S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Fluid change frequency? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/fluid-change-frequency-1178157/)

engifineer 10-04-2017 12:34 PM

So I am guessing if you are using Blackstone, you are doing it between each track day ?? Unless you are just using one analysis and basing it on that, which does not account for any variables event to event (higher temp, coolant has started getting into the oil for some reason, etc). For something like a track day and the abuse that can occur AND things that can start going wrong at an event causing other issues, it seems risky to base it solely off of an analysis performed once after X track days and saying that is good.

SO, if you do it between every track day and run 4 track days a summer, then you are spending about $80 on analysis. I can change my oil roughly twice for that amount of money, so changing every 2 track days really does not cost more and you simply do an oil change instead of taking a sample to send off.

I like Blackstone, but it seems for some of the folks use cases here it juts makes sense to change it every couple of track days rather than spend the same money on the analysis each time.

I do find it interesting that some folks will base their entire service interval solely off of the Blackstone reports, but insist on running synthetic oil, when Blackstone states most of them run dino oil based upon their own research ;) So if you trust the analysis 110%, why waste your money on expensive synthetic oil? :D

Again, I like the Blackstone data AND I run synthetic, just asking because it seems people dont trust running dino oil like Blackstone says many of them do, but trust increasing their oil change intervals based upon the same lab data.

I normally run Blackstone analysis a couple of times a year on a car, simply to see how the engine is wearing, not to determine how often to change my oil.

bgoetz 10-05-2017 01:33 AM

I typically change the oil after two weekends so 8-10 hrs of track time and 1000 or so Street miles. Other fluids are annual, so 30-40hrs and 3000-4000 street miles.

King Tut 10-05-2017 04:57 AM

If you get enough blow by you can basically do an oil change every single track day. Don't ask me how I know.

FZXtreme 10-05-2017 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 24363566)
If you get enough blow by you can basically do an oil change every single track day. Don't ask me how I know.

So much this.
Before I did the Rainh8r mod, I was pouring more than a quart into the engine throughout a whole track day from so much blow by.

bgoetz 10-05-2017 05:44 AM

Lol, very true, I am tossing in 2qts per weekend!

RedCelica 10-05-2017 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_ (Post 24362559)
You change your oil on your track-only car every 6-7 track days? Are you shitting me?

Nope...not shitting you, but just dumped 1/2 a quart in for the next 3 sessions (oct/nov). It dumps a lot into the catch can. 31k on engine. Time to do the valve seals.

InsaneSp 10-24-2017 11:21 AM

Received a Blackstone analysis today. Sample was run for 5 weekends with a total of 12 hours session time. Recommendation was to increase the interval to “~20 hours and check back”. Tracks were run between May and September, for the most part all in temps at or above 85 ambient. I’ll probably extend the interval a bit and try again but 10 weekends / 24 hours sounds a bit high, even for me.

King Tut 10-24-2017 12:28 PM

Okay champ.

freq 10-24-2017 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp (Post 24373427)
Received a Blackstone analysis today. Sample was run for 5 weekends with a total of 12 hours session time. Recommendation was to increase the interval to “~20 hours and check back”. Tracks were run between May and September, for the most part all in temps at or above 85 ambient. I’ll probably extend the interval a bit and try again but 10 weekends / 24 hours sounds a bit high, even for me.

Is that w/ an oil cooler?

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 24373466)
Okay champ.

Yes, congrats. I saw 4 H2 cars and not a single H1 car at Nationals. Is that correct?

InsaneSp 10-25-2017 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24373542)
Is that w/ an oil cooler?

Yes, congrats. I saw 4 H2 cars and not a single H1 car at Nationals. Is that correct?

Yes, with an oil cooler.

Thanks! There were only two of us signed up in H1 and no amount of trash talking could get others to come out. Sebring is REALLY far down in Florida. We had the option of a refund or switching classes, so got some Hoosiers and moved to ST4.