood front). So maybe it is a brake bias issue although I think the car felt that way before I installed the BBK.

We tried adjusting my shocks, he wanted to increase the front, except I was maxed, so we decreased the rear, which just made the rear feel slower, but the issue was still there. It was crazy to see him replicate it with so much confidence, I could not do what he could and know that I wasn’t going to spin, especially it a car that wasn’t mine.

So I am trying to figure out where to go next, I personally like the 225/255 and don’t drive competitive so I don’t necessarily want to go square. Plus I don’t think that will help, in fact in may make it worse. I am sorta thinking different shocks and stiffer springs as I am maxed on my current setup. Plus, I drove a students S2k with stiffer shocks/springs and it did feel better.

For reference my PR is 2:00, which isn’t a bad time for a stock power S2k on that track, so the car is doing something right. I only want to change ONE thing at a time and am just trying to figure out where to start. If I went with stiffer springs/shocks I would bump the camber a touch as I think that would be needed.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 AM

If it helps I think the same issue catches me here in this video on corner exit. With this corner if you hold some input it brings you back to where you want to be, although watching the video I had a bit much steering at that point. The thing is how sudden it was. It is up hill, but it goes from more uphill to less and you can hear the back end get light and see just how fast it snaps.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 AM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Few graphs here regarding sways ect the Ohlins 10k/10 with cr front sway bar & 311 rear <maybe swap out rear for 06MY>
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...1183541/page3/
Old 09-03-2018, 05:48 AM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Car Suspension Tuning Guide| Rapid-Racer.com.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM

You see it here on entry at around 1:35. Most of the time I can catch it like it this video, but it happens too often. I am thinking it is lack of rear travel with the DFVs and softer springs.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

Was the other car an AP1 or AP2? I noticed you have an AP1 - do you have an aftermarket BSK, or have you done the rear conversion to AP2?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Was the other car an AP1 or AP2? I noticed you have an AP1 - do you have an aftermarket BSK, or have you done the rear conversion to AP2?
Also an AP1, but stiffer springs. The reason I am leaning towards shock travel is it got more dramatic/sudden with aero. I need to stiffen springs, but my goal is to only add as much spring as necessary.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

Do you have a BSK? and/or does he have a BSK?

Shock travel is part of that, but it's more so the loading and unloading of that dynamic toe curve in the rear that the AP1 has. If he has a BSK and/or forward dated his car with AP2 parts, that would explain the better rear stability.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Shock travel is part of that, but it's more so the loading and unloading of that dynamic toe curve in the rear that the AP1 has. If he has a BSK and/or forward dated his car with AP2 parts, that would explain the better rear stability.
no BSK on either car, just the differences noted above. I could see what his rear toe is, maybe it is more than mine.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, the dynamic toe curve of the AP1 is greater than the AP2. So when you're hard on the brakes, the rear lifts up, and (I'm pretty sure) the rear toes out as the suspension extends causing the rear to get loose. With the other car being on stiffer springs, it may be reducing the amount of nose dive on the brakes reducing how much the rear suspension extends.

Minor driving critique as I've instructed, both hands on the wheel except when shifting For HPDE, not a big deal, but if you ever decide to go road racing where you're dicing it up with cars all over the place, you have better control with both hands on the wheel.

Quick Reply: Fixing corner entry oversteer